[COMPLETE] Le Paradise Perdu de Milton (Chateaubriand) - ava

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:The second part of Book 11 is ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_18_milton_128kb.mp3.
well done :clap: not many errors in this one !!!! :thumbs:

And I see we almost reached the end here. By my count, the final book can be done in one section of about 50 minutes. Which is still a long recording, but compared to what we already went through, this is quite feasible.

PL notes for this one:

> at 0:33 (p. 254 bottom): "des parcs" – ‘k’ at he end should be pronounced, like in English

> at 1:00 (p. 254 bottom): un berger plus doux vint – I hear “tout doux” I think :hmm:

> at 2:00 (p. 255 top): et en hâte cria à l’ange – no liaison with “hâte”

> at 2:32 (p. 255 middle): mais l’action sanguinaire sera vengée – there should be no ‘u’ sound in ‘gui’, the ‘u’ is only there so the ‘g-i’ would not be pronounced ‘ji’

> at 11:40 (p.258 bottom): il en forma d’abord ses propres outils – the ‘l’ in outil is never pronounced, simply say /outi/

> at 20:15 (p. 261 bottom): dix mille fois - should be /di-mil/ (it also sounds more fluent). The /ss/ at the end of “dix” is only pronounced with the single digit and not in number-combinations. Same goes for “six”, you would also say /si-mil/

The rest perfect !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thank you for your praise and your pointers. The end is in sight. Please check corrections at
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_18_milton_128kb.mp3

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yep, excellently corrected, all of them :thumbs:

PL ok now :)

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Thanks, Sonia, but this morning I got to thinking and decided that the reason you heard "tout doux" rather than "plus doux" was not the consonant but the vowel, so I went back and tried again. Would you check https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_18_milton_128kb.mp3 just once more and see is I did it better?

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:Thanks, Sonia, but this morning I got to thinking and decided that the reason you heard "tout doux" rather than "plus doux" was not the consonant but the vowel, so I went back and tried again. Would you check https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_18_milton_128kb.mp3 just once more and see is I did it better?

Tom
honestly, I think before it was a bit better :( this one sounds more like "puis". I don't think I would have understood it if I hadn't known what it was supposed to be. Sorry :oops: It was ok in the previous file.

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

EEEK! Well, sometimes things are better left as they are. I'll fix it. I do have the previous version, so you need not check it again. As Sancho Panza used to say, "It only hurts to stir it."

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Hi, Sonia, I have finished reading Book 12. You can find it here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/paradisperdu_19_milton_128kb.mp3. Enjoy.

You will find some discrepancies between my reading and the Gallica text, like the addition of "et" in "des cérémonies extérieures et des formalités spécieuses." These are proofreading hints accepted by Paul Gosselin, the editor of the Samizdat edition, which is based on the Gallica edition that we're using. Where he chose not to take my advice, I decided to defer to his judgment, even conceding the textual "acception" in preference to "acceptation," as a translation of Milton's "acceptance." I suppose it could be Chateaubriand's own peculiar quirk.

Of all the combinations of sounds, "sur la" and "sur le" are the hardest for me to master.

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: you really did it ! The final chapter is in the box. :9: I am so happy it can be done in one section, even though it was a long one. But compared to your very first chapter, the corrections on this one are practically non-existant. I only found 8 minor things, mostly pronunciations :thumbs: Really good job.

I loved the sensitive tone of voice you have at the very end when A&E have the entire world before them. :D
chymocles wrote:You will find some discrepancies between my reading and the Gallica text, like the addition of "et" in "des cérémonies extérieures et des formalités spécieuses." These are proofreading hints accepted by Paul Gosselin, the editor of the Samizdat edition, which is based on the Gallica edition that we're using.
I did not notice this one LOL but I noticed another error which you corrected subconsciously I guess, maybe you want to tell your friend: on p. 280 "troupeau infidèle" - in the book is written "troupeau fidèle" which doesn't make sense in the context of course. You correctly said "infidèle"

Ok here are the last corrections to make (how does this feel ?):

> at 5:28: "un hideux babil se propage parmi les architectes" (p. 269 bottom): no liaison with hideux, it's like hibou, you say "le hideux" not "l'hideux"

> at 6:22: "nous tenons ce droit de sa concession" (p. 270 top) - I hear "son"

> at 7:57: "conséquemment" (p. 270 middle) - this is pronounced with an "a" /con-sé-cam-ment/ the "-emm-" syllable is practically always pronounced "amm" as far as I know

> at 15:37:"ainsi dompté par dix plaies" (p. 273 middle) - the 'x' in "dix" is not pronounced before consonants( with exception of numbers like 19). so here /di plaies/

> at 31:11: "celui qui vient ton Sauveur" (p. 278 middle) - I hear more "saveur" here :mrgreen: which is a bit of a difference

> at 34:55: "en les lavant de la souillure du péché" (p. 279 bottom) - you say /swi-ure/ but it's /sou-iure/

> at 36:46: "rempli de joie d'admiration" (p. 280 middle) - so is the original "full of joy and admiration" or "full of joy of admiration" ? because you insert a "et" here which is not in the book

> at 48:14: "en moi, plus de retardement" (p. 283 bottom) - I think here she means "in me there is no more hesitating" (or am I wrong ?), so this "plus" means "not anymore" and not "more", therefore the 's' should not be pronounced, or else you say the complete opposite of the meaning

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Et voilà, on a fini :clap: it's PL ok now. You did a great job here, Tom, I'm really in awe of what you have achieved over the last months now. I think it's a great addition to the catalogue.

And I'm happy that it's wrapped up now :9:
Oh and we can delete the final unused section :mrgreen:

Now I'm looking forward to seeing the cover on this. Will you be doing it yourself ?

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I've uploaded the cover: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785&p=1409822#p1409822. I hope I did it right.

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oops found one error: it's "le" not "la" domaine publique. I hope you manage to correct that without too much difficulty :?

otherwise, cool picture !

Sonia
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

I'm glad you took the trouble to check. I'll fix it.

Tom
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Ii did fix it, and I left a note in the original post to that effect. Since I was able to edit the post, I assume that it had not yet been read, so all is well if the new ZIP file replaced the old one as is done with sound files. Again, thank you very much for all your painstaking work!

About the picture—John Martin made two sets of mezzotints to illustrate Paradise Lost, one for the folio edition and one for the quarto (same basic designs but with different emphases). He also made one or two oils of some of the studies. His landscapes were used (for models and inspiration) by either Cecil B. DeMille or D. W. Griffith in his films; I forget which. Martin's are my favorite illustrations.

Tom
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

chymocles wrote:Ii did fix it, and I left a note in the original post to that effect. Since I was able to edit the post, I assume that it had not yet been read, so all is well if the new ZIP file replaced the old one as is done with sound files. Again, thank you very much for all your painstaking work!
No you can always edit your posts. But as long as nobody (usually Bart or Annise) replied to you that they caught and linked the file, nothing has happened yet. We will monitor it once the project is up.

have you notified Ava that it's finished ?
About the picture—John Martin made two sets of mezzotints to illustrate Paradise Lost, one for the folio edition and one for the quarto (same basic designs but with different emphases). He also made one or two oils of some of the studies. His landscapes were used (for models and inspiration) by either Cecil B. DeMille or D. W. Griffith in his films; I forget which. Martin's are my favorite illustrations.
I love the picture too although the really white figures for A&E are a bit creepy in it. They stick out in their whiteness compared to the rest of the picture.

Sonia