LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently April 26th, 2017, 2:53 am

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted:: June 23rd, 2016, 11:34 am 

A History Of England by Charles Oman (1860 - 1946).

Quote:
A comprehensive one volume history of England from Celtic and Roman times through the end of the nineteenth century. ( Pattymarie)

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47753?msg=welcome_stranger
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: history, england

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A History Of England. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A History Of England, by Charles Oman. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A History Of England by Charles Oman. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A History Of England, by Charles Oman. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename historyofengland_##_oman.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. historyofengland_01_oman.mp3)

[b]Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Post Posted:: June 23rd, 2016, 3:51 pm 

Today, June 23, marks the 70th anniversary of the passing of the eminent and eminently enjoyable historian, Charles Oman, so as of tomorrow it'll be legal for me to upload recordings of his engaging work.

Post Posted:: June 23rd, 2016, 4:55 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

In most juristicians copyright laws are like racehorses who all have the same birthday , I think it's the first of August for horses. With copyright it's usually January first, the year after the actual death, but I do not claim to be a copyright lawyer , or for that matter a racehorse breeder :D

Anne

Post Posted:: June 24th, 2016, 4:03 pm 

Oh dear. If that's the case, I 'll hold on to the the chapter I've recorded and keep on recording to upload when it's legal to.

For the month of August I will be in the US where this book has long been in the public domain as it was published in 1895 with a second edition released in 1919, so perhaps I could upload what I get done by then and do there during that month, then wait 'til January to upload the rest.

Thanks for the info, Annise.

Post Posted:: June 24th, 2016, 4:17 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

That would be perfectly legal as far as I know :D

Anne

Post Posted:: June 24th, 2016, 6:30 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Would you like me to set it up so you have somewhere safe to put any while you are in the USA and label it not to be catalogued till next January 1st (your time not mine :D )
Unless of course you record it all while you are there.

Anne

Post Posted:: June 26th, 2016, 12:17 pm 

Thank you, Annise. I see you've set it up. I should have several files to upload early in August.

Post Posted:: January 26th, 2017, 5:26 pm 

Here is chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/historyofengland_01_oman.mp3 Duration 38:33

I hope we'll get a dpl.

Post Posted:: January 26th, 2017, 10:01 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I've put up the wanted DPL banner (~ in the header)
I'll add this one to the MW and added a couple of titles. Do you know how to do it yourself ?

Anne

Post Posted:: January 27th, 2017, 9:27 am 

I hadn't known how to add titles but intuitively guessed and have added a few more myself. How to add the tilde is still a bit of admins' esoterica to me.

Post Posted:: January 27th, 2017, 11:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

All looks good - I wasn't sure if you could access the MW . Adding the tilde id easy , just a case of editing the heading of your first post :D . I usually do it when I set up the MW .
I'll move this into the new projects for a couple of days for prospective Dpls to see

Anne

Post Posted:: January 27th, 2017, 12:08 pm 

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC

Post Posted:: January 27th, 2017, 12:42 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Welcome Dave
The delay in this starting was caused because Patty is Canadian and it only became PD there on the 1st January. So she had to wait a few months.

Anne

Post Posted:: January 27th, 2017, 12:56 pm 

1 PL OK.

Well, we are off to a rousing start.

Post Posted:: January 28th, 2017, 2:40 pm 

Thank you, Dave. I'll try to get a new chapter up soon. Just found the correct pronunciations of most of the English place names in chapter two - will have to wing it for a few.