[COMPLETE][Exploration]The Australian Explorers, by George Grimm - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wohoo you made good on your promise ! Thanks Chris, glad to see this project is not forgotten.

Now let's hope our DPL hasn't vanished...

PS could you also update the MW, please ? That way Phil may easier notice that he has a section to PL.

Thanks

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 7 - Chapter 6 - Captain Sturt's Three Expeditions completed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/australianexplorers_07_grimm_128kb.mp3

The floral emblems of both South Australia http://snaplant.com/flowers/sturts-desert-pea-floral-emblem-of-south-australia/
and the Northern Territory https://www.anbg.gov.au/emblems/nt.emblem.html
are named after Charles Sturt.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Chris....I fear our DPL has gone AWOL. I wrote him a PM but haven't heard back from him yet. Let's wait a few more days and if he doesn't show up, I'll put myself in as DPL. :) I need to support you in your recording spree after all.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Kitty wrote: March 28th, 2019, 12:34 am I need to support you in your recording spree after all.

Sonia
The truth is, I think Kitty has discovered her Inner Colonial. "Tropical Kitt", indeed. :wink:

WILLUM 'MATE' COBBLERS:
This is the manager of the Guided NAAFI at Kuala Lumpur, sir. Do you want this tea we brewed up? Or shall we throw it all away?

SEAGOON:
Certainly not. I will not tolerate waste. How much tea is there?

WILLUM 'MATE' COBBLERS:
Ten thousand cups.

SEAGOON:
Right. Keep it on the boil. I'll attend to it.

(puts phone down)

SEAGOON:
Grytpype, we're going to Malaya. Prepare airliners to carry ten thousand troops. Tell them we're going to Malaya for tea.

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
That will mean tropical kit, sir.

SEAGOON:
Tropical Kitt, I love that woman! Ooohh, you mean uniforms?

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
Yes, yes

SEAGOON:
Yes, well, have them issued at once.

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
You will have your little joke.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 28th, 2019, 1:16 amThe truth is, I think Kitty has discovered her Inner Colonial. "Tropical Kitt", indeed. :wink:
:lol: how many names have I already got from you now ? Tropical Kitt sounds cool. 8-) Is this an excerpt from some war-series again (like it ain't half hot) ?

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

how many names have I already got from you now ?”

27, I think, but who’s counting? :wink:

This is from the BBC radio series “The Goon Show”, starring Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Spike Milligan.

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 27th, 2019, 7:39 pmSection 7 - Chapter 6 - Captain Sturt's Three Expeditions completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/australianexplorers_07_grimm_128kb.mp3
ok so I have just listened to this highly adventurous section, since Phil has not replied back to my PM yet. :( But I don't want to let you wait too long for feedback, so I'm PLing until he returns. That way the sections won't pile up.

Wow, these explorations were quite an ordeal :? :shock: That would so not be my thing, I cannot stand the eternal heat without any shade. So when and how would they have known that they reached the middle of Australia ? :hmm: A pity that Sturt's life ambition wasn't realized in the end.

Nice reading, really easy to follow along. I only found one sentence, which I think should get corrected:

> at 32:20: (p. 85) “and was now covetous of the honour of being the first European to plant his foot on the centre of Australia” – you say “Australian” but I guess it’s important that he was European, as the natives probably would already have set foot there ;)

Speaking of corrections...have you corrected the PL notes from your previous chapters already ? If so, please mark them "Ready for Spot PL" in the MW, just so we know. :)

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: March 20th, 2019, 11:52 pmSection 13 - Chapter 12 - Burke and Wills's Expedition Across the Australian Continent completed and ready for PL.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/australianexplorers_13_grimm_128kb.mp3
This is the sad chapter.
:shock: yikes indeed, how tragic ! And I really blame Wright too, how could he loiter about so long when he knew they were relying on him for provisions ? It was a bad choice to have made him number 3, he definitely was not a trustworthy person.

I also wondered why they chose December, January, February for the bulk of their expedition. Wouldn't that be the peak of summer and the hottest time in the desert areas ? Why not do this when it's cooler temperatures ? :hmm:

The chapter is PL ok. :thumbs: Enjoyed it, despite the tragic outcome.

And since I haven't heard anything back from our previous DPL here, I will make the switch now and set myself up as DPL for the rest of this project. The explorations are quite interesting and well written (and narrated ;) )

Now the ball is in your camp, Chris...let's finish this !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

*knock knock*, Chris ? I haven't heard from you in a while in here.

Just wanted to have a short "official" statement that this is not forgotten ;) (and maybe I can persuade you to another section....)

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Just to let you know, I'm still working on this.

Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: November 14th, 2019, 12:47 pmJust to let you know, I'm still working on this.
I'm happy to hear that :9: I would really love to hear more about these rather dangerous excursions.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey again, it's the bi-monthly update query :mrgreen: just in case you had forgotten :lol:

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“Sir Thomas Mitchell's Four Expeditions” chapter has been recorded and is currently being edited. It’s a long one, hopefully won’t have to split it though.

Cheers,
Chris
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:19 am“Sir Thomas Mitchell's Four Expeditions” chapter has been recorded and is currently being edited. It’s a long one, hopefully won’t have to split it though.
thanks for that, Chris ! If you manage to keep it under 74 minutes, then you can keep it in one section. Otherwise splitting somewhere fitting in the middle won't be a problem either. We'll name the chapter Part 1 and Part 2 then.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Section 8 - Chapter 7 - Eyre's Adventurous Journey Along The Great Australian Bight completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/australianexplorers_08_grimm_128kb.mp3

Chris