[COMPLETE][SOLO]The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
valroth

Post by valroth »

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum (1856 - 1919)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/wonderful-wizard-of-oz-version-9-by-l-frank-baum/
In the introduction of L. Frank Baum’s most enduring tale, the author writes that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was “... a modernized fairy tale in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heartaches and nightmares are left out” (Baum, 1900). More than a century later, Baum’s story (with the help of the enchanting 1939 Hollywood movie) still resonates in the hearts of “today’s children”—and in those of the older ones too!
(Summary by Val Roth )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55

Target completion date: 2023-06-10

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wonderfulwizardofoz_##_baum_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wonderfulwizardofoz_01_baum_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by valroth on August 7th, 2023, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

valroth wrote: April 25th, 2023, 9:05 am
I just wanted to butt in and say - I think you have a voice wonderfully suited for this story! Looking forward to listening with my inner child mind.
valroth

Post by valroth »

quartertone wrote: April 25th, 2023, 9:50 am
valroth wrote: April 25th, 2023, 9:05 am
I just wanted to butt in and say - I think you have a voice wonderfully suited for this story! Looking forward to listening with my inner child mind.
Ohhh so lovely of you to say this, Q. Thank you! This is my first solo project, so I hope to get it launched soon (and that process still remains a bit of a mystery to me!) :D
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just fyi this will be the 9th version. You can do it - (it's just hard to design a different cover :D )

It will get launched when an MC has room to take it on - I don't at present and there often seems to be a rush of projects to catalogue around the end of the month. Anne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Val, so I see you settled for a first solo. I'll MC and DPL unless you have someone else lined up already. Though I know the story I have never read the book, only watched the famous Judy Garland performance. We'll change that now.

I'm going to open your MW for you now and then you'll be the BC of your own solo. It means, filling in the titles of your chapters, pasting the finished links, noting down the length and setting the status to Ready for PL. And don't worry, it's not that complicated ;)

More instructions in a few minutes...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is up and ready. I already filled out a few sections so you can see what it could look like.

To log into the MW, press the BC/Admin button right underneath it. If it doesn't recognize your password right away, click "forgot password" and you can make a new one for the MW login via email. Usually then it should work.

Filling out the MW is fairly straightforward. All you need to do for the moment is writing in the titles of the chapters.

And then we'll be ready to move to Going Solo.

If you have any questions still, just ask :)

Have fun !

Sonia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sonia,

I don't know if you have had the chance to work with Val before, but you will thoroughly enjoy it. I know this will end up special.

Good luck Val, and have fun. My only regret is I won't be able to listen to it as it goes along as DPL.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
valroth

Post by valroth »

annise wrote: April 25th, 2023, 9:49 pm Just fyi this will be the 9th version. You can do it - (it's just hard to design a different cover :D )

It will get launched when an MC has room to take it on - I don't at present and there often seems to be a rush of projects to catalogue around the end of the month. Anne
Thanks Anne,

Yes it’s likely a little redundant to add yet another version but I simply can’t resist! Finding a “stand out” PD picture may be the bigger challenge, but I’ll do my best. Hoping version 9 can hold its own! :D

Val
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: April 26th, 2023, 11:37 amMy only regret is I won't be able to listen to it as it goes along as DPL.
sorry I was too fast assuming no one was lined up as DPL....I gladly relinquish it to you, I'm already involved as MC here, and I have 24 other DPL projects, so one less will actually be relieving me a bit. :lol:

I switched us gladly, and I'm sure Val will enjoy working with you as well. (you have access now)

Sonia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wow,

:9:
Thank you so much. This is really a pleasant surprise. Maybe we should check with the star first? :hmm:

Wayne
Wayne
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kalamareader wrote: April 26th, 2023, 12:55 pm Wow,

:9:
Thank you so much. This is really a pleasant surprise. Maybe we should check with the star first? :hmm:

Wayne
Really Wayne!? You’ll take this on? (I wasn’t sure you if actually wanted another project, but I’m thrilled!) Thank you so much and wow, now the pressure is on! (By the way, I pm’d you… did you get that?)

A huge thank you to you and Sonia for helping me launch my first solo project! (And for inspiration, I will try to find some ruby slippers to wear while recording! :lol:

Val
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I replied to the PM before reading your post. :oops:

edit: Oh, I was going to mention, when I was in High School, we did a series of 'Play Cuts' from various plays. I chose to do the "If I Were King of the Forest" scene by the Cowardly Lion. It was a lot of fun. (And no, Frank Baum was NOT in the audience :lol: )
Wayne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well since the team is complete, we'll move to Going Solo. Or should I say "We're off to see the wizard..."

Sonia
valroth

Post by valroth »

Kalamareader wrote: April 26th, 2023, 2:00 pm I replied to the PM before reading your post. :oops:

edit: Oh, I was going to mention, when I was in High School, we did a series of 'Play Cuts' from various plays. I chose to do the "If I Were King of the Forest" scene by the Cowardly Lion. It was a lot of fun. (And no, Frank Baum was NOT in the audience :lol: )
:lol: That’s one of my favourite scenes, Wayne! Wish I’d been there to see it!

Because my family are uber-fans of the movie, every once in a while I’ll belt out my questionable version of “If I Were Kind of the Foressssssst” (tremolo and all!) just to get a laugh. After all, a little injection of humour is useful in almost any conversation…especially when there’s an impasse. :lol:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

valroth wrote: April 26th, 2023, 3:46 pm “If I Were Kind :hmm: of the Foressssssst”
Wayne