COMPLETE[solo]Journal of a Disappointed Man -WNP Barbellion-a

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I just wanted to check in and see how you are? Are you back at your studies now?
I am rather disappointed :wink: that I haven't gotten to listen for a while.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Hi Amy,

Yes, it has been a few months! :shock: My apologies!

I have finished my studies now (the revision of my thesis took rather a lot longer than expected, but I passed, so now I have a PhD - phew! - no academic job, mind, but at least I can now correct cold callers as to my title... or erm something! :lol:)

So! I shall back to Barbellion!

I shouldn't like to leave you disappointed and it would be unfair to dear Barbellion himself not to finish his journal! I am very fond of the man after all.

How have you been Amy?

All best,
Adam

I shall endeavor to update with a couple of new chapters in the coming month, especially as I'm only working two or three days a week at the mo. :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
Congratulations on your achievement! Don't worry about the job. Work is overrated. :lol: (Just kidding-I'm feeling a bit disgruntled in the workplace.)

I am just slogging along here working on my various projects. I published another cryptogram book, so I am happy about that.
I do enjoy listening to this so I am happy that you will be continuing with it.
All the best!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

More of this tomorrow is the plan! :clap:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great! I can't wait. :D
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Section 07 - 1914, part 1 (in which Barbellion is rather unpleasant about overweight persons)

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_07_barbellion_128kb.mp3

Time = 33:20
Size = 30.5 mb
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
It is PL OK. There was a hint of Rimmer from Red Dwarf in there when he laments that he had the wrong parents. Interesting character.
Have a good night!
Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Oddly I used to compare myself to Rimmer when younger so maybe it's in my reading! XD

These following sections from 1914 are Barbellion at both his both beautiful and exasperating. Watch out for his self comparison to Keats and Napoleon!

Section 8: 1914, part 2.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_08_barbellion_128kb.mp3
29.7 mb. 32:32.

Section 9: 1914, part 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_09_barbellion_128kb.mp3
27.8 mb. 30:26.

Section 10: 1914, part 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_09_barbellion_128kb.mp3
34.0 mb. 37:14.

I hope you are well Amy. Have you read anything satisfying lately? I've finished my PhD but rather struggling to find a publisher!

All the very best,
Adam :mrgreen:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
There is a repeat of "selling eels" at 32:15 in section 10.
Section 8 and 9 are PL OK.
1914 was a bad one for his psyche. The Keats comment is something. His description of himself made me wonder---not exactly handsome but interesting. I hope he finds some joy in 1915.

I hope you find a publisher. It can be a hard slog. As far as interesting reading goes, I had fun recording some sections for Damon and Delia by William Godwin. It was so melodramatic--loads of fun, especially knowing such a great thinker wrote it. Apparently he dashed it off in 10 days when he got the commission. His money problems were looming over him. As this disappointed man commiserates, life does not always (often?) fund thinking men or women, does it?
Cheers!
Amy :D
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Many thanks as ever Amy! :D

I wonder if not being able to serve was emasculating for him on some level. His disappointments in love may have been - in his view - insult to psychic injury. I can't help but love him for his fierce attachment to life though and his fighting spirit, related to fighting against his own mind and body for much of the time. He has dignity and pluck amongst all his flailing! Plus, the warmth he feels towards his friends is always charming. I do like the man!

It can be really fascinating reading the "lesser works" of great thinkers and writers! Sometimes pieces which are dashed off are more vital than those Great Works with lots of Important Things to say!

I shall, like Barbellion, keep fighting for my own piece of goodness and decency and, furthermore, try to get someone to publish my thesis! XD

-Adam :thumbs:
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Section 11: 1915, Part 1

(in which not very much happens, but there are some gorgeous little stretches of writing... plus, I appreciate Barbellion's deep enthusiasm for Beethoven)

Size: 37.9 mb
Length: 41:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/disappointedman_11_barbellion_128kb.mp3

I hope my reading didn't suffer because I had/ have pretty bad toothache while recording it.

Also wasn't sure whether to say "MSs" etc. as "messages" since I wanted to keep the abbreviation in tact - see what you think please Amy!

Hope you are well and have been able to enjoy some of the Summer sun!

All best,
Sprock/ Adam
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I thought, "Oh, goody!" when you put up another chapter. I am enjoying this one so much. With honesty, he explains exactly what he is thinking. There were very poignant points in there, such as is brooding over whether it would be better to a scientist or an artist rather than both.
This part is PL OK. I agree with keeping the "MSs" as you have them. I didn't notice the toothache. Your narration was wonderful per usual.
I look forward to your next installment. :D
-Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Daw thanks a brundle Amy!! :D

I may well do the next one within the coming week or so since I think he's on form, this year of 1915! Some very articulate observations and his (often justifiable!) self-pity balanced with a renewed sense of wonder. Plus, I find it really interesting to consider the qualities he looks for in friends. He loves his dandyish jousting matches! I think he just needs intimacy really, like most of us!

Best of all regards,
-Adam
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adam,
I am becoming a disappointed woman. I want to hear more. :wink:
Please submit the next chapter.
I hope all is well.
-Amy
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

Apologies Amy. I got uncharacteristically anxious/ bashful about this one as it hard a sizeable chunk of French and I was worried that my pronunciation near the end was all wrong. I hope it provides some solace/ distraction from such a wretched election. Back in 1915 Barbellion himself is trying to distract himself from the horrors of war (and his shame at not being able to fight - though I think he himself would admit that he does not have the disposition for it anyway, as neither do I).

Size 36.2 mb and just under 40 minutes! :)

I hope you are doing well despite the global situation!

Kind regards,
Adam