LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 9:24 pm

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted:: April 28th, 2017, 8:25 am 

THE BOY SCOUTS BOOK OF CAMPFIRE STORIES by Various.

Quote:
The Editor likes to think that quite a few of the stories found in the Boy Scouts Book of Campfire[vi] Stories present companions for the mind of this hardy sort, and hopes, whether boys read or are told these stories, they will prove to be such as exalt and inspire while they thrill and entertain. ( )

1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26475

2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Note to PLers: Irving Bacheller died in 1950. Rex Beach died in 1949. These authors work are still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years). <p>

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of THE BOY SCOUTS BOOK OF CAMPFIRE STORIES. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "THE BOY SCOUTS BOOK OF CAMPFIRE STORIES. Chapter [number, title] by [author, include translator if applicable.]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of THE BOY SCOUTS BOOK OF CAMPFIRE STORIES. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title by author, include translaltor if applicable.]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:

• At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of THE BOY SCOUTS BOOK OF CAMPFIRE STORIES."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

4. Example filename campfirestories_##_butler_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. campfirestories_01_butler_128kb.mp3)

5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below

Post Posted:: April 28th, 2017, 2:57 pm 

Let me know if you would like me to solo this for you. I've been enjoying my recording quite a bit lately. Thanks.

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"

Post Posted:: April 28th, 2017, 2:59 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

When people post a solo in the Launch Pad, they mean to do it themselves. :)

Fiction about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late

Post Posted:: April 28th, 2017, 3:34 pm 

Mmm, ok. That's not quite how my last solo happened. Let me know if you would like me to read in the futre.

d

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"

Post Posted:: April 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Ah! That was a case where someone had started up a group project, and then changed it into a solo for you when you wanted to read most/all of it. :)

99% of the time, the reader chooses what they want to record - through ideas of their own, or looking through the Book Suggestions forum for ideas - and sets up their solo. Your first solo was a kind of back-door method. ;)

I hope this helps explain!

Fiction about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late

Post Posted:: April 30th, 2017, 5:03 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Monty,

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your magic window set up and then be back with some further instructions!

MaryAnn

Post Posted:: April 30th, 2017, 5:29 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Monty,

Great job setting up your first solo!

Couple of notes:

1. I changed the author to "various". That's how we would typically handle a book with this many contributors (and that's how Project Gutenberg has listed it). Still, great work checking the various contributors because that allows us to flag the two who might not be public domain for all of our volunteers. This will be good information for prospective proof listeners to have.

2. In changing the author, I then changed the intro language. Our template assumes a book, title, translator format, and so we often need to adjust the intro if a book has multiple authors. In this case, I think it makes most sense to a listener if you read the author of each story when you read the story title.

3. I've shortened the file name. Again, the template gives us what it gives us, and sometimes that's quite long. So we shorten whenever that makes sense.

4. For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you'll need to get into the Magic Window (MW). You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

It's a good idea to read the full set of BC instructions. Some of that won't apply to you this time around (because this is a solo, rather than a group project), but there is some useful info in there for soloists as well.

5. You will next need to fill out the MW. Given that each story has a different author, I suggest that you put the author name in the section title. I've done the first one to give you an idea.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

Post Posted:: April 30th, 2017, 6:10 am 

OK thanks for direction and support. I will work through this in coming days.

Go Cubs!

Monty

Post Posted:: April 30th, 2017, 7:47 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

OK, we'll move over to going solo.

Someone may come along and volunteer to DPL - that's why we have the ~ in the thread title. If not, we can advertise once you get a section up.

MaryAnn

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 4:14 am 

The book Introduction is in Section 1. As a result, each section number will be the book chapter number +1 (i.e. chapter 1 will be section 2)

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 4:15 am 

uploaded section 5 The Ole Virginia by Stewart Edward White

Length: 13:41

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/campfirestories_5_white_128kb.mp3

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 6:15 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

montys,

I can renumber the MW so the intro is section 0. Would you like me to that?

MaryAnn

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 7:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 7:14 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks Dave. You now have MW access.
MaryAnn

Post Posted:: July 12th, 2017, 3:08 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Volume is a tad low (83.7dB) and should be amplified by ~5dB. Files should average 89dB (and keep within the 86-92dB range).
End of file is missing outro (see below)

END of recording:
At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Chapter]"
If you wish, say: