COMPLETE Atlantis by Gerhart Hauptmann - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Atlantis by Gerhart Hauptmann (1862 - 1946). Translated by Adele Szold Seltzer (1876 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/atlantis-by-gerhart-hauptmann/
Frederick von Kammacher is a young doctor in Germany whose wife has gone insane, whose children are in a boarding school, and whose career has been destroyed by some faulty research he has done. He becomes infatuated with a teenage dancer, and on a whim he boards the the same steamship the dancer is on bound for New York. Hauptmann was heralded as a seer for his description of what happens to their steamship mid-ocean, and what in reality happened to the Titanic only months later. (Summary by Margaret)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924026234561
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: tragedy, ocean liner

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Atlantis. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Atlantis, by Gerhart Hauptmann. Translated by Adele Szold Seltzer (1876 - 1940) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Atlantis by Gerhart Hauptmann. Translated by Adele Szold Seltzer (1876 - 1940) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Atlantis, by Gerhart Hauptmann. Translated by Adele Szold Seltzer (1876 - 1940)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename atlantis_##_hauptmann_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. atlantis_01_hauptmann_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Gerhart Hauptmann
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Atlantis

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: KiltedDragon
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Margaret on October 25th, 2017, 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

MW set up; now to just lure in a DPL. :D
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Hi Margaret,

I would enjoy being DPL for this project if someone hasn't beaten me to it.

You could use this link's pdf scan as a back up text, just in case:

https://archive.org/details/cu31924026234561

It is public domain with no restrictions, and for example, the gutenberg link in the first chapter reads: "It's no u left the sanatorium in the Harz..."

While the pdf reads: "It's no use. I left the sanatorium..."

Best,
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Thank you for that link Tony! I saw that messed up line in the Gutenberg text and wondered how many other errors there might be. And thank you for offering to DPL, it's all yours.
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Good heads up, Tony.

Margaret, if you want to use the Archive text, we should change the link in the first post.
Barry
My Recordings
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Still with us, Margaret?
Barry
My Recordings
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You're some kind of psychic Barry. Or I am. I woke up this morning thinking I need to break this hiatus and get busy, and now I see your message. Thank you!!
~ Gore Vidal ~
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

~ Gore Vidal ~
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Well, here we all are! And a nice start too!

Ahiii! I can already see by this first chapter that life is not a bowful of cherries. But I am stiff upper lip and ready to take on whatever this book has to throw at us.

Well read, and everything's good. Your volume is a bit high at 93.2 dB. What do you want to do about that? Are you going to record around that range, and do you want me to keep you aware of those levels so that you can keep them close to the same amount, or do you want to get down closer to the librivox 89?

I'm marking section 01 PL OK! I'm already interested and looking forward to the next installment.

Best to you!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

True confessions here Tony, I am very ignorant about all the technical stuff and I'm lucky I maneuver as well as I do around Audacity. I usually run the compressor thingy on my files because I watched a video that said to do so, but I forgot this time. ANYHOW I did the compressor bit and re-uploaded it - did that do the trick? And if not, if you know how I can lower the volume let me know! Thank you Tony. :mrgreen:
~ Gore Vidal ~
tony123

Post by tony123 »

The compression did lower your volume. It is now at 91.5 dBs. When you are doing a solo, I don't think it is as important that you meet the librivox standard of around 89 dB because the most important thing is that you have all your recordings within a similar range of maybe 1 or 2 decibels so that a listener won't be having to adjust their own volume up and down to listen to you comfortably. If you want to try downloading the Checker app, which tells you what your volume is along with other things, you can click on the link in my signature and read up on how to do that.

Lowering volume is one of the easiest manipulations you can do, Margaret, because there isn't any danger of making your loud parts too loud and causing distortion; clipping in the sound. Whatever recording software you use, you will probably only have to enter a negative number in whatever window you have for amplification.

If you use Audacity software, you click Effect, then Amplify. In the Amplification window at the top, you'll see a number that tells you how much you could amplify your recording by without causing clipping. If you're amplifying your recording, you want to make sure the little box at the bottom of the window that says, "allow clipping," is unchecked.

In lowering the volume you enter a negative number in the Amplification window. This recording that you used compression on has a volume now of 91.5 decibels. If you wanted to lower it to 89.5 dB, you would enter minus (-3) in the Amplification box. You'd listen to the beginning part of your recording by clicking the Preview button, and if you thought it wasn't too soft, you'd go ahead and click OK.

You've been making good recordings for quite a while, so I think what you're doing will continue working well. :D

If there is any advice that I can give you to make things easier for you, though, don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best.

Incidentally, you were PL OK! and now you're even more PL OK! 8-)
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Thank you Tony, you make me smile. Your explanation was very clear, and I think you're right, I'll just leave them as they are as compressed. AND I JUST FIGURED OUT THAT you're Tony Oliva! (Not just any garden variety Tony, ha ha) I LOVE your voice! I've listened to your George Gibbs recordings and I really enjoyed them.

Here's #2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/atlantis_02_hauptmann_128kb.mp3
Duration - 20:35
~ Gore Vidal ~
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will also mention here that when I catalog the project, I can, with one click of the mouse, make all the files pretty near the same volume of around 89.5
Barry
My Recordings
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Section 02 -- PL OK!

Thank you Margaret. :D

Okay, I'm getting into this story now. And that pining away young love stuff... Yep, I can get into that. I haven't forgotten. And it doesn't happen just once, oh no! Definitely not a once in a lifetime opportunity.

So, Barry can take care of the volume problem.

There, you see? The Fates are against us. We're trying to have problems, and Barry simply steps in and, with a wave of his wand turns them into daisies. What can a pessimist do under such conditions?!

Thanks Barry.
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will be on vacation to Alaska from July 15 - July 28. If something comes up that you need help with during that time, please contact your friendly neighborhood spiderman, er, MC.
Barry
My Recordings