[COMPLETE] London Labour etc., Vol 1 -Mayhew-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Diana

I've uploaded Section 2.

I've changed the introduction slightly, as there's an unnecessary duplication. The original went "London Labour and the London Poor, volume 1" (followed by the LV and reader lines, then ...) "London Labour and the London Poor, by Henry Mayhew, volume 1" (followed by chapter title and part number).

I've eliminated the second reading of the title, and added "by Henry Mayhew" to the first title reading. I've corrected this in the first section and uploaded it, too, but you don't need to download and check again, as that was the only correction.

I changed the first post in this thread to match.

EDIT: I forgot to say .... these are the changes in the text of section 2, according to the author's errata on the last page of the book:
page 5, two thirds of the way down the second column (the total of the calculation) at 6.49 in the recording, instead of 9350, I read 8850;
page 6, two thirds of the way down first column ("men, women and children") at 9.53, instead of 34, 205, I read 28506;
and a few lines later ("at between" ..) at 10.06, instead of "30 and 40 thousand", I read "25 and 30 thousand."

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on August 5th, 2018, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
dii

Post by dii »

Hi Peter,

only one note for section 2:
7:57 (second line of p.6) - end of word (subsistence) is cut off

(note to myself: s.3 starts at p.24)
Diana
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Diana, I've corrected that.

... and I apologise for not telling you where the sections start; I'll do that from now on.

Peter
dii

Post by dii »

Edit OK!

No worries, I'd just realised myself that I should have noted it down :) Thanks!
Diana
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'll be uploading the next section later today or tomorrow.

Anne; I've changed the summary slightly, to put in our usual warning about language that would nowadays be found offensive.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll change the database then

Anne
Done however I do think modern readers might find some of the language of similar people quite offensive nowadays :D

Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Anne; I'll warn you again if I think of any other changes to make after I've read a few more hundred pages.

Yes, I'd be happy to leave the warning out, as surely any modern reader of works from a hundred years ago should be prepared for changes in behaviour ... but the warning seems to have become a part of our system, and it can't do any harm. I wonder if we've ever had any complaints about offensive language in our recordings?

When you look at the language used in most forums, it would have been shocking to our parents, let alone our great-grandparents. There's a lovely novel called "Time and Again" by Jack Finney, where a man from our time goes back to around the turn of the 19th/20th century. He later brings someone back to our time, and he sees her shock when she looks at a modern novel, which he thought to himself was quite mild, and thought that she would probably have fainted if she had read some of the other books.

One of my favourites, that I return to every few years.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 3 uploaded.

The recording starts at "The London Street Markets on a Saturday Night" on page 9 of the document.

1 I've no idea what "ing-uns" are (at about 2.52) in "An 'aypenny a lot ing-uns."
2 Errata from the last page affect the table of markets on page 11. Total for the Surrey side is 764 (at 13.15) and for the Middlesex side is 3147 (at 14.37). I've checked the arithmetic (some of the numbers are difficult to see because of the print quality).
3 Errata for the line at the top of the second column on page 11: "... markets is 3911, giving an average of 105 to each market." (at 14.55)

Recording finishes in the second column on page 16.

EDIT: Oh, and I've rather erratically rendered "halfpenny" as "half penny" and "hay penny" (or "hayp nee"). "Hay penny" (written sometimes as "ha'penny" in conversations in Mayhew) is how we pronounced it up until decimalisation in 1971. Please do tell me if you feel that it would sound better if I were consistent. In fact, I still talk about pennies and tuppenny bits, rather than one P or two P.

I think many of these markets still exist. I've been to a few. Some of my crockery comes from Whitecross Street market (and my fake Raybans), and I used to eat my lunch in Leather Lane Market. I've not been to "The Brill" that Mayhew describes (under Sunday markets), and don't know if it still exists; Brill Place still exists to the west of St Pancras Station and is only a couple of streets from Chalton Street market ... which he doesn't list, but I used to go to quite often - perhaps the Brill moved. I'll have a look next time I'm up that way.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on November 10th, 2017, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dii

Post by dii »

Section 3 is OK! :clap:
Diana
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Diana,
Here's section 4.

Peter
dii

Post by dii »

Hi Peter,

section 4 is OK but in the last third (from about min 17-18) until the end there is some chiming in the background. Do you have windbells? I personally don't find it distracting but I've never heard them before in your recordings. You can hear a louder example at 22:51 when you say "you might say sir - remarked one of my informants".
Diana
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Diana,

I can't hear the chiming, myself, though I've probably lost quite a bit of sensitivity to high frequencies as my body ages. It may be the sound of the clock in my kitchen, which is next door, with the door usually open when I record. I do try to remember to move the clock to another room, but may have forgotten for this section.

As you said it's not too intrusive, I'll leave it ... and will try to remember to silence my clock in future ... but please tell me if you hear it again. From now on I'll keep the temporary files that I record for each part of the section, to see if I can find out what's going on.

I was curious about the workers being "Chartists" and looked the word up on wikipedia. Fascinating; they were pressing for what just seem reasonable rights these days. It's good to think that some things have improved, even if not as far as they should have.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 5 has been re-uploaded, PL'd okay

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/londonlabour_005_mayhew_128kb.mp3
(33.24)

Section 5 ends on PDF page 46 (text page 26). Section 6 starts with "On the conveyances of the costermongers" on that page.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Peter - one more crossed off my list

Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

... and a new one! I've uploaded section 6.

EDIT: Erratum at 23.24. Just under half way down the text page 30: ".... so that reckoning each to cost this barrow-letter 2l. each, he receives 360l. rent or interest - exactly 150 per cent. per annum ..." The "each" before the comma is deleted.

If you hear chimes in the background, Diana, I'm going to my G.P. to get my hearing checked, as I can't hear them. It'd be rather sad to go deaf before finishing Mayhew. (EDIT: I mis-wrote you as "linny'" when I first put this note in the thread; she's PLing a solo on mathematics for me.)

Peter