[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've been cutting and pasting the illustrations into a separate file. It's illustrations.odt, but I can easily convert to a microsoft document instead. I've put the first three pages on mediafire, if you'd like to have a look:

https://www.mediafire.com/?8hr8463jt3dzdna

I agree that leaving the original notes as they stand would probably be okay. I'll listen again to some of the affected pages to see if I need to add pointers to the illustrations.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 10 uploaded. At least you won't have to work your way through my descriptions any more! ... though occasionally the author describes the contents of an illustration without specifically naming it in the text (I've caught one example in this section, and added a reader's note naming the illustration). Could you tell me if I miss any, please, linny?

And, Availle, I'll be changing the summary to describe the use of a file of illustrations (I'll tell you when I do) ... but I may need help in putting it onto archive.org.

EDIT: With regard to adding pointers to illustrations file within the earlier recordings, I was thinking of handling this another way, with an index at the front end of the illustrations file.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Peter,
I like the list of illustrations idea.

11:07 top of p73 (pdf) But in all these directions of revolution there would be in reality one line which remained unaltered,
Read as rotation

12:02 But, both on the one side and the other of the space we are familiar with, spaces either with less or more than three dimensions are merely arbitrary conceptions.
Read as with either

Ending silence is a little long.

"convolutions of the brain" oh, yeah, I'm there. :oops:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Linny, I'm sorry about the delay; I was looking at new homes. All sorted now .. except that I'm going to be moving in a couple of months!

Section 10 corrected (including final silence) and uploaded.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK!

That's wonderful news, Peter. A lot of work but I know you have been struggling a bit with your current recording environment. Hopefully, you will be much happier...after you get unpacked.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny; moving's a couple of months away, I think.

Here's section 11. The more I read of this book, the more stupid I feel. I realise that my mind just can't handle thinking at the level of the author. Just as well that I've settled on hobbies that don't need deep logical thought, just a bit of effort, a reasonably flexible set of vocal cords, and for a couple of them, reasonably careful fingers.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

I'm so glad shared that that. I was just thinking that I'm glad I enjoy your voice because I have no idea what you are saying. It reminds me of a parent holding an infant and reading the sports column. As long as it's done in a comforting tone the infant is happy. :oops:

4:10 missing text - …and makes rings of ripples, or as when a mass of soft material rotates about an axis. It can be argued…

10:37 But when the x axis is let drop, and the w axis comes in
Read as space

14:24 If such a rotation were started at one part of a circular boundary
Read as region
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny,

I can usually make it sound as if I understand what he is saying, but I hardly ever do understand.

Thanks for the corrections. I've re-uploaded section 11. The second and third corrections are now at 10.41 and 14.27 respectively.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on March 8th, 2017, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny; here's section 12 (EDIT .. I had originally put "14", as I'm at section 14 in the other solo I'm doing.)

Hinton really loves his maths; where Charles Dodgson describes the maths of syllogism with lots of examples, Hinton just relies on algebraic notation and the introduction of new and strange concepts. Here come the "poiograph" and "moods"!

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on March 8th, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Well, I don’t know about you but after that, I’m in the mood for a drink. :wink:

1:05 And so, besides showing us the actual existence of that world which lies beneath the one of visible movements,
I don’t hear the b sound.

1:14 and throw what would otherwise be obscure into a definite and suggestive form.
Read as could

11:01 the letters s and p being chosen with reference to the parts the notions they designate play in the conclusion.
Read as lesson

12:39 we only know some M’s are P.
Read as we can only

[section 13 begins p92 Before we started…]
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny, I'll get those sorted shortly. He's certainly not getting any less opaque. I suppose syllogistic "moods" are no worse than quarkic "charm", but a drink is definitely called for.

EDIT: done. The corrected errors are at 0.57, 1.13, 11.00, and 12.36 now.

I'm sorry I'm forgetting to note section boundaries in this thread. I do plan ahead, though; here are the boundaries for the rest of chapter 8:

13 Ch 8 - 2 106-112 92-98 (From second complete paragraph "Before we start with the regions to the right ..."
to the end of the fourth complete paragraph: "These cubes are shown below.")
14 Ch 8 - 3 112-120 98-106 (From the last paragraph "For the sake of showing the properties ..." to the
end of chapter eight.)

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on February 18th, 2017, 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
I don't hear the first correction. I'm ok if you are though since I count it more as a pronunciation error than anything.

Thanks for the section breaks but don't worry if you forget. It's not a problem at all to note them.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny; I'll leave that sub-optimal "b" as it is, then.

Next section should be up tomorrow.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 13 uploaded.

linny,

I've changed the position of the boundary between 13 and 14 that I gave earlier, as I found a more natural break when I was reading.

Peter