[COMPLETE] London Labour etc., Vol 1 -Mayhew-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thanks, Peter. I wasn't sure if there was any legal need to keep absolutely true to the original text.

PL for Section 18:

9:59 missing "they are" before "as I said before" p105 column 2 para 4
16:39 extra "to" in "began to add [to] the sale of ..." p106 column 2 para 3
24:49 missing "at all" - does not affect understanding but loses the nuance of the Irish phrase "at all at all" p107 column 2 para 3 (more than halfway down)
27:04 longish pause before "Jesus Christ?" p108 para 3
29:30 "led by the button" should be "held by the button" p108 column 2 para 1
[35:15 you read "cited at p47": the last time (in Section 17) this appeared in the text you didn't say it. Should such citations be included in the verbal version? Or perhaps mention the section instead. Just checking.]
46:07 "selfish" should be "sottish" p110 second last line
47:46 there's a bit of noise during the end silence.
GillH

Post by GillH »

I started Spot PL-ing Section 17 but perhaps this is still the original recording as it still says "Part 1" and "No. 3" is still missing.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's odd about section 17; I just downloaded it and heard "volume one". It's possible your computer is using a cached copy of the file, rather than getting hold of the updated one. If you look at the details of the downloaded file, it should show "created 7th August".

Thanks for the PL'd section 18. I'll upload later today.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Gill,
I've uploaded the edited Section 18.
Thanks,
Peter

P.S. By the way, I occasionally listen to a radio program called "Tweet of the day", which includes bird song. There was one about the swift last week and I couldn't hear the bird song at all. I've just had a hearing check and am losing high frequency sensitivity (age-related), so please do point out any odd noises, as you have for the last few seconds of section 18.

Peter

9:59 missing "they are" before "as I said before" p105 column 2 para 4
[Corrected]

16:40 extra "to" in "began to add [to] the sale of ..." p106 column 2 para 3
[Corrected]

24:50 missing "at all" - does not affect understanding but loses the nuance of the Irish phrase "at all at all" p107 column 2 para 3 (more than halfway down)
[Corrected]

27:05 longish pause before "Jesus Christ?" p108 para 3
[I've shortened this, but have often left a slightly longer gap where Mayhew has obviously asked a question, so there's a change of direction in the interview between the two sentences.]

29:30 "led by the button" should be "held by the button" p108 column 2 para 1
[Corrected]

[35:15 you read "cited at p47": the last time (in Section 17) this appeared in the text you didn't say it. Should such citations be included in the verbal version? Or perhaps mention the section instead. Just checking.]
[[I've not changed this. I scanned quickly through the text for Section 17, and only found one reference to a page number: on page 99, top of second column "... and the meat-pie stand, I have before described, p. 27." This I did record. With only a quick look, I may have missed the reference you mean. But generally, if a page number is given within the text, it is actually read, as missing it out would disturb the flow. However, if a page reference is given in brackets, it's generally missed out. In one of my solos, whenever the author referred to another part of his book, I did put in a reader's note pointing to the appropriate section of my recording, but this has come to be frowned on at LibriVox and, thinking of it, was probably of little use to the listeners.]]

46:07 "selfish" should be "sottish" p110 second last line
[Corrected]

47:46 there's a bit of noise during the end silence.
[deamplified by 20dB]
GillH

Post by GillH »

Sorry to hear that, Peter. I hope it doesn't affect you much day to day.

I'm taking the audio file from the MW. I checked again and it's still the old version. Is there another way to access it?
GillH

Post by GillH »

Meanwhile I can continue to PL 19 and 20.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'll upload 17 and 18 to an external cloud storage site and put the link here. But it would be worth putting a note in the Help Wanted thread, explaining the problem.

I hadn't really noticed the change in my hearing, but now I've seen the test results, I'm going to have to do something about it. Beethoven got along with his deafness; I should be able to, at least, finish Mr Mayhew.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on August 7th, 2017, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 17 PL OK
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 18 PL:
0:04 "Part 1" said instead of "Volume 1" (Sorry for not catching this before.)
Otherwise great.
I especially love your "at all at all"!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Gill; I'm only allowing myself just a touch of Irish sound, otherwise it would become too much of a caricature.

I'm going to go through all the sections completed so far to check for "volume one". I'll post a note when I'm done, but please don't bother to download them for checking.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can spot check them if you want . I checked my folder, and 17 is there for both dates , with the older one with its datestamp ending

Could I suggest deleting the file before downloading the one to spot check ?

Anne
GillH

Post by GillH »

Section 19 PL:
0:05 “Part 1” instead of “Volume 1”
8:51 missing “to sir” in “to Sir G. Grey” bottom of 1st column p112
c13:58 Audible click before section “Of the Diet …” p113
26: 22 halfpenny 1st paragraph p115
30:44 slightly unclear “to be able to remit” p115 2nd column para 3
39:53 “countrymen” instead of “countrywomen” top of p117

Note re transliteration "th" in words spoken by Irish 'characters', e.g. in "thrue":
I think this is meant to be a voiced "t", i.e. a "t" with a breath behind it. People from Cork generally don't pronounce a "th" (as in "the" or "think").
I'm not suggesting you re-do these parts (!).
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Anne;

Yes, please delete the older section 17. I put a copy of my edited file on a cloud storage site for Gill, as he's having problems downloading my updated files. He's done the spot check now.

Can I delete my files from Ruth's folder? I thought it could only be done by admins.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry I wasn't clear - I was suggesting Gill deleted the older file , that way he can be sure he's right. Same with you , . Either Peter is not uploading the file he thinks he is , or Gill is not spot checking the file he has just downloaded. So you both need to check :D

Anne