[COMPLETE] The Burglar and the Blizzard by Alice Duer Miller - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

The Burglar and the Blizzard by Alice Duer Miller (1874 - 1942).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-burglar-and-the-blizzard-by-alice-duer-miller/
Geoffrey Holland, a young millionaire, visits his country home in Hillsborough after hearing of a recent string of burglaries. To Holland's surprise, he finds the burglar reading a book in his library. And it's none other than his old schoolmate, Billy McVay. As the blizzard gets stronger, McVay persuades Holland to go out and rescue his sister who is living in a nearby rundown shack. What will Holland do and find? (SaraHale)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14835
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Romance

Keywords that describe the book: Christmas, alice duer miller, the burglar and the blizzard

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Burglar and the Blizzard. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Burglar and the Blizzard, by Alice Duer Miller. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Burglar and the Blizzard by Alice Duer Miller. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Burglar and the Blizzard, by Alice Duer Miller. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename burglarandtheblizzard_##_duermiller_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. burglarandtheblizzard_01_duermiller_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by SaraHale on January 12th, 2019, 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Welcome first-time BC
This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator (BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs/edit

Instructions for BCs and DPLs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.
BCs - How to Update the Magic Window
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC's:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

ID3 tags will be added during cataloging so you don't need to add them to your files.

If you have any questions, let me know. Sections can be added by you or deleted by me. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof Listener) volunteers. If you already have someone in mind as DPL just let me know. I've added some information to the MW merely as a suggestion. Feel free to make changes (e.g. leave out chapter titles, shorten longer ones, use Arabic numbers not Roman numerals, etc.). The contents of the MW will appear in the final project page that potential listeners will see and will be used to create the ID3 tags that appear on their mp3 player. Again, welcome to your first solo project.
DaveC
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would be glad to serve as DPL.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

craigdav1 wrote: January 5th, 2019, 2:20 pm Welcome first-time BC
This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator (BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.
DaveC
Hello, Dave! Thanks, I'm so happy and excited to start. I'll make sure to read all the links that you have sent me. Have a nice day! :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

silverquill wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:13 pm I would be glad to serve as DPL.
Thanks so much, Larry! :D I hope you won't mind giving me constructive criticism. I want to do my best recording this book. And any tips to improve is greatly appreciated. I also hope you'll enjoy the book. :mrgreen:

I think I'll finish recording the first chapter next Saturday. I need to get familiar being the BC.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

As the team is now complete moving the topic to the Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

craigdav1 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 6:32 am As the team is now complete moving the topic to the Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
Thank you, Dave! I've removed (~) from the Subject title since Larry is the DPL.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thanks. I forgot to do that.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

You're welcome. :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi Dave,
I've added the book's summary. Please check it out and let me know if you need to change anything.

Hi Larry,
Chapter 1 is ready for PL. I hope you'll like it. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism.

Thank you both! :D
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Book summary added to Project Screen!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

SaraHale wrote: January 12th, 2019, 5:56 am Hi Dave,
I've added the book's summary. Please check it out and let me know if you need to change anything.

Hi Larry,
Chapter 1 is ready for PL. I hope you'll like it. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism.

Thank you both! :D
PL OK!

You're doing quite well. :thumbs:
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

craigdav1 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 6:13 am Book summary added to Project Screen!
Thank you! :D
silverquill wrote: January 12th, 2019, 10:05 pm
PL OK!

You're doing quite well. :thumbs:
Thanks! I'm so happy you liked it. I'll submit Chapter 2 next Saturday, I hope you'll enjoy it as well. :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi Larry,
Chapter 2 is ready for PL. I hope you'll like it.

Thanks! :D