[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 1 is PL OK! Nice work team! :thumbs:

Compliments on the very authentic sounding French names! They all seem to roll off the tongue very nicely! It's funny, Kristin, despite all our various projects together I've never heard you read a solo before - I love the different voices you use to make the characters distinct! :9:
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:Section 1 is PL OK! Nice work team! :thumbs:

Compliments on the very authentic sounding French names! They all seem to roll off the tongue very nicely! It's funny, Kristin, despite all our various projects together I've never heard you read a solo before - I love the different voices you use to make the characters distinct! :9:
Thanks! I usually don't read many chapters in books, they tend to be just a tad long for me. Which is kinda riddiculous when I think about the hours I spent on Peer, and on the astronomical job of Edmund:P
I like doing voices, but in a project as big as this, with so many characters, I have had to write down clues for how I pitched my voice with a character the first time, to at least try and keep them the same throughout.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 2 there is just one editing artefact which makes a word unclear at 16:20, the rest of the chapter was fine! Interesting story - I'm hooked! ;)
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Elizabby wrote:Section 2 there is just one editing artefact which makes a word unclear at 16:20, the rest of the chapter was fine! Interesting story - I'm hooked! ;)
Fixed and uploaded:)
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Kristingj wrote:
Elizabby wrote:Section 2 there is just one editing artefact which makes a word unclear at 16:20, the rest of the chapter was fine! Interesting story - I'm hooked! ;)
Fixed and uploaded:)
Section 2 is PL OK! :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 7 is mtf-edited and uploaded, with these PL Notes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_07_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3 28:36

5:30 and finally, piled up in a corner, a heap of Gherdes, Koula, and Kirchur rugs from fifteen francs a piece., I'm hearing "Kirchurer drugs" .
7:09 a few with borrowed aunts and cousins, I hear a few who borrowed.
19:24, siezed with one of those doubts, I hear ceased with. sieze rhymes with please, trees, sneeze.
23:12 presenting the appearance of mown flowers, mown means mowed down, sounds like moan and groan.
24:23 and kept music-hall singers, not garbled but so fast it's hard to picture what you're saying.
26:45 Of whom the salesmen called amongst themselves, I hear themself
27:55 Thus Hutin was wild at the thought , I hear This Hutin was wild
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Final section 3, one Pl note:

@13:45 "handing it to the cashier" (sounds like "handling" which is something different!)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sections 4 and 5 are PL OK! :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 6 PL notes:

@16:31 the word is "wan" (like "want" without the "t" not "wane" which is something else.) http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=wan

@27:30 the word "baron" appears out of nowhere, I assume this was an editing error.
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Here is the finished section 7 (time the same), and sections 3 and 6 has been fixed and uploaded:)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_07_zola_128kb.mp3
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes on mtfedited Section 8, Chapter 4, Part 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_08_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3 23:01

9:01 not too dear but yet strong, I hear dare, a different word, suggesting maybe she wanted a dress not too "daring" (low cut or tight????), when she means costly. As I mentioned early on in the project, the problem with many (not all) English words that rhyme with dear/fear/steer, if pronounced dare/fair/stare, and so forth, become different words. As you have no trouble pronouncing beer, I know it's just an awareness issue, so I'm just making you aware, but I have not been citing the instances. I can if you wish.

9:39 for the pleasure of doing so, I hear pleasures (tried to delete the s but couldn't)
10:06 Then, when she had seen enough, I hear han
12:31 Indian-azure, stumble/repeat, pronounced as-you're
12:58 skilfully disposed on silk and satin grounds, hollowing out with their medley of colours, a still lake in which the reflex of the sky seemed to be dancing, hollowing out with their medley of colours is missing.
13:12 And before this falling cataract, I hear catervark
20:19 Really the women took things very coolly, I hear woman
21:57 A compact crowd of heads was surging under the galleries, I hear over the galleries (the galleries are the upstairs)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Final sections 3 and 6 are now PL OK! Downloading Section 7... :mrgreen:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Section 7 PL notes:

@03:07 "livery" should sound like "delivery" without the "de"
@09:46 "plaits" the "i" is silent, so it should rhyme with "flats"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 9, mtfedited, is uploaded, and here are the notes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_09_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3

I am amazed how almost exactly the BBC series follows the book so far, merely combining a few of the characters.

PL Notes Section 9
:17 The tre-pi-da'-tion within, I hear tread-i-pi-ta-tion
:38 a dog barking, maybe?
2:09 himself feeling the physical want of a dip, I hear "dep", not a word
3:57 could have slapped their faces, I hear air
6:21 The red carpet stifled the noise of the footsteps, I hear nose
7:07 "So there's no one here to serve?" asked Hutin. Read like a statement, supposed to be a question.
11:12 in his pessimist su-pine'-ness, I hear soupy-ness
12:26 yielding to the antipathy of a contrary nature, pronounce an-tip'-i-thy)
15:09 There at least she was lost in the crowd., I hear "last"
17:39 had lighted up the supreme efforts of the sale, I hear lightened
22:01 "How much, Lhomme?" asked Mouret., asked Mouret, is missing
NOTE: After saying of, you sometimes add a, so it reads ofa, as in "ofa which", "Madame De Bova". I don't recall this happening prior to Section 9, so I am mentioning it here, plus I was able to remove the 'a' in all cases where it happened.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 10, mtf edited, is uploaded, and here are my notes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_10_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3 19:43

A sizzling chapter. Such mean girls! That Jean! Can't wait to find out Pauline's back-story and how Denise gets the money!

PL Notes Section 10
:47 in Madame DeForge's presence, I hear present
2:50 try and look to your appearance. 'to' is missing
4:39 thick shoes brought from Valognes, I hear Alons
6:08 she passed, in short, for the fool of the place., I hear 'sort'
6:50 which her large author-i-ta'-tive person needed to make it blossom forth. I hear author-a-tive.
7:42 a terrible coldness fell from the zinc roof, I hear sink. Both words. Must emphasize zzz-ink
10:37 She was still a pro-ba'-tioner, I hear pro-bi-tioner (not a word)
10:59 mending her chemises as if they had been lace; pronounce she-meez'-es, zzz
18:06 I many a time washed my own chemises! Yes, yes, even my chemises!, same as above
18:44 all the sufferings and all the pri-va'-tions imaginable, I hear pri-vi-ta-tions