[COMPLETE] Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan by William Elliot Griffis - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan by William Elliot Griffis (1843 - 1928).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/japanese-fairy-world-by-william-elliot-griffis/
William Elliot Griffis born in Philadelphia in 1843, was an educator, author and Congregational minister. In 1870 he was invited to go to Japan in order to modernize the school system and became the Superintendent of Education in the Province of Echizen. Whilst there he became interested in the folk lore, legends and stories of the East and began to collect tales from the story tellers that he met with and the literature that he found there. The thirty five wonderful stories in this collection are some of the ones that he found and fortunately decided to share with us. Note: The "Contents" only lists 34 Stories but there is an extra one between No. 25 and No. 26, giving 35 stories in all. ( Noel Badrian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/japanesefairywor00grifrich
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Japan, fairy tales, myths, Legends

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan, by William Elliot Griffis. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan by William Elliot Griffis. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Japanese Fairy World: Stories from the wonder-lore of Japan, by William Elliot Griffis. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename japanesefairyworld_##_griffis_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. japanesefairyworld_01_griffis_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by NoelBadrian on October 4th, 2019, 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi,
Lynda ( Lmnei ) has kindly agreed to be the Proof Listener on this project.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

:hmm:
There is an editorial error in the Contents page of the book.
"The Waterfall of Yoro, or the Fountain of Youth" should have been Story No. 26. but was omitted from the Contents in this edition although the story is in the book (pages 218-222)
Should I number the stories consecutively regardless or just add this one as "..." like a later edition does (i.e. the Gutenberg one from 1887) in order to keep the numbering consistent with the "Contents" -- In fact should I just change to reading the Gutenberg edition - The text is the same - it is only the Contents Page which was altered?
Noel
Noel's Recordings

craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

NoelBadrian wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 12:30 pm There is an editorial error in the Contents page of the book.
"The Waterfall of Yoro, or the Fountain of Youth" should have been Story No. 26. but was omitted from the Contents in this edition although the story is in the book (pages 218-222). Should I number the stories consecutively regardless or just add this one as "..." like a later edition does (i.e. the Gutenberg one from 1887) in order to keep the numbering consistent with the "Contents" -- In fact should I just change to reading the Gutenberg edition - The text is the same - it is only the Contents Page which was altered?
Noel
I don't know that it matters which source you use since as you note the texts are the same. I would read "as is" and use the numbering in the text (Story rather than chapter number, e.g. Story 1..., Story 2..., etc.). The story with no number could be the "Story between 25 and 26." After this story the story and section numbers will be different. In the book summary you can mention the table of contents issue.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

craigdav1 wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 3:02 pm
NoelBadrian wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 12:30 pm There is an editorial error in the Contents page of the book.
"The Waterfall of Yoro, or the Fountain of Youth" should have been Story No. 26. but was omitted from the Contents in this edition although the story is in the book (pages 218-222). Should I number the stories consecutively regardless or just add this one as "..." like a later edition does (i.e. the Gutenberg one from 1887) in order to keep the numbering consistent with the "Contents" -- In fact should I just change to reading the Gutenberg edition - The text is the same - it is only the Contents Page which was altered?
Noel
I don't know that it matters which source you use since as you note the texts are the same. I would read "as is" and use the numbering in the text (Story rather than chapter number, e.g. Story 1..., Story 2..., etc.). The story with no number could be the "Story between 25 and 26." After this story the story and section numbers will be different. In the book summary you can mention the table of contents issue.
Cool, I never thought of that, sounds like a winner! Thanks.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Summary has been amended and Story Titles added to the MW.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

The Preface is ready for PL.
Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Section 1 is ready for a PL
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel!

Well, I finally got enough internet speed on this cruise ship to download some recordings to PL!

Your recordings are perfect as normal, however using checker they are showing a medium amount of noise. I am not a very good judge of noise right now due to being on a ship - can you take a peek at both of them again please and perhaps noise clean if you get the same result?

If not, no issue, I will just mark them as PL OK.

Lynda
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hello Lynda,
Just back from our little vacation. I have done the necessary with those two files and reuploaded them. Hopefully a bit better now.
Regards, Noel
Noel's Recordings

NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Section 2 is ready for PL
Noel
Noel's Recordings

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Noel!

I have recovered from the flu now and Sections 0, 1 and 2 are all PL OK!

I hope you had a great mini-vacation!

Have a great day!

Lynda
NoelBadrian

Post by NoelBadrian »

Hi Lynda,
Good to hear you are better! It was great to get away for a while although the weather was not entirely kind to us.
I have Section 3 ready for your attention.
regards, Noel
Noel's Recordings