COMPLETE My Friend Annabel Lee by Mary MacLane -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

My Friend Annabel Lee by Mary MacLane (1881 - 1929).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/my-friend-annabel-lee-by-mary-maclane/
Published in 1903, this selection of dialogues by Mary MacLane entails a mystery of wondering who she is speaking with. Is it the statue she describes at first? Is it an imaginary friend? Is it the author’s alter-ego? Or perhaps, is it a friend she knows in-the-flesh whom the author wished no one to recognize the identity of? These questions are never truly answered for how could a statue send word by postal mail or know some of the deeper vulnerabilities of the author without her knowing them herself? In these talks between herself and Annabel Lee come glimmerings of another time, discussions in the whimsy of personal stories, happenings in the neighbourhood, and the reflections in the deeper meaning of life as well as the bonds of friendship. (Summary by Daryl Wor )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43624
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of My Friend Annabel Lee. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "My Friend Annabel Lee, by Mary MacLane. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of My Friend Annabel Lee by Mary MacLane. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of My Friend Annabel Lee, by Mary MacLane. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename myfriendannabellee_##_maclane_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. myfriendannabellee_01_maclane_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Mary MacLane
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: My Friend Annabel Lee

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Morlock on February 8th, 2019, 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'm not sure if someone has already responded via PM, but you can find step by step instructions to start a solo project here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome "back," Daryl!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:I'm not sure if someone has already responded via PM, but you can find step by step instructions to start a solo project here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

MaryAnn
Bless your heart! I'm so ready to be constructive again.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

TriciaG wrote:Welcome "back," Daryl!
Bless your heart, too! I'm so happy to be in a forum where it's all text and no memes and photos. (Now let's see if my sparkling memory can help me remember who everyone is.)

Literature is the breath of humanity and now so many are suffocated of their own free will. (Okay, that sounded like something out of "Mame".)

:mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Daryl,

FYI, to set up a new project in the new system we have, you'll need to fill out the New Project Template Generator and copy all the resulting code into your first post.

Here are instructions on how to do it in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Template_Generator

Here's a link to the template generator itself: http://librivox.org/add_project

Using the new system is a bit of a learning curve at first, but soon you'll be soaring high with the others. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Oh, goodness, thanks! I was looking at the other links and I don't know what happened but it started as a standard forum post and then it seemed to become some kind of pdf and I was up so darn late I was just thinking, "Erm, o-k-a-y. I think I remember this and this and urg... Just follow your nose and see if it all comes right."

Obviously, I'm rusty. These links look way more familiar.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

welcome back!

i can mc this for you. let me get us a magic window and ill tutor you through how to use it :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

alright!

if you like (if you are a fan of shorter file names), you can shorten the file name to annabellee_xx_maclane_128kb. the _128kb is new - archive.org needs it now to determine what to do with the files. it is no drama if you forget it, i can add it to the file names with one click during cataloging, but it is good to have them :)

also, the magic window and the uploader all look new, but still work just the same as before the change. there is a handy wiki article here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window where you can also find instructions on how to get a password to log on (first part of the wiki article) -- or did you use the new system already?

does that make sense? read the wiki article, see if you can log on and if you can edit the magic window, and let me know if everything worked fine or if you need me to tweak or explain anything :)
Carolin
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Carolin wrote:alright!

if you like (if you are a fan of shorter file names), you can shorten the file name to annabellee_xx_maclane_128kb. the _128kb is new - archive.org needs it now to determine what to do with the files. it is no drama if you forget it, i can add it to the file names with one click during cataloging, but it is good to have them :)

also, the magic window and the uploader all look new, but still work just the same as before the change. there is a handy wiki article here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window where you can also find instructions on how to get a password to log on (first part of the wiki article) -- or did you use the new system already?

does that make sense? read the wiki article, see if you can log on and if you can edit the magic window, and let me know if everything worked fine or if you need me to tweak or explain anything :)
Thank you, Carolin... well, yeah. I'm not sure where to go from here. I remember the magic window kinda sorta... I'm not sure if I ever had to prepare it before.

I've read a few chapters (yeh, I know, we're not supposed to do that until a PL is found, but you know me) but I don't think I've ever put together all of this. Oh, dear...
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

no no, you are welcome to record and also upload any sections you have ready at any time after the project is launched. it is best to wait with recording until the project is launched, because the first post contains the proper intro/outro, and someone can verify the copyright status of the work :)

the magic window is rather easy to use. really! i can tutor you through it without a problem :) if you click on the wiki article i linked, it first explains to you how to get a password in order to enter the magic window. can you follow these steps and try to log on and just tell me if it worked? once you have access, ill explain step by step how to edit the magic window, if this is necessary!

let me know how it goes!
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I know I'm having to cut back on some of my LV projects, mainly my recording, but I would be happy to be your DPL on this project. PL time is easier to fit into my life than recording right now. It is not an overly long book and looks really interesting.
~ Larry
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

silverquill wrote:I know I'm having to cut back on some of my LV projects, mainly my recording, but I would be happy to be your DPL on this project. PL time is easier to fit into my life than recording right now. It is not an overly long book and looks really interesting.
Thank you! Yes, I picked this one because I was going through some stuff in my other project and I discovered this book after I'd augmented the poem by Edgar Allen Poe. It just struck a chord somehow. I looked up the author and discovered some amazing attributes. Not sure if they are worthy of linking here. Lots of almost racy history but then in Canada I'm wagering things of a controversial nature were more often shrugged at than in the U.S. So far it seems to be a dialogue via two people. From what I have read so far? I'm not sure if she meant the narrator to be male or female. (This fits with her back-history, though.) Thankfully my voice is so androgynous that everyone can glean what they would like to from what is coming out of me. :wink:

I have to record to use my voice. I'm stuck at home with no one to talk to and practice is a good thing. :D
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

now that the team is complete, lets move out to going solo :)
Carolin
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Morlock wrote:
silverquill wrote:
I have to record to use my voice. I'm stuck at home with no one to talk to and practice is a good thing. :D
Oh, give me a call sometime! Or, we could be voice pals and shuttle audio letters back and forth.

Taking a look at The Pit of Ultimate Dark Shadows blog and podcast sites. The podcast site seems to have a problem. When scrolling down when I get to episode eight, it locks up and I get an error message. Looks like a fascinating project!
~ Larry