[COMPLETE] Reports to Mass. Board of Educ. - Horace Mann - iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

And that was the short one of the bunch! I think you have a shot at finishing this one by the end of the year as well!

Section 31 needs one small edit. There is a missed edit at 13:40.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Small edit taken care of - new Section 31 uploaded!
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/annualreportseducation_31_mann_128kb.mp3
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Now section 31 is perfect! PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I just saw the sticky post about the loss of everthing posted between Sept 15th and the present, and the request that we re-upload the lost files. I came over here to re-upload Section 32, but I see it seems to be already safe and sound in the MW. Are we good, then? I don't need to re-upload it?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

commonsparrow3 wrote:I just saw the sticky post about the loss of everthing posted between Sept 15th and the present, and the request that we re-upload the lost files. I came over here to re-upload Section 32, but I see it seems to be already safe and sound in the MW. Are we good, then? I don't need to re-upload it?

I had everything saved on my computer, since I'm listening to your sections, so I went ahead and uploaded everything again last night. We are all good here and in Hardtack and Coffee! Thank you Maria!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Section 33 - (length 40:32)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/annualreportseducation_33_mann_128kb.mp3

And that finally ends the Seventh Report! This collection omits the Eighth, so it's now on to the Ninth!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 33 is PL OK! I'm glad that he had a productive trip! Horace did learn a lot during his travels.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

icequeen wrote:Section 33 is PL OK! I'm glad that he had a productive trip! Horace did learn a lot during his travels.
Yes, he does seem to have gotten a lot of value out of his sabbatical!

I wonder if I could finish this project by New Years! Or at least before the 2-year date from when I started it! :roll: Thanks for sticking with this one for so long.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

commonsparrow3 wrote:
icequeen wrote:Section 33 is PL OK! I'm glad that he had a productive trip! Horace did learn a lot during his travels.
Yes, he does seem to have gotten a lot of value out of his sabbatical!

I wonder if I could finish this project by New Years! Or at least before the 2-year date from when I started it! :roll: Thanks for sticking with this one for so long.

No problem! It's nice to have a slow mover among the faster projects. I don't feel so overwhelmed with the slower ones!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Well, plainly I didn't finish this by New Year's. :?

Sorry that I've been rather absent from LV in general for a few months, on the duets with Greg as well as on this solo. My dad has been hospitalized twice since mid-November. He's now back home, but uses a cane and oxygen, among other changes. So a lot of our home routines have become quite different from what they used to be. Lately it seems as though shuttling around to medical appointments several times a week is all we ever do. :shock:

LibriVox is still my best distraction and cheerer-upper, so I really do want to get some recording going again if I can. Just bear with me if I'm a bit erratic for the time being.

Here's Section 34 - (38:36)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/annualreportseducation_34_mann_128kb.mp3
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I so sorry to hear about your dad being in the hospital! I know it is a hard time, so don't worry too much about your solo project. I know that LV is a fun distraction, but don't feel that I am feeling like you are slacking off. Real life is more important than LV, and LV will still be here. Take care of yourself and your dad, then, when you have time, you can work on your projects. The work will be more enjoyable then. :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thanks, Ann! I'll be here when I can, because I need it!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 34 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here's Section 35 - (length 43:22)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/annualreportseducation_35_mann_128kb.mp3

Ann, would you mind lending an ear this time to an issue I'm wondering about, and giving your opinion?

Lately, I've been aware of a mysterious "click" that occurs randomly in my recordings, usually in the middle of words. The de-clicker has failed to eliminate it. I've been thinking it was something in my mic set-up. But today, I finally realized that the click is actually coming from inside my jawbone where it moves just below my ear. Whenever I speak or chew, I can hear it, and the pattern of clicks I'm hearing matches the mystery clicks in the recordings. This means that it's not something mechanical which I could eliminate, but something I'm stuck with and must deal with.

My solution was to sit much further back from the mic, so that the mic is not close enough to my head to pick up the jaw-click. To make up for the greater distance from my mouth, I've had to adjust the recording volume of the mic to pick up "louder". But that means not only my voice, but the surrounding room noise, is also picking up more. So I have to do a bit more noise-cleaning on the recording. And that seems to result in a different tone, something colder and more brassy.

In this section, you'll hear both set-ups. The worst jaw-clicks occur between the 15 and 25 minute mark. After the 26-minute mark, I changed the set-up, so the jaw-clicks are gone, but the greater room noise and heavier noise-cleaning begins.

So I'd appreciate your feedback. How noticeable are those annoying jaw-clicks? How noticeable is the more aggressively noise-cleaned sound? Which way do you think sounds better/worse? Which set-up would you think preferable for future sections?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Maria,

What I hear around the 25 minute mark are the usual mouth noise clicks that I hear when I haven't had enough water to drink before I record. Your mouth clicks are not as bad as mine can be, and also I have heard worse! Of course, we all think our little noises are the absolute worst thing ever, yours are not a big deal at all! DPL's also don't comment on those mouth clicks, well at least they should not and I have had to gently tell them that those little noises are fine. It proves that we are human! So, section 35 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!