[COMPLETE] The Story of Rolf & Viking's Bow by Allen French

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ErinS

Post by ErinS »

The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow by Allen French (1870 - 1946).

This project is now in the catalogue. All audio files can be found on our catalogue page:
http://librivox.org/the-story-of-rolf-and-the-vikings-bow-by-allen-french/

Rolf, a youth in early Christian Iceland, loses first his father, then his property, and finally his freedom to the schemes of a greedy neighbor. Rolf sets out to prove that his father was killed unjustly. But can Rolf also end the cycle of enmity, vengeance, and pride that hangs like a curse over his family and instead seek reconciliation? ( Erin Schellhase)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43381
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

===========================================
    • Project Code: 79LQhYwl
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Allen French) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_French
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have:
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known):
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Erin Schellhase Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Sagas; Children's Fiction/Historical; Historical Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book:
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow, by Allen French. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow by Allen French. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow, by Allen French. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename rolfandthevikingsbow_##_french_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rolfandthevikingsbow_01_french_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Allen French
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Story of Rolf and the Viking's Bow

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: darvinia
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ErinS on December 31st, 2013, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty."

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
ErinS

Post by ErinS »

This is my first solo recording, so I have two questions (probably the first of many!):

1. I am not yet sure how many sections the recording should have. There are 30 chapters, but they differ in length. Some are quite short (under 1000 words), so they it may be best to combine shorter chapters together in the same track. Is there a recommended range for number of words per track?

2. The book summary is just a start; I assume I can edit it later, right?

I'm excited about reading this book and look forward to getting started. :)

- Erin
"No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty."

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Hi Erin. I will MC this for you.

I will start you with 30 sections. It can be adjusted later. 1000 words is not too short for a track, if you want to have one track per chapter. There are as many opinions on this as there are readers. :) Some like to read sections of about an hour, and combine chapters to make that happen. Some do the same for sections of a half hour length. Others prefer to have a separate track for each chapter, no matter the length. As a soloist, the decision is entirely yours.

The summary can be edited at any time. Just let me know in the thread when you do so that I can copy it into the database.

Back shortly with your MW.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

MW is up.

I changed the text link to the download page for the book instead of the html page so that people can choose the format they want.
I shortened the file name and edited the file name to include the _128kb at the end that the template omits.
I added a ~ to the beginning of the subject line to indicate you need a proof-listener. If you have one in mind, let me know.

I have given you a Section 0 for the Preface and then 30 more for the chapters. As soloist you are your own BC (book coordinator) and will need to keep the MW up to date.

I have filled in the first few section titles in the Magic Window, and you will need to complete them. In order to manage the Magic Window, you will need to get a password for the 'behind-the-scenes' Workflow. Your user name is the same for both forum and the Workflow, but the password can be different.

Here is the link to obtain a password and log into Workflow for the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And this one is instructions for managing the Magic Window:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I think that's it! If I've missed anything or you have more questions just post here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Have fun.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Thanks, Bev! I appreciate all the helpful information and instructions. I've set up my login for the Librivox Project Management system, so I should be able to start editing the Magic Window now. (I ran out of time this evening!)

I don't have anyone in mind as a proof listener, so I'll wait to see who's interested in this title.
Darvinia wrote:As a soloist, the decision is entirely yours.
Hmm... indecisiveness is a bad habit of mine, but I'll look a little more closely at the text and come up with something. I just made a spreadsheet of the word counts for each chapter, with estimated reading times coming to between 4 and 23 minutes per chapter (a wide range!). I may combine some of the shorter chapters.

This could potentially make for some very LONG track titles, though. Do you know if that's a problem, or if it's customary to abbreviate the chapter name in the track title in such cases?

Thanks again for your help!

- Erin

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

ErinS wrote:I just made a spreadsheet of the word counts for each chapter, with estimated reading times coming to between 4 and 23 minutes per chapter (a wide range!).
A lady after my own heart. I spreadsheet everything! Totally hooked on the organization they provide.
This could potentially make for some very LONG track titles, though. Do you know if that's a problem, or if it's customary to abbreviate the chapter name in the track title in such cases?
If you decide to combine some chapters you don't need to put all the chapter descriptions in the cell. You can just put "Chapters IV - VII" for example. Even with only one chapter in a section you can remove that description that I put and just say "Chapter I". You don't need to use the Section 0 either. You can combine the preface with the first chapter(s) and begin with Section 1.

Your choice! :twisted:
Bev

ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Hi Bev,

I've added all the chapter titles to the Magic Window!

I'm going to spend a bit of time getting the PG text into a format I like and looking up how to pronounce unusual names. But I hope to be able to record a section or two soon.

At what point in the process does a topic move from "New Projects" to "Going Solo"?

- Erin

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

ErinS wrote:At what point in the process does a topic move from "New Projects" to "Going Solo"?
Usually when you have a DPL and I'd love to! may I?
~Tiffany
ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Usually when you have a DPL and I'd love to! may I?
Hi Tiffany,

That would be lovely. Thank you for offering to proof listen! This is a fun story and I'm looking forward to reading it... so I hope you will find it fun to listen to as well. :D

Best,
Erin

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Thank you!

I think I might have read it years ago, but I am not sure, I will know when we get started. I am sure I will enjoy it though it looks like an intriguing book :D
~Tiffany
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Different MCs have different views on moving topics out of the LaunchPad. I like to leave it for a couple of days so that people can see what is up and coming. And Tiffany is right too. It is more likely to attract a proof-listener in the LaunchPad and if we can snag one then it saves advertising later on.

I'll move us now.
Bev

ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Hi Bev and Tiffany,

Just checking in to say I promise I haven't forgotten about this project. A busy work week followed by a full weekend makes for slow progress. :-)

I have now accumulated a list of all the Icelandic words and names I want to learn to pronounce. There are more of them than I realized! So, that's what I'm working on first. It may be a while before any actual recording starts happening.

Hope you're both doing well!

- Erin

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Thanks for checking in Erin! :)

I'm still frozen in place, here in snow bound Alberta and I'll still be here when you get to recording. There's no rush at all. That's the beauty of a solo. You work at your own pace.
Bev

ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Huzzah! I've finally had time to do a bit of recording.

Here's chapter 1. I also recorded chapters 2 and 3 today, but they still need to be edited.

Title: Chapter I - Of the Lighting of the Beacon
Length: 17:18
URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/darvinia/rolfandthevikingsbow_01_french_128kb.mp3

Tiffany, thanks in advance for PLing.
Bev, let me know if it looks like I've updated the magic window correctly.

Happy (almost) New Year!

C.S. Lewis, On Stories
ErinS

Post by ErinS »

Hmm... then again, it seems I cannot actually update the magic window right now. When I go to https://librivox.org/workflow or click "BC Admin" under the magic window, I receive this message:

"You don't have permissions for this area."

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
- Erin

C.S. Lewis, On Stories