[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 8 uploaded. It starts at PDF 68, text 54, "Now is there any standard ..." and ends at the end of the chapter.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
Thank you for the text reference. That is most helpful! Great job, I'm always especially impressed by your work on the readers notes.

4:53 Many attempts were made to prove the axiom; no one doubted of its truth, but no means could be found to demonstrate it.
Read as proof

9:54 (within the readers note) - The left and right extremes of the equatorial line are labeled D and C, respectively.
read as G
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for catching those, linny. Corrected and uploaded.
Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL ok. Great voice match. :thumbs:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 9 uploaded.

1 - Figure 35, on text page 64 / PDF page 78 isn't actually referred to in the text until two pages later.
2 - Figure 36 has a point G on it which, as far as I can tell, isn't mentioned in the text.

The next section starts at "Let us apply this method ..." at the start of the bottom paragraph on text page 67 / PDF page 81.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Great job, Peter!

2:47 p62 - That eternal corrector of our aspirations and ideals, the material universe draws sublimely away from the simplest things we can touch or handle to the infinite depths of starry space, in one and all uninfluenced by what we think or feel, presenting unmoved fact to which, think it good or think it evil....
Read as material

9:21 p65 readers note -
2 - Figure 36 has a point G on it which, as far as I can tell, isn't mentioned in the text.
. Understood. G is only listed to indicate the right surface of the cube; CGHD.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny,
I've corrected and re-uploaded section 9.

I was glancing ahead to check for suitable places for section boundaries: it looks as if the ones we've done are the easy ones!

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

2:47 p62 - That eternal corrector of our aspirations and ideals, the material universe draws sublimely away from the simplest things we can touch or handle to the infinite depths of starry space, in one and all uninfluenced by what we think or feel, presenting unmoved fact to which, think it good or think it evil....
Read as and

A few days ago I looked ahead and I was afraid to comment. I believe there is one chapter where there are only 2 figures. Some of the remaining figures get extremely intricate. :shock:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

My apologies; I recited the phrase from too-fallible memory after reading it on-screen. It should be correct now.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK!

I almost didn't tell you about this correction. I felt awful but you did say word perfect.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

No, that's fine, linny. I'm happy to correct them ... and to make tone and emphasis changes if you think that would make what he's saying any clearer.

I've been recording section 10 but my voice is starting to go. I think it's the early symptom of a sore throat, as I'm starting to get catarrh, too. I'm fairly healthy, so it shouldn't take more than three or four days to clear. I should be uploading in the week after Christmas.

Have a lovely holiday, and thank you very much for your help.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

I hope you feel better soon and enjoy your holiday festivities.

No worries on the project pace. This is a tough project. It's going to take time but I have no doubt that section by section you'll get there and I'll be here for the duration. :)
linny

Post by linny »

Peter Why wrote:Thanks; I'm reading a maths book at the moment where that would be very helpful. I'll have a go at an illustration file.

Peter
That is a GREAT idea! :clap:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny and Availle ...

I'm preparing the illustrations file now.

It's certainly going to save a lot of work. Do you think I should drop the reader's note descriptions only from now on, with a note in the summary about the change, or should I go back and clean them out of the earlier chapters as well?

I wish I'd thought of it before ... but the illustrations are truly getting too complex to describe.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

I will agree with whatever Ava thinks is best.

I believe you hit on the key; they are getting too difficult. You did a great job on the earlier ones. Omitting from this point is probably the easiest and best course of action.

Are you going to leave a readers notes along the lines of "diagram included on p # of illustration pdf"? If so, you may want to go back and include that on the earlier readers notes.
Last edited by linny on January 2nd, 2017, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.