complete The Men Who Found America by F Hutchinson - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome on board :)
Kathrine
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Kathrine. Looking forward to working with you both.

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Elijah:

I'm trying to get "up to speed" on the project so I can be an effective proof listener for you. Which recording software are you using? Audacity?

Another thing: I have downloaded and run all three of the Sections waiting for PL through the technical specs Checker, and they all failed. Two reasons (1) the amplification of the files is too low in each case (we aim for a range of between 86db and 92db here at librivox--and I try to target my readings at 89db) and (2) the files are recorded in stereo instead of mono.

If I know which recording software you are using, I can walk you through the necessary technical corrections. I do have a suggestion for your future recording....

If you have not already done so, download the checker at http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

If you run your files through that before you submit them, you'll know whether they pass the tech specs. After we get files to meet the tech specs, I can then pl them for you.

It appears that all that has to be done to the section 3 file is to re-save it in MP3 format. (If I'm wrong about that, please let me know.) Again, if I know which recording software you are using, I can assist with that as well.

I look forward to helping you complete your solo.

Philip
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Okay. I am using audacity, and forgot all about the volume thing! :lol: Anyway, I will put the recordings into mono, and than I don't know how to change the volume. Do you click amplify? And if so how much do I use? :help:

Thanks for the corrections! 8-)
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Ok...Elijah.

If you have downloaded and installed the Checker (and I recommended in my previous post) it will tell you what the audio level of your file is (as well as its length and whether you have correctly formatted it in mp3 format in mono instead of stereo.). If your file passes the checker, it will pass the tech specs for librivox.

To check a file, use the "check files" option under the drop down file tab Then select your file and click the "check files" tab in the selection window.

I did that with your section 7 and it told me your file was a stereo MP3 file...To fix the mono/stereo setup reopen the audacity project file for section 7 (the one with the .aup extension) Click the export audio option on the file tab. This will open the Export audio window. You'll see a place to type in the file name--and I see you already know to always use the librivox naming convention before uploading your file). Type in the file name--check immediately underneath the file name box to be sure that "MP3 files" appears as the file type. If it does not select it from the drop down list.

Underneath this is a box marked "Format options."

The first line is "Bit rate mode" Select the radio button to the left of "Constant"
The next is Quality--make sure it is 128kbps
The next is variable speed mine says "fast" and I've always left it that way.
The final one is Channel mode. Check the box to the left of "Force export to mono"

Then hit save. This should save an MP3 file in mono format. Incidentally, once you have set up Audacity this way, these setting should automatically be saved so you do not have to do this every time.

At this point when I routinely save files, I then run it through the checker. The only thing left that might be technically out of whack is the amplification. So I check it. When I did with Section 7 the Checker said your file had an amplification of 85.1 db (which is outside the librivox range of 86-92 db.) I always aim for 89 db--about the middle of the range. So you need to add 3.9 db to your file.

Go back to your Audacity .aup file (not the mp3 you just created). In the window you should see your voice print (the squiggly little things). In a stereo file there will be two, but this is in mono so there should only be one.

Click in the window with the voice print and hit control A to select the entire voice print. Go to the effect tab and select amplification. A window will come up which will have Amplification and then a box with a number in it. for Section 7, the number you want is 3.9 so input it and hit ok. If it won't let you hit ok, check the box marked "Allow clipping" then ok. (Clipping is another lesson for another day).

After you have done this, Save the file as an .aup file, then go to the file menu and Export the audio again. Use the same file name (it will ask if you want to overwrite the previous file and the answer is YES.).

Your MP3 should be in mono and have a technically correct level of amplification. If you want to be sure, run it through the checker again.

Do this for sections 3, 8, and 9 as well. Then I'll listen to them and check your reading.

If you have questions about the preceding, I'm here to help.

Many thanks,

Philip
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I don't know about you guys, but all the files I try to open that are PL Notes, I can't open. It says "This site can’t be reached
uploads.librivox.org’s server IP address could not be found.
Go to http://librivox.org/
Search Google for uploads librivox org kathrinee men found america hutchinson
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

Here is chapter 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/ ... hinson.mp3
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Elijah:

Section 3 is Spot PL OK. You did a good job of getting rid of the distracting noises and getting the file into mp3 mono format.

Now as to the other three files. They are the ones you uploaded. Did you save copies of them before you uploaded them? If so, use those copies to make the technical changes and upload them again.

If not, go to the link marked "Listen" in the magic window and download them from there. You will need to re-open them in Audacity (and I would save them as Audacity project (.aup) files) Then I would convert them to MP3 and run them through the checker. Once they pass the checker, re upload the files and then I will listen to them for reading errors.

Many thanks,

Philip
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Great thank you. Also I downloaded the checker, it works pretty well, it just took me awhile to figure that I need to download a file and then put it in the checker :lol: :D Thanks, and I hope to some chapters done sometime soon! :D
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

You don't need to re-record 7, 8, 9. Just fix the technical issues as in my previous posts.

Philip
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Katherine and Elijah:

I will be away from the boards Jan 19-26. I shall return after that time.

Many thanks,

Philip
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I am putting this project back on hold :)
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Weeeell, there are no sections in need of PL as of now -- once there is something for a prooflistener to do, it might be easier to find one... :)
Kathrine