Complete The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border by Gerald Breckenridge - LT

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
hugachris

Post by hugachris » May 11th, 2018, 7:31 pm

The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border by Gerald Breckenridge (1889 - 1964).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-radioboys-on-the-mexican-border-by-gerald-breckenridge/
When Bob and Frank get in touch with their friend Jack in New Mexico via radio telephony, a desperate cry for help sends the Radio Boys on an adventure on the Mexican Border. ( Chris Thompson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14278
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Gerald Breckenridge) : http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/breckenridge_geral
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Boys
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 33
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1922
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: action, radio, telephony

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border, by Gerald Breckenridge. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border by Gerald Breckenridge. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border, by Gerald Breckenridge. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename radioboysonthemexicanborder_##_breckenridge_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. radioboysonthemexicanborder_01_breckenridge_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Gerald Breckenridge
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The RadioBoys on the Mexican Border

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
May those who love us, love us...and for those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts...but if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping! -Scottish prayer

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » May 11th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I can set this up for you.
Help us finish:

Celebrated Women Travellers of the Nineteenth Century 8 sections remaining
Legends and Myths of Hawaii 6 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » May 11th, 2018, 8:40 pm

OK, Chris, it's all set up. I see this is your first solo... always a bit daunting but in next to no time you'll wonder what the fuss was about :D

The first thing is to get access to the MW. I have added you to the list of BCs (which will also make it easier next time).
You will need a separate (and more secure) password for the MW. I will share the instructions we as MCs are given to share.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password” (Note: If you had a password in the old Magic Window system, that old BC login for the Magic Window will not work here!!!)
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form.
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

From <http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window>

I will say this, though, not everyone manages it first time. I'm not sure why. I have been told there is a helpful YouTube video, but that's all I know about that I'm afraid. If you have trouble, you should contact Jo (knotyouraveragejo) who has access to the inner workings of Librivox.

Once you can get in to the MW, you will probably want to set up chapter titles in the title column. Just hit enter when you are done with each one.
When you have files to enter, paste the link from the uploader in the 'listen URL' column. Again, that's a 'hit enter' deal. In the 'notes' column, enter the time. For some reason, you have to 'save' in the notes column. I'm sure there's a good reason, I just don't know it. The column on the far right is a drop-down menu, so just choose 'ready for PL' or 'ready for spot PL'.

To edit the first post, click on the pencil in the top right of the first post. ID tags are optional. If you choose not to use them, that entire section can be deleted.
You might also want to edit the file name to something shorter. It needs to be identifying, but you might think about something along the lines of radioboysmexican. Your choice but once you start, it needs to be consistent.

Any questions, please ask. Have fun with it.
Lynne
Help us finish:

hugachris

Post by hugachris » May 11th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Thanks for the help! I’m pretty excited to do a solo!
May those who love us, love us...and for those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts...but if He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping! -Scottish prayer

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » May 17th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I'd be happy to be DPL on this project.
Tom Penn

hugachris

Post by hugachris » May 17th, 2018, 5:14 pm

Sounds great to me! Thanks!!! :thumbs:

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » May 17th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Tom added as DPL.
Moving to Going Solo.
Help us finish:

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » May 17th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Section 0 is PL OK!
Section 1 is PL OK!

Off to a great start! This is going to be fun. :clap:
Tom Penn

hugachris

Post by hugachris » May 19th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hey guys!! Got hit hard with seasonal allergies, so I can’t record more until I clear up a bit in a few days!!

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » May 19th, 2018, 6:19 pm

hugachris wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 4:30 pm
Hey guys!! Got hit hard with seasonal allergies, so I can’t record more until I clear up a bit in a few days!!
The great thing about a solo is it's on your schedule. We just ask you check in every 2-3 months, even if it's just to say you haven't done anything 8-)
Help us finish:

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » June 4th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Section 2 is PL OK!

There were a few very minor deviations from the text (e.g. "Mr. Hampton" in place of "Hampton"). Nothing to affect the meaning of the text. If you want to know about little deviations like this just let me know.

Very entertaining reading. Thank you!
Tom Penn

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » June 7th, 2018, 11:55 am

Lynne: Perhaps you can enlighten me on something. On my PL VIEW page this project shows up with a status of "open" even though all the sections are assigned. The other solo project for which I am DPL shows up as "Fully subscribed". I would have thought this one would be "fully subscribed" also. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tom Penn

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet » June 7th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Penumbra wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:55 am
Lynne: Perhaps you can enlighten me on something. On my PL VIEW page this project shows up with a status of "open" even though all the sections are assigned. The other solo project for which I am DPL shows up as "Fully subscribed". I would have thought this one would be "fully subscribed" also. Any thoughts?

Thanks
I am similarly confused, as usually the fully subscribed option is the default in a solo, once the soloist's name has been added. Here it wasn't, but I have changed it manually. Like so much else, it is a simple drop-down menu on the project page.

As for your comments about the deviations from the text, would you have known if you were not reading along? If it made sense, it's fine. If a listener would be scratching their head, it should probably be corrected.
Help us finish:

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » June 7th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Lynnet wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 12:01 pm
As for your comments about the deviations from the text, would you have known if you were not reading along? If it made sense, it's fine. If a listener would be scratching their head, it should probably be corrected.
No confusion, just a rather subtle change in the relationship between two characters, which is why I gave the section a PL OK. If this had been a group project I wouldn't have mentioned the deviations. Although I almost always read along, I usually don't mention deviations I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't been reading along.
But some soloists are more persnickety than others, this reader and I don't know each other, so I was looking for some guidance. It probably would have been better if I had explicitly asked.
I'm already in the doghouse with Ava for something similar. I hope I'm not in yours as well.
Tom Penn

hugachris

Post by hugachris » June 10th, 2018, 12:46 pm

I did realize after the fact that I had added the Mr. in there, but I figured, it was such a small change. I suppose I could go in and edit the Mr. out as it does slightly change their relationship. What do you guys think? Would it be better to edit out the Misters?

Chris