[COMPLETE]Some Everyday Folk & Dawn by Miles Franklin-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi Barbara,

I wasn't really sure how to go about adjusting the level...

I went back into the Audacity file and amplified it 1.5dB, then analysed it for clipping. I'm not entirely sure what it did there. Remove any clipping?

Anyway, I then resaved it as an MP3 file and reuploaded. Has this solved the issue do you think?

Grandma is a stickler, isn't she? I guess it's all tied up with what she perceives to be be the moral turpitude of the leisure classes--she will be better, come what may! Poor Ernest, yes. I think Dawn's slowly coming around :)

Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

kirstyl wrote:Hi Barbara,

I wasn't really sure how to go about adjusting the level...

I went back into the Audacity file and amplified it 1.5dB, then analysed it for clipping. I'm not entirely sure what it did there. Remove any clipping?

Anyway, I then resaved it as an MP3 file and reuploaded. Has this solved the issue do you think?
Yes. Amplify was the right effect to use and mp3gain says that the volume is now perfect. You avoided clipping.

BTW, In my version of Audacity, the Amplify effect won't work if it will cause clipping unless you specifically tick a box in the Amplify drop down window to "Allow clipping." Also, if "Show clipping" is ticked under the Audacity "Edit" menu, any clipped bit will turn an angry red instead of the blue of the rest of the audio file.

Best,

Barbara
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi Barbara,

Thanks, I'm glad that worked.

I did tick the box, because I had the same issue; it wouldn't let me amplify beyond 0db. Not very useful! It may be a fluke that I avoided any clipping, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks for the tip about identifying clipping via the Edit menu.

Cheers, Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Just to let you know that I will be off-line for a while as I am <shudder> moving house.

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

OK. So I've moved but not quite settled in yet. I'll be ready for the next installment soon.

Best,

Barbara
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi Barbara,

Glad the move is over. I've had a couple of chapters recorded but not edited for ages--apologies for my slackness. :oops:

Kirsty
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi again, Barbara,

The next 3 chapters are ready when you are!

Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

kirstyl wrote:Hi again, Barbara,

The next 3 chapters are ready when you are!

Kirsty

I'm ready to take a nice break over the week-end Kirsty, so let's have them.

Best,

Barbara
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi Barbara,

Just uploaded the next chapter.

Cheers, Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Just uploaded the next chapter.

Cheers, Kirsty
I'm enjoying this novel. PL OK except that the adjective at 15:59 should be "propitious" (and I think it's a significant adjective just there).

Best,

Barbara
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

the adjective at 15:59 should be "propitious"
Hi Barbara,

That should read (listen?) correctly now. Thanks for picking it up.

Cheers, Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

kirstyl wrote:
the adjective at 15:59 should be "propitious"
Hi Barbara,

That should read (listen?) correctly now. Thanks for picking it up.

Cheers, Kirsty

PL OK!

Best,

Barbara
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 14 is PL OK again Kirsty, except that it came out as Stereo. When a PL points out that one of my tracks has inexplicably become stereo I select "Tracks" on the Audacity (2.1.0) menu bar and then "Stereo Track to Mono."

The writing about the trains and the history of the route over the Blue Mountains is fascinating. But I do hope Miss Flip hasn't done an Anna Karenina.

Best,

Barbara

PS It's advisable to post the name of the Section in the thread along with the link and the duration. This way the PL gets "notified"and you get fast feed-back.
kirstyl

Post by kirstyl »

Hi Barbara,

I'm not sure why that one came out stereo. I haven't changed any settings before or after, so I hope the subsequent ones are okay. Since you PL OKed, I'm guessing that I don't have to do anything further in this instance? I'll double check my next recordings as I do them.

Meanwhile, I don't have any complaints about the turn-around on your feedback as a DPL. I understand when doing a group recording that it's important for the reader to post the section name and duration of the link on the forum, so the coordinator can enter the relevant details into the Magic Window, but given that I'm filling in those very details into the Magic Window, I'm not sure how it makes much of a difference if I just alert you as I've been doing with a quick note that I've uploaded a file. Is it more difficult to access the file via the link in the Magic Window than it is via a link in the forum? I'm not really sure what the issue is here.

Regards, Kirsty
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

I'm not sure why that one came out stereo. I haven't changed any settings before or after, so I hope the subsequent ones are okay. Since you PL OKed, I'm guessing that I don't have to do anything further in this instance?
Yes. It was easy to fix.
I understand when doing a group recording that it's important for the reader to post the section name and duration of the link on the forum, so the coordinator can enter the relevant details into the Magic Window, but given that I'm filling in those very details into the Magic Window, I'm not sure how it makes much of a difference.
Now that you mention it, it probably doesn't. I must have read it somewhere when I began. Anyway, keep doing what you've been doing. It's working!

Best,

Barbara