[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Peter,
I only follow the scanned book. That way if the text version is wrong, I’ll pick that up as well.
Section 19 is spot check PL OK.

Section 20
p148 - 3:30 This lasting pink line in your apprehension of a surface, which extends in two dimensions just like the orange surface extends, as you know it, when the cube is at rest.
I hear is

p155 ~16:00 Figure 95 is not mentioned in the text. Should a readers note be added at some point of this page?

At 4.37, on page 148/162, fourth line from the bottom, "... lasts when a motion of that kind takes place ..." I've no idea what he means here. There may be a typo, perhaps of "lasts".
Maybe, but I’m not able to guess at what the correct substitute is, so best to leave it.
At 6.29, on page 149/163, tenth line from the bottom, ".... and ends in a yellow line, and thus two-dimensional solid ..." This should read ".. and this two-dimensional solid ...". That's how I've read it.
Concur
At 8.21, on page 150/164, the last line before the capitalized heading, "In his world he would see the contour, get to any part of it by digging down into it." I've no idea what he means here.
I’m too tangible. I would have to touch the cube and have it explained to me. Possibly, even separate the cube so I could see and then honestly, I fear there is still limited hope of my grasping this.
At 14.30, on page 154/168, at the start of the first full paragraph after Figure 94. "The same series of changes take place ...". The word "series" is singular, so that should be "takes" instead of "take". That's how I've read it.
Sounds good.

“Any line, or plane of this, to him higher, solid we could show to him, and put in his sensible world.” Lol, nope, not mine. I like my sensible world just the way it is.

I’m so glad this man doesn’t come off as condescending. He really seems to want me to understand but I definitely use far less of the necessary parts of my brain.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for catching them, linny.
Section 20 has been edited and re-uploaded. I've added the reader's note about figure 95 at 16.23.

"... this lasting pink line is ..." This is due to another typo in the text; it definitely should be "is". I apologise for forgetting to add it to my list.

I agree that he's trying to get across something that seems clear to him. I was being a bit facetious. I remember that "obvious to the meanest intelligence" phrase from a humorous novel that I read (and can't remember which).

I think he means "sensible" as "relating to the senses", rather than reasonable!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK.

So, did you get moved?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for the spot check, linny.

I was expecting to exchange contracts this week and perhaps move next week, but there's what I hope is a minor holdup over some bills that should have been paid by the previous owner. I'm waiting on some word from their solicitors.

We'll see ....

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Out of curiosity, I did a search for that "meanest intelligence" phrase ... and, to my surprise, found it! A cartoon from Punch from 1956. I think I must have seen it when I was working my way through the bound volumes when I was at school. Obviously it made a big impression on me.

Here it is: http://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I00002OJfD2DVUsk

I should be picking up the keys to my new flat tomorrow!

I'm recording the next section now.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

I LOVE that! Thank you!

Congratulations on the new flat. I'm so happy for you that it all finally got settled. :9:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 21 uploaded. Chapter 12 from start to end. PDF 171-191 / text 157-177. EDIT: The largest section so far. With the scattered very large diagrams, it was too hard to work out a suitable breakpoint.

Quite a few "typos", though I don't think we can blame the printers for most of them. I think it's Mr Hinton's grammar that was at fault much of the time.

17.08 page 167/181, 2nd and 3rd line from the top: "... the number of the different regions show a different tendency of increase." Corrected to "... the number .... shows ... "

21.30 page 168/182, 6th and 7th lines from the bottom: "The three ways in which this region of tesseracts extends is up and down, right and left, fourth dimension." Corrected to "The three ways .... are up and down ..."

23.54 page 169/183, 7th line from bottom: "... four-dimensional solid, which is this case is light brown ..." Corrected to "... which in this case ..."

24.26 page 170/184. Starting on line 2: "Thus in the plane being's diagram ...". I think there's probably a word missing here (possibly "of" after "diagram"), but I can't be sure. I've added a pointer to the diagram of 27 cubes in figure 101 on page 165/179.

27.14 page 171/185. Starting on line 7: "The light yellow face ... give the two square boundaries ..." Corrected to "gives"

Now the messy business begins of packing, moving, unpacking and telling people about the address change.

I have a couple of bottles of vintage champagne to share with the friends that I'll be moving closer to, when I feel comfortable.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

4:20 missing word – He would say the square A, in Figure 96, is completely enclosed by the four squares, A far, A near, A above, A below, or as they are written An, Af, Aa, Ab.

9:38 Given then the null, white, red, yellow cubes, and those which make up the block, we notice that we represent perfectly well the extension in three directions (fig. 98).
I hear dimensional

11:54 You say “End reader’s note” but I believe the “end footnote” is sufficient and this could be deleted.

14:37 missing word - Their naturalness is apparent to any one in the habit of using colours, and may be assumed to be justifiable, as the sole purpose is to devise a set of names which are easy to remember, and which will give us a set of colours by which diagrams may be made easy of comprehension.

16:40 you did not include the footnote for figure 102. Was this intentional?
*The coloured plate, figs. 1,2,3, shows these relations more conspicuously.

23:21 The two-coloured tesseracts become two-dimensional boundaries, thin in two dimensions, e.g., the pink, the green, the purple, the orange, the light blue, the light yellow.
I hear the light, the green
Since it’s right here, I’ll also comment on the e.g. Similar as to how you read fig. as figure, would it be appropriate to read e.g., as for example?

Good luck on the move and I hope you can quickly get settled in and enjoy that champagne!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for those, linny.

I've changed the time locations where it's needed:

4:18 enclosed by the four squares - DONE - added "the" - reread the whole phrase

9:36 perfectly well the extension in three directions (fig. 98) - DONE - edited "dimensions" to "directions" - reread the whole phrase

11:53 “End reader’s note” deleted. DONE I had read it twice

14:34 "which will give us a set of colours - DONE: added "will" - reread the whole phrase

17:13 footnote for figure 102. The coloured plate, figs. 1,2,3, shows these relations more conspicuously. - DONE Added footnote at the end of the paragraph describing the figure.

23:19 thin in two dimensions, e.g., the pink, the green, the purple, the orange, the light blue, the light yellow. - DONE "light" corrected to "green" - reread the whole phrase. I've also changed the "e.g." as you suggest.

The champagne's probably more than a week away. Next section of Hinton will be a couple of weeks away, as the computer will be getting packed shortly.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK.

Be safe during your move!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

New home settling at last; things are moving from the boxes on the floor onto shelves and into cupboards.

Section 22 uploaded.

This book reminds my why I've never read James Joyce's Ulysses ... a cascade of words flowing through my head, untouched by my understanding mind.

Oddly, though, I'm sort of enjoying it.
Soon be done.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Wonderful news about the progress of your new home! I hope you will be happy there for a long time.

I agree with you that I am enjoying this book much more than Ulysses. This provides a glimpse into a body of knowledge I wouldn't have otherwise attempted.

I have to admit I actually laughed on page 181 “...not to complicate matters...”.

PL notes for section 22
16:06 We suppose these cubes arranged in a line coming towards us-not that that is any more natural than any other arbitrary series of positions, but it agrees with the plan previously adopted.
I hear there

19:10 Its front face is formed by the white line moving along the blue axis, and is therefore light blue, the left-hand side is formed by the yellow lines moving along the blue axis, and therefore green.
I hear and is therefore

20:50 Please take a listen. It sounds as if you may have coughed and not edited all of it out.

26:22 missing text – Now these two cubes moving together remain in contact during the period in which they trace out the tesseracts red and light blue.

(section 23 begins p190, We have seen that the pink face moved in a yellow direction traces out a cube;…)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny;

Section 22 re-recorded. I've adjusted the times since the edit.

16.00 Text page 185, half way down first para. "Not that that is any more natural ..."
19.08.5 Text page 186, bottom line. Re-recorded phrase "... and therefore green"
20.49.5 Cough deleted
26.15 Text page 190, 3rd para from bottom. "Now these two cubes ..." Re-recorded the whole sentence.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you, linny.

Section 23 has been uploaded. PDF 204/text 190 From "We have seen that the pink face ..." to end of chapter.

I've corrected a typo at 1.41 in the recording (page 205/191), where Fig 114 is wrongly referred to in the text as Fig 115, in "Thus, drawing our initial cube and the successive sections, calling them b0, b1, b2, b3, b4, fig. 115, ..."

At a few places in the text, the author has abbreviated a colour to a single letter; I've expanded this to the full colour name where it makes things clearer.

With regard to pages 202 and 203 (the latter being the first page of the next chapter), my PDF is very blurry, so I've used the HTML version on archive.org.

Peter