[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 11, mtf edited, is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_11_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3

PL Notes Section 11

7:10 adding that she was now reserving herself for her cousin at Grenoble., garbled, I hear something like " "a cussing at grenoble" Try Couzin with a zzz.
7:42 spread abroad by discontented saleswomen just for fun, I hear saleswoman
15:38 bowed to each other at the door, this bow rhymes with how, now, cow
18:01 and there was even a slap given one evening behind some boxes of chemises, chemises pronunced she-meezes.
22:24 whilst Denise had to listen to them, first to is missing "Denise had listen to them"
24:04 had only been able to do up her old black woollen dress, I hear "do up with her". Delete "with"
25:31 The women thought him nice. I hear woman

:30-1:42
13:28 - 14:28
24:56 - end.
In these stretches, a background noise arose when you spoke but not when you paused. Sometimes it is acceptable but a few times grows louder and distracting. Noise removal didn't help. Not sure what causes this. Listen and decide what you want to do about it.

I had to amplify this file +5 to bring it up to 89. Perhaps you should increase your volume or gain before recording.

What mean girls! Go Pauline!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Section 11 is edited and uploaded, at 26:55

Hmm, it can be a number of things; my freezer hums from time to time, and it's standing fairly close, though it hasn't been a problem before. Maybe it was a combination with the kids here or something. I've re-recorded the places and switched them out.

Yes, they are rather horribly mean.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_11_zola_128kb.mp3
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 12, mtf edited, is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_12_zola_128kb.mp3 25:39

PL Notes Section 12
4:07 making up for it outside by giving herself an indigestion with the things she liked; I hear ingestion
5:09 the squadrons of yawls and other boats, I hear sqandrous Pronounce squad-runs
7:44 if he did not bring some "liqueurs" immediately. Liqueurs is the thick syrupy stuff, not same as liquors. Pronounce sort of like lick-yeurs, rather than lick-ers
18:57 like all young pro-bay-tioners, he slept at the house, I hear pro-bi-tioners (not a word)
19:11 accepted Baugé's invitation to accompany Pauline to his home, I hear Bauge invitation (missing 's)
20:18 awakening once in her wounded heart the recollection of Hutin. Such ideas were not very salutary.
I hear awakened, then solitary. Pronounce Sal'-you-tary

Most interesting that the new salesmen sleep on a cot behind their counters at night. This was not shown in the TV series, though a good way to get them to work first thing in the morning, and probably few could afford their own lodgings and transportation at first.

And, the scene described is so similar to this Renoir print hanging in my living room:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Pierre-Auguste_Renoir_-_Luncheon_of_the_Boating_Party_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Section 12, mtf edited, is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_12_zola_128kb.mp3 25:39

PL Notes Section 12
4:07 making up for it outside by giving herself an indigestion with the things she liked; I hear ingestion
5:09 the squadrons of yawls and other boats, I hear sqandrous Pronounce squad-runs
7:44 if he did not bring some "liqueurs" immediately. Liqueurs is the thick syrupy stuff, not same as liquors. Pronounce sort of like lick-yeurs, rather than lick-ers
18:57 like all young pro-bay-tioners, he slept at the house, I hear pro-bi-tioners (not a word)
19:11 accepted Baugé's invitation to accompany Pauline to his home, I hear Bauge invitation (missing 's)
20:18 awakening once in her wounded heart the recollection of Hutin. Such ideas were not very salutary.
I hear awakened, then solitary. Pronounce Sal'-you-tary

Most interesting that the new salesmen sleep on a cot behind their counters at night. This was not shown in the TV series, though a good way to get them to work first thing in the morning, and probably few could afford their own lodgings and transportation at first.

And, the scene described is so similar to this Renoir print hanging in my living room:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Pierre-Auguste_Renoir_-_Luncheon_of_the_Boating_Party_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
I'm trying to download the file, but it says it doesn't exist
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 13 mtf edited is uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_13_zola_128kb.mp3 31:47

PL Notes Section 13

1:13 six salesmen must suffice; I hear suffer
7:07 She's got it stowed away in the neighbourhood, somewhere." 's is missing in She's
70 The first time she understood she turned quite pale before the monstrosity of their suppositions. I hear suspicions.
15:52 although the youngster proves nothing. I hear youngest
19:23 from the unpaid probationer, I hear probitioner
20:15 that the head of the department had sent Robineau to the stock-room, I hear said
22:25 Behind him, Hutin stooped down, saying: I hear "stopped down"
22:58 whose hand felt no warmth from the plate, I hear "fell"
28:41 Ah, they're not stingy of soft words. I hear [ul]Ah, the sting-y of[/u], pronounced stin-gee
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sections 7 and 8 are PL OK! :thumbs:

PL notes Section 9:

@1:30 watch the "v" sound in the word "view", I can't hear it at all in this word. (You've probably been told this before but you can bite your bottom lip to make the sound. It needs to be voiced or the word will sound like "you".)
@15:29 editing error, end of word deleted: "I come from Chartres..."

PL note Section 10:

@18:46 incorrect word: "privations" (it means deprivation, not related to private.) http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=privation

PL note Section 11:

@00:27 incomplete repeat of "little by little..."
msfry

Post by msfry »

Elizabby wrote:
PL notes Section 9:

Chartres, pronounced shart-re, rolling R, no S. I think I took the 's' off when I edited the file. Maybe I took off too much
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:
Elizabby wrote:
PL notes Section 9:

Chartres, pronounced shart-re, rolling R, no S. I think I took the 's' off when I edited the file. Maybe I took off too much
I'll just 're-record it:)
Kristin

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I don't know exactly - it just sounds odd and chopped off. I don't know if that's editing artefact but pronunciation aside, it definitely doesn't sound right. If Kristin still has the original file it might be possible to smooth the edges a bit, but I think a re-record would sound smoother.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 14 mtfedited file is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_14_zola_128kb_mtfedits.mp3 28:37

I'm so mad! No way would I have given Jean another 15 francs! What a cad. And is Denise really that weak, or stupid? Urg!

PL Notes Section 14 Ladies Paradise

1:33 Then he s imply assumed, sounds like Den ise imply assumed
15:50 but haven't said anything to anybody. I hear "sent"
21:26 to report the matter, 'the' is missing
25:13 a hopeless melancholy feeling again took possession of her. pronounce me''-lon-col'-ly
26:46 Hutin and Favier were crowing in the silk department, pronounce crow (like the bird)-ing, rhymes with row, sew, blow
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I'm sorry I have been absent the last week, my life suddenly got extremely busy. It will free up much more from the 28th, but until then there is little chance that I'll get to record anything
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

I just wanted to give a little update. I have the flu, which manifests in a constant headache. I've tried recording, but anything more then 10-15 minutes at the mic makes it a whole lot worse, so I'm a little stalled. I should be back to normal next week *crossing fingers*. Next week is, unfortunatly, somewhat busy, and I have some sections I have promised to put first that I need to get done, so I am hoping to get started on this again in two weeks.
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Sorry to hear you are still feeling bad. Don't worry, this project isn't in a hurry. But could you complete the PL Notes on the sections already recorded, (9, 10, 11, and then mtfedited 12, 13, 14) and move them to the finished column? We shouldn't leave those dangling if at all possible, and that will put us well past the one-third finished mark. 17 is half-way, which I always find a big psychological boost for me on a solo.

I see you have a lot of projects on your plate, so I hope this one doesn't get pushed too far back. I'm trying not to add much more to my schedule, reserving ample time to edit your sections. I was well satisfied with our "2 sections a week" goal, so hopefully we can get back to that.

Poor Denise. No job! No money! What's going to happen to her next? :(