[COMPLETE] The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kristin. :thumbs:
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Moving turned out to take a lot more out of me than I expected, and I am still not quite done, so I couldn't find the time to record. Hopefully, I'll finish moving in the next couple of days, and should be able to record then, and edit during the weekend, so it's gonna be another week before I get the first chapter in, sorry guys.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
msfry

Post by msfry »

No big rush, Kristin, Paradise can wait! But thanks for checking in. :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I agree. There is no rush at all. Take a breath and finish moving. That is a big disturbance in your life.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

just letting you know that the first sections has been recorded, I just have to find the time to edit:)
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristingj wrote:just letting you know that the first sections has been recorded, I just have to find the time to edit:)
Oh, goodie. I am so looking forward to listening to you read this book. But as said before, no rush. Take your time and enjoy the process. I enjoy editing so much, I would edit it for you if I could. :P

Is that ever done, Phil?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

msfry wrote:
Kristingj wrote:just letting you know that the first sections has been recorded, I just have to find the time to edit:)
Oh, goodie. I am so looking forward to listening to you read this book. But as said before, no rush. Take your time and enjoy the process. I enjoy editing so much, I would edit it for you if I could. :P

Is that ever done, Phil?
Sure. Different people edit most of the dramatic works all the time so I see no reason why it must be the reader who edits stuff. The reader should be willing of course.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

philchenevert wrote:
msfry wrote:

Is that ever done, Phil?
Sure. Different people edit most of the dramatic works all the time so I see no reason why it must be the reader who edits stuff. The reader should be willing of course.
In general I really wouldn't mind you doing the editing, as that is not a thing I particularly enjoy, but in this chapter I messed up some parts and redid them at the end, so the file is kinda Messy:p
But if you would like to on the coming sections, I am all for that:)
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Kristin, you're a busy young girl. I'm a retired old girl. Just let me know when you want editorial assistance and I don't even mind messy! My own recordings are chock full of messy and I find it borders on the miraculous when they end up nice and clean like I had never made a mistake. As long as the right stuff is in there somewhere, I can cobble it together! :D
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Kristin, you're a busy young girl. I'm a retired old girl. Just let me know when you want editorial assistance and I don't even mind messy! My own recordings are chock full of messy and I find it borders on the miraculous when they end up nice and clean like I had never made a mistake. As long as the right stuff is in there somewhere, I can cobble it together! :D

Okay, so this is how I've done it; I re-did the first few phragraphs, where I know I mis-pronounced Jean's name (thought is was a girl at first) in a seperate file. I have done a noise cleaning on both files. other, it should be pretty straight forward:)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb_raw.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb_raw_2.mp3
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 1
Here is the edited file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb.mp3 29:45

Kristin, this exudes just the charm I was hoping for and knew I could not give it, and your character voices are a nice surprise!

I talked with my native French-speaking Mom and picked up a few tidbits:
Sous, they don't pronounce the final 's, even when plural. (I was able to lop off the 's' in several places)
Charbourg, they don't pronounce the final g, and the ch sounds like 'sh', so it is "Sharbor", a famous place (I was able to fix).
:17 Emile Zola, should be the masculine Emile, sounds like eh-meal or ay-meal, rather than the feminine Em-a-lee.
25:45 Seine et Oise, Oise is pronounced WOZZ (should be fixed as it is so famous a name)
And I found these:
Jean is still pronounced 3 different ways: Shawn, Jeen and Jawn. I switched it to your preferred Jawn (rhymes with Shawn) whenever I could. The rest of the book can be Jawn.
2:04 plaiting, sounds like platt, rather than plate, wouldn't mention but that food is plated (long a), hair is plaitted (short a)
8:06 magnifiCENT, I hear magnifiGANT
10:13 exasperation, I hear expiration (both words, very different meanings)
16:30 debilitated, colorless appearance; I hear debilitation (makes no sense)
25:49, flowing bowl, I hear bowel (both words, very different meanings)
28:30 giving the signal, I hear single (both words, very different meanings)
29:15 desertion, I hear dissertation (both words, very different meanings).

So have a listen and tell me how I did. Only 10 things I couldn't fix. Personally, I think it sounds VERY DARN GOOD! Is that a dog training clicker you use? That does make mistakes easy to find, though a few times the beginning of the word was at or in the click (10:38).
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:PL Notes Section 1
Here is the edited file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb.mp3 29:45

Kristin, this exudes just the charm I was hoping for and knew I could not give it, and your character voices are a nice surprise!

I talked with my native French-speaking Mom and picked up a few tidbits:
Sous, they don't pronounce the final 's, even when plural. (I was able to lop off the 's' in several places)
Charbourg, they don't pronounce the final g, and the ch sounds like 'sh', so it is "Sharbor", a famous place (I was able to fix).
:17 Emile Zola, should be the masculine Emile, sounds like eh-meal or ay-meal, rather than the feminine Em-a-lee.
25:45 Seine et Oise, Oise is pronounced WOZZ (should be fixed as it is so famous a name)
And I found these:
Jean is still pronounced 3 different ways: Shawn, Jeen and Jawn. I switched it to your preferred Jawn (rhymes with Shawn) whenever I could. The rest of the book can be Jawn.
2:04 plaiting, sounds like platt, rather than plate, wouldn't mention but that food is plated (long a), hair is plaitted (short a)
8:06 magnifiCENT, I hear magnifiGANT
10:13 exasperation, I hear expiration (both words, very different meanings)
16:30 debilitated, colorless appearance; I hear debilitation (makes no sense)
25:49, flowing bowl, I hear bowel (both words, very different meanings)
28:30 giving the signal, I hear single (both words, very different meanings)
29:15 desertion, I hear dissertation (both words, very different meanings).

So have a listen and tell me how I did. Only 10 things I couldn't fix. Personally, I think it sounds VERY DARN GOOD! Is that a dog training clicker you use? That does make mistakes easy to find, though a few times the beginning of the word was at or in the click (10:38).
Great! I'll get them fixed and edited into and take a listen:) about Jean, I can change it if you prefer something else. I just tried to keep to the same, but I kept forgetting, and the natural for me is jeep.
No, I make the click noise myself, like you do when you spur on a horse, at the side of my mouth. Yeah, I'll be more careful to wait a little longer after, it's a common problem for me
Kristin

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Here is the first section, fixed:) I didn't listen to all of it (I can, if you want, to check it over), but it sounded good:)

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/ladiesparadise_01_zola_128kb.mp3
Kristin

msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 1 is PL OK. Is Section 2 coming soon?
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

msfry wrote:Section 1 is PL OK. Is Section 2 coming soon?
Yeah, I should be able to record within a couple of days. In general I plan on doing one section a week
Kristin