~[SOLO] Daemonologie by King James I - icequeen

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » May 28th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Daemonologie by King James I (1566 - 1625).

During a time of great hysteria around witchcraft, King James the First crafted a treatise to educate the public about the dangers of witchcraft. Directly after writing this piece, King James I went on to write the most popular translation of the Bible in the world. In this piece, King James I educates the public on the nature and dangers of witchcraft through a series of dialogues performed by fictional versions of philosophers and theologians whom James dispised. At the end of the Treatise called Daemonologie, there is also attached a short pamphlet about the witch trials which Kings James presided over. This work is a must read. It was clearly an enormous influence on Hamlet's MacBeth as his play draws many quotes from Demonology. It is also a fascinating read because the traditions and crafts of witches and sorcerers are outlined in great detail. A treasure that NEEDS to be produced by LV no matter the challenges. It is also under a fair amount of demand at Project Gutenberg. ( Allie Mandell (Eidyiaa))
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25929
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: 0z1OCaFs

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( King James I) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_I

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemonologie
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1597
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Allie Mandell Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity); Culture & Heritage

Keywords that describe the book: magic, historical, King James I, witch trials, witchcraft, devil, magicians, sorcery, necromancy, bible quotes, early modern english, dialog, treatise, aggripa, dark magic

============================================ [/size]

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Daemonologie. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Daemonologie, by King James I. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Daemonologie by King James I. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Daemonologie by King James I."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename daemonologie_##_kingjamesi_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. daemonologie_01_kingjamesi_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: King James I
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Daemonologie

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Renegade librarian on a mission!

Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » May 28th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I am now ready to launch!!!! I have transcribed the Preface and the first 7 chapters of Daemonologie. I know people were saying this looked like a tough read but it's really not that bad. It's in Early Modern English like Shakespeare so there are a few words that are no longer in use in modern English but I will simply read them as they appear.

Hoping for an MC. I know there's a lot of you awesome folks out there :D

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » May 28th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I can MC this project for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » May 28th, 2018, 9:30 pm

OK, now your MW is up and ready for you, but I need you to do some homework first. Since this is your first time as a soloist, you will need to access the workflow system for the first time. The instructions for doing so are HERE. Let me know when you are in, or if you are having any problems.

As a soloist, you are responsible for your MW. That means you get to enter the section titles and the links from the uploader into the MW. That is also explained in the linked document.

We will wait here for a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! That's what I'm here for !
Ann

adonis

Post by adonis » May 29th, 2018, 9:13 am

So what are your requirments for the designation Proof Listening (Special)? I merely ask. Someone might like to know. Enchanting list of Keywords, by the way. I mean, enchanting. Also, Daemonologie is not yet a Fantasy WarGame or HBO title. Big opportunity here for serious entreprenour. In the meantime,

Yours sincerely,
Tony Addison.

Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » May 29th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Thanks a million icequeen for MCing :))) I'll get the HW ASAP.
adonis wrote:
May 29th, 2018, 9:13 am
So what are your requirments for the designation Proof Listening (Special)? I merely ask. Someone might like to know. Enchanting list of Keywords, by the way. I mean, enchanting. Also, Daemonologie is not yet a Fantasy WarGame or HBO title. Big opportunity here for serious entreprenour. In the meantime,

Yours sincerely,
Tony Addison.
Hello Tony :))) thanks for all the compliments :))) thrilled to see others excited about this too.

So I just wrote specialized simply because the text is written in Early Modern English. This means that ideally, my editor would be able to read the text. Also, i have transcribed all the old spellings into modern spellings so if I simply cannot find someone who can read EME, I can email them the transcripts. For the level of fidelity to the PG text that LV requires tho, it would be ideal to have a DPL who can read EME.

Other thoughts: is it possible to have more than one DPL?

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » May 29th, 2018, 4:14 pm

You could have more than one DPL, but only one will get the credit on the catalog page.
Ann

adonis

Post by adonis » May 30th, 2018, 6:12 am

Nice set of readings that you're doing, Elinor Glyn to Herodotus. I meant to keep an eye out on the profile I was drawing of myself through my readings, but I kind of forgot. I do Dorothy Parker and the Bible though. So.

I didn't mean to say this, but I could DPL this for you. I've been languid with the loss of two Kindles over the last few days (yes, two) - I know with some it's cats or the known physical universe and all it contains but I don't like my present cat and I haven't a suitcase big enough for the other. So.

So. I can download the Elizabethan text to my yet other Kindle (backup). Gutenberg is a delight for this. Archive.org not so much. I can read the text against your verbal - some say this is the best kind of reading. Ideally, you don't make many mistakes (this is how I got to keep my Dedicated Proof Listener). If you do, I coorect you on them and tell you where on the timeline of your audio you can find them. But you must have been through all this in your prior readings.

So, if you want me, here I am. Must get back to Canterbury Tales, come to think.

Good luck with all endeavours.
Tony A.

Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » May 30th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Wow Tony!!!! Thanks a million!!! Couldn't think of a better DPL :))) I have OCD which comes in handy for editing. For Wanderings of Elizabeth segment which was 30 mins long, the only edit required was to bring up the volume and cut down on the silences. I had the between paragraph silences as 3s which is the maximum the guide recommends. So cut down to 2.5s. Im just a fan of pauses bc the stufd I have been reading is verrrrry dense. Gives the reader a chance to digest imo. But happy to keep pauses between paragraphs to 2 seconds. Super excited!!!

Also.thrilled that you (Tony) can read EME well.enough to not need it transcribed.

I would realllly like to pronounce the old words like "ingine" correctly. I did a lot of research into EME pronunciations but the rules are just too complex to know how each word would be put together. I go to Boston University so I may ask the Medival Lit expert a few of them. In the mean time, I'm not gonna agonize over it and just do my best.

I splurged and bought the 2016 modern translation just as a reference guide. It was helpful to parse thr meaning of some of the sentences that had strange confusing phrasing. Also a LOT of background essays!

Like all the characters in the dialogs are based on Theologians and philosophers James I hated. Talk about passive agressive. Hahahha!

adonis

Post by adonis » May 30th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Taking some points -

There can't be a hard and fast rule on pronunciation. But knowing the background meaning helps (like, ingine, sounds like ingenuity). In other cases, I suggest eg that difficiler might have an s sound like difficile - but that isn't correct, it's what it seems to me. So you might have another idea. Keep to what's natural to you.

Pauses - in Special you can make other choices, but part of my work as DPL would be reflecting back how that sounds to me. For example, after reading Kipling's They I was so moved I left seven seconds silence. WRONG. Actually, I think, right. But there you are. And as a matter of choice, I deliberately left a long pause after these words of Petruchio to Kate in The Taming of the Shrew - So Kiss me Kate -------- We WILL be married o Sunday (Exit). This gives Kate a long time in which not to kiss him. But that was shortened up according to received wisdom. So, OK. It is important to keep the flow of listening going, of course.

Good idea to have a background translation. I use one for my Medieval Canterbury Tales. But it's only for reference when I'm totally stuck. Better I should have the sense in my own mind wherever I get it from. Listeners hear the confidence in the voice, even when they're not getting every word (which they never do anyway).

So, happy to DPL if you've selected me for that role (which it sounds like you have). Awaiting first installment.

Tony

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » May 31st, 2018, 9:50 am

You now have access to the MW, Tony. Thank you!

My thoughts on pauses...I think it depends on the pause and what you are trying to convey in that pause. If it is for dramatic affect, to let the reader's suspenseful feelings to build just that much more, then the pause should be there. If you are trying to give the reader a chance to process feelings because something hugely dramatic and story altering just happened, then a pause is appropriate. If the pause is there in the middle of the sentence, and there are no commas to indicate a pause, that pause inappropriate. In group projects there is less leeway because the project is someone else's vision, but a solo project is YOUR vision. If you feel that a pause should be where you place it, for whatever reason, then it should be there. If your DPL calls the pause out, simply state why you put the pause where you put it. Your DPL is here just to make sure that the flow of the reading flows, and the words that you use are appropriate, i.e. you don't change the word accidentally into something that doesn't make sense. Anything else that is needed should be agreed upon between the soloist and the DPL. I think with a project like this, where you are reading a work that is using an older form of English and it is of a massive scholarly and historical importance, a slower pace would be appropriate, which would include...........pauses. (That's my 2 cents coming from years of being a serial soloist!)
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » June 1st, 2018, 11:06 am

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » June 1st, 2018, 6:40 pm

Horrrayy!!!! Have not forgotten my homework. Just in the middle of moving. Did a pretty good take of book 1, chapter one today. Only problem is that the hum of my computer fan is realllly loud :((( hoping it wont be too obvious after I edit the audio and do noise reduction. Is it ok to do the preface later? Ive done a few takes and they are good. But I want it to be Great. I want to do some more chapters to warm me up first.

Eidyiaa

Post by Eidyiaa » June 2nd, 2018, 5:26 pm

Ok, Ann, I appear to be in the system now and can click on the BC link under the MW :D

Also, thanks so much for all the advice about pauses. It's clear you put a lot of time and effort into your response and I greatly appreciate it. I personally feel pauses are as important as the words in between them. I think Shakespeare felt the same ;)

Also, Tony, I have been listening to your Northhanger Abbey and you are amazing! I feel so lucky to have such an awesome reader as a DPL and mentor :D

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » June 2nd, 2018, 9:27 pm

Eidyiaa wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 6:40 pm
Horrrayy!!!! Have not forgotten my homework. Just in the middle of moving. Did a pretty good take of book 1, chapter one today. Only problem is that the hum of my computer fan is realllly loud :((( hoping it wont be too obvious after I edit the audio and do noise reduction. Is it ok to do the preface later? Ive done a few takes and they are good. But I want it to be Great. I want to do some more chapters to warm me up first.

You can do the preface later if you need to. For the computer fan hum, try using canned air to spray out the dust and lint. My computer gets very noisy during the summer, when it is warmer, but if I can get the crud out of the fan it doesn't make so much noise. Spray the intake and the exhaust.

Yeah, you're in the workflow system, great! Now you get to put the section titles in, then paste your links in from the uploader!
Ann