COMPLETE Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope - Maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope (1815 - 1882).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/barchester-towers-2-by-anthony-trollope/

Barchester Towers, published in 1857, is the 2nd novel in Anthony Trollope's series known as the "Chronicles of Barsetshire". It follows on from The Warden, set some years later, with some of the same characters. Among other things it satirises the then raging antipathy in the Church of England between High Church and Evangelical adherents. Trollope began writing this book in 1855. He wrote constantly, and made himself a writing-desk so he could continue writing while travelling by train. "Pray know that when a man begins writing a book he never gives over," he wrote in a letter during this period. "The evil with which he is beset is as inveterate as drinking – as exciting as gambling." And, years later in his autobiography, he observed "In the writing of Barchester Towers I took great delight. The bishop and Mrs. Proudie were very real to me, as were also the troubles of the archdeacon and the loves of Mr. Slope." But when he submitted his finished work, his publisher, William Longman, initially turned it down, finding much of it to be full of "vulgarity and exaggeration".[1] More recent critics offer a more sanguine opinion. "Barchester Towers is many readers' favourite Trollope", wrote The Guardian, which included it in its list of "1000 novels everyone must read".[2]Barchester Towers concerns the leading clergy of the cathedral city of Barchester. The much loved bishop having died, all expectations are that his son, Archdeacon Grantly, will succeed him. Instead, owing to the passage of the power of patronage to a new Prime Minister, a newcomer, the far more Evangelical Bishop Proudie, gains the see. His wife, Mrs Proudie, exercises an undue influence over the new bishop, making herself as well as the bishop unpopular with most of the clergy of the diocese. Her interference to veto the reappointment of the universally popular Mr Septimus Harding (protagonist of Trollope's earlier novel, The Warden) as warden of Hiram's Hospital is not well received, even though she gives the position to a needy clergyman, Mr Quiverful, with 14 children to support. Now listen on... ( Wikipedia)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/stream/barch10/barch10.txt
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Barchester Towers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Barchester Towers, by Anthony Trollope. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename barchestertowers_##_trollope_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. barchestertowers_01_trollope_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Nick. I am happy to MC this. I'll get it set up when I get home tonight.

Arlene as the DPL, right?

The story continues!

MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Thanks very much.

Yes, Arlene has agreed to PL.

Nick
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, we'll wait for her to check in and then move to going solo.
MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Maryann,

I think the keywords could be :oxford movement, barchester chronicles, satire, nineteenth century novel, nineteenth century anglicanism

Regards

Nick
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Nick.
M.A.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Checking in! I'm delighted that Nick wants me to continue to PL.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

That's great.

I am having a few problems with accessing the internet at the moment - I have borrowed my wife's computer to access my e-mails tonight, but it is not that convenient, so I may miss notifications. I think it is a router problem, with the WiFi disabled but cable connection working, but I am not very technologically minded. I will just carry on editing and recording off-line, without uploading, until I can get the problem sorted.

With best wishes

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

You've probably already done this already, but just in case....

Turn it off and back on. If it has a battery, you'll need to pull the battery so that it gets a complete power recycle.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't tried that. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have done anything.

:cry: :cry:
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

But miracle of miracles, having left it alone after turning it off and then on, it has now come back :clap:
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

We are underway!

Chapter I hads been uploaded.

I hope you enjoy it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_01_trollope_128kb.mp3

24:31
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

A wonderful rainy-day treat! Chapter 1 is PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter II.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_02_trollope_128kb.mp3

19:20.5

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 2 is PL OK.

I did have a good weekend. We had a "Deck the Halls" celebration at my parents' house and enjoyed all the family traditions.

Hope yours was good as well.
Arlene