LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 18th, 2017, 2:54 pm


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 9  [ 127 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 6:08 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
Thank you.

I'll edit and upload as soon as possible.

I thought I should use "section" instead of "chapter" because I am sectioning them out arbitrarily and not following the chapters of the book. due to the length issue.

However, I will use "Chapter X, part X" from now on. Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 7:41 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Posts: 14675
Location: Dancing by de bayou!
AmalArRumaih wrote:
Thank you.

I'll edit and upload as soon as possible.

I thought I should use "section" instead of "chapter" because I am sectioning them out arbitrarily and not following the chapters of the book. due to the length issue.

However, I will use "Chapter X, part X" from now on. Thank you.

As Linny noted, you can use whichever you want as the soloist, just change the first post to show what it will be so the DPL knows what to expect. It is usually best to get one section PLed and fixed and everything agreed upon before uploading more, that way everyone has a sort of template to follow and keep things consistent. Ask if anything is unclear. :D

_________________
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
Safety first! Just kidding. Coffee first, safety is third or fourth down the list.

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 7:44 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Posts: 14675
Location: Dancing by de bayou!
Linny. Are you volunteering to be the DPL or just doing some sections to get things started? Either way would be great!

_________________
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
Safety first! Just kidding. Coffee first, safety is third or fourth down the list.

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 8:01 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
linny wrote:
Congratulations on getting started! That's always the hardest part. :clap:

PL notes for section 1:

Intro you say section 1. The initial post says chapter so I was expecting to hear, part 1, chapter 1. You can change the recording or the initial post depending on which way you prefer it.

10:39 Duplicate “his arm”

Ending: Section v. chapter. Also, only the final chapter will close with “End of Ulysses, by James Joyce.”

Noise in opening and ending silence.

You have numerous mouse clicks throughout the recording. I’m not sure if you remembered to noise clean. I used the ending silence as a noise profile and cleaned the section. The mouse click issue was improved after that. While mouse clicks can be edited out it would be dreadfully time-consuming. Possibly, by listening to the ones noted, you can see a pattern for how you record and modify your recording style slightly to eliminate them.
I’ve noted the most noticeable mouse clicks 4:38, 4:40, 5:05, 5:08, 5:16, 5:22, 5:33, 6:31, 6:41, 6:53, 7:10, 7:39, 7:43, 7:48, 8:02, 8:14, 8:36, 8:40, 8:50, 9:35, 10:15, 10:36, 11:14, 11:26, 11:39, 12:06, 12:25, 12:51, 13:01, 13:05, 13:35, 13:37, 13:49, 14:11, 14:14, 14:35, 14:47, 14:54, 14:56, 14:57, 14:59, 15:04, 15:15, 15:22, 15:31, 15:40, 15:44, 15:50, 15:59, 16:14, 16:28, 16:48, 16:53, 16:58, 17:10, 17:19, 17:49, 18:00, 18:02, 18:09, 18:20, 18:25, 18:30, 18:37, 18:48, 19:00, 19:07, 19:27, 19:33, 19:59.


Hi linny,

1- I have re-uploaded it using the "Chapter one, Part one intro".

2- About the duplication in 10:39, I checked and there was no duplication, the repetition was in the book, so I left it as is.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4300

"—Cracked lookingglass of a servant! Tell that to the oxy chap downstairs and touch him for a guinea. He's stinking with money and thinks you're not a gentleman. His old fellow made his tin by selling jalap to Zulus or some bloody swindle or other. God, Kinch, if you and I could only work together we might do something for the island. Hellenise it.

Cranly's arm. His arm.

—And to think of your having to beg from these swine. I'm the only one that knows what you are. Why don't you trust me more? What have you up your nose against me? Is it Haines? If he makes any noise here I'll bring down Seymour and we'll give him a ragging worse than they gave Clive Kempthorpe."

3- I edited out all the mouse clickings that I could and I found a bunch more and tried to remove them as well. I hope it is mouse-click free now.

4- I tried to noise reduce it a few more time and I think the quality is a lot better now.

Thanks.


Last edited by AmalArRumaih on June 25th, 2016, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 8:10 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
philchenevert wrote:
AmalArRumaih wrote:
Thank you.

I'll edit and upload as soon as possible.

I thought I should use "section" instead of "chapter" because I am sectioning them out arbitrarily and not following the chapters of the book. due to the length issue.

However, I will use "Chapter X, part X" from now on. Thank you.

As Linny noted, you can use whichever you want as the soloist, just change the first post to show what it will be so the DPL knows what to expect. It is usually best to get one section PLed and fixed and everything agreed upon before uploading more, that way everyone has a sort of template to follow and keep things consistent. Ask if anything is unclear. :D


You mean that I should start to write the name of the sections early on?


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 11:22 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Posts: 14675
Location: Dancing by de bayou!
Quote:
You mean that I should start to write the name of the sections early on?

Not sure what you mean. But you, as soloist, can decide certain things like saying 'part ' or 'section' instead of chapter if there is no chapter and if you are dividing up the book yourself. You should decide this and then actually modify the first post of the project to show what you will be reading for the entire book. Does this make sense? I know it's confusing for someone new to LibriVox so please keep asking questions. EDIT: this is standard proof listening, is that what you want?

EDIT: This is how it reads now.
Quote:
START of recording (Intro):
"Chapter [number] of Ulysses. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Ulysses, by James Joyce. [Chapter]"


For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of Ulysses by James Joyce. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"

_________________
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
Safety first! Just kidding. Coffee first, safety is third or fourth down the list.

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 3:48 pm 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
philchenevert wrote:
Linny. Are you volunteering to be the DPL or just doing some sections to get things started? Either way would be great!

Just helping out. I'm afraid to get over committed as I'm in the middle of an MBA capstone course with a ton of large deliverables. I'll keep an eye on the project until a DPL tags in.

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 4:08 pm 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
Amal,
Very nicely done. That must have taken ages but the results are wonderful. I hope in the future you can find a way to record such that you don't have as much editing to do. I don't record straight to the computer so I can't offer any words of advice.

Intro/ending. You changed the opening to Part 1, Chapter 1 but the ending is section 1. The ending also contains the additional words "End of Ulysses, by James Joyce". This should only be read in the final section.

If you want to say sections instead of chapters that's ok, just change the wording in the opening post. Both the intro and ending should be consistent. Right now you start with chapter and end with section.

When you re-upload, the section should be toggled to "ready for spot check".

Only advice I have for moving forward is you may want to take a look at leveling. While your overall volume is on target there are some areas which are very quiet compared to other areas. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Levelling

_________________
My DPL list


Last edited by linny on June 25th, 2016, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 25th, 2016, 4:17 pm 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
Please select one of the following. Please copy your selection and edit it in the first project post.

START of recording (Intro):

"Part [number] Chapter [number] of Ulysses. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Ulysses, by James Joyce."



For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

"Part[number] Chapter [number] of Ulysses by James Joyce. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"



END of recording:

At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Part/Chapter]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Ulysses, by James Joyce. "

or

START of recording (Intro):

"Section[number] of Ulysses. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Ulysses, by James Joyce."



For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

"Section[number] of Ulysses by James Joyce. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"



END of recording:

At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Section]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Ulysses, by James Joyce. "

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 1st, 2016, 5:22 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
Thank you both for your patience and your advice. I really appreciate it.

I think I will stick with this intro since I am sectioning out the book randomly

Quote:
START of recording (Intro):

"Section[number] of Ulysses. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Ulysses, by James Joyce."



For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

"Section[number] of Ulysses by James Joyce. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"



END of recording:

At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Section]"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Ulysses, by James Joyce.


I have rerecorded and re-uploaded the intro and the end of the book and I leveled the audio as you have recommended.

I hope it is OK now.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 1st, 2016, 5:45 am 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
You are PL ok! :thumbs:

With one exception. :oops: Your file name is ulysses_1_joyce_128kb.mp3 and should be ulysses_01_joyce_128kb.mp3.

Once you get past 9 files they will be out of order without the use of the double digit.

Please edit your initial project post to reflect your decision to use Section instead of Chapter. It's the instruction for what we have to PL to.

Thank you and congratulations. You are off and running now!

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 3rd, 2016, 6:35 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
Thank you Linny :)

I have renamed the file and re-uploaded it.

I am done with the 2nd section. I have applied the leveler effect and I have noise cleaned it 3 times following the noise cleaning instructions (there is still some background noise that I couldn't remove, even though my environment was very quite :( ). Does anyone have any tips about that issue ?


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 3rd, 2016, 6:55 am 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
What software are you using? What noise cleaning settings are you using? You record straight to your computer, could it be the computer fan?

It doesn't look as if you cleaned the entire recording. The background noise increases around 13:00.

I use Audacity. I used your ending silence as a noise profile and then used the following settings:
Noise reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6.0
Frequency smoothing: 3
These were the default settings but seem to work well for my recordings.

Those settings worked well for your recording as well. Take a look...
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ulysses_02_joyce_128kb.mp3

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 3rd, 2016, 7:24 am 

Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 7350
Location: Florida, USA
Please edit your initial project post to reflect your decision to use "Section" instead of "Chapter". It's the instruction for what we have to PL to.

PL notes for section 2:
PL ok! :thumbs:

8:05 background noise. It sounds like the rustle of clothing. It doesn't bother me just something I wanted to point out to you for the future.

Still a few mouse clicks but spread out so they were not distracting. Were you able to modify your recording style to make this easier for editing? I hope so! I know my editing takes ages. :shock:

_________________
My DPL list


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 4th, 2016, 2:03 am 

Joined: September 23rd, 2015, 1:38 am
Posts: 73
linny wrote:
What software are you using? What noise cleaning settings are you using? You record straight to your computer, could it be the computer fan?

It doesn't look as if you cleaned the entire recording. The background noise increases around 13:00.

I use Audacity. I used your ending silence as a noise profile and then used the following settings:
Noise reduction: 12
Sensitivity: 6.0
Frequency smoothing: 3
These were the default settings but seem to work well for my recordings.

Those settings worked well for your recording as well. Take a look...
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ulysses_02_joyce_128kb.mp3


I am using Audacity. I record into a USP recorder (logitech Not sure which model).

I think I need to change the noise cleaning settings to the ones you're recommending.

I am using
Noise Reduction: 15
Sensitivity: 0
Frequency Smoothing:160

Thank you for noise cleaning the recording :) and the tips :)


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group