[Solo] A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

A Spoiler of Men, by Richard Marsh (1857 - 1915)
Cyril Wentworth is a thoroughly nasty man, who has an effective means of controlling people and just wants to live a life of luxury. Unfortunately, a young woman seems to have made it her role in life to obstruct him at every turn. What is a villain to do?

Richard Marsh, best known as the author of "the Beetle", brings another story of horror and humor, of crime, retribution and . . . zombies? This story is told in a fairly modern manner and features another of Marsh's interesting female protagonists. (Summary by Alan Winterrowd)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/spoilerofmen00mars/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2023-05-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: JhprR83l
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Marsh_(author) (Richard Marsh)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 34
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1905
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: horror, zombies

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Spoiler of Men. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Spoiler of Men, by Richard Marsh. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Spoiler of Men, by Richard Marsh. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Spoiler of Men, by Richard Marsh."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: spoilerofmen_##_marsh_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. spoilerofmen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nice to see you back, I'll set this up for you ....... Anne

Done - I'm not sure if you've used the workflow before . If clicking on the BC button just under the MW tells you you've not got permission let me know and I'll post instructions. I'll fill in the title for the first file just to remind you.

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

I have used it before, but will need to see if I still have a password and permissions, but it will be this evening before I can test that. Looking forward to doing some more recordings. I have done a couple short stories to get my rhythm back.

I really enjoy Richard Marsh and I think this story is told in a different style, which I like very much. There is a book of his that is not digitized anywhere, so I am trying to decide if I want to pay a couple hundred bucks to get a PD edition and send it out to be digitized. For now, I will work on this one! <grin>
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You've filled the titles in so you should be OK with everything else - no need to hunt for a password.

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Yep. I knew that if I needed to track down a password it would need to wait until this evening, but luckily Chrome has remembered it for me, so I was able to cut and past the titles. Now it is time to start talking to myself and then listening to myself. My friends would say it is the perfect hobby for me.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have you given up throwing boomerangs :D .
We'll wait a bit here to see if a friendly PLer comes by. Anne
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I will volunteer to DPL.
Christine
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

annise wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:41 pm Have you given up throwing boomerangs :D .
We'll wait a bit here to see if a friendly PLer comes by. Anne
I don't throw competitively any more, but I still get out and throw for fun in the summer. I had my right shoulder replaced in 2018 which has made it easier.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

brownrottger wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 4:40 pm I will volunteer to DPL.
Christine
Thank you!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

A friendly DPL joined our team :clap: so we are off to Going Solo ....

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

. . . and away we go!

Chapter 1 uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/spoilerofmen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3

Duration 14:55
Size 14.32 mb
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Boomcoach wrote: March 7th, 2023, 7:21 pm . . . and away we go!

Chapter 1 uploaded
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/spoilerofmen_01_marsh_128kb.mp3

Duration 14:55
Size 14.32 mb
This is in line for PL.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 1 is PL ok. Very enjoyable listening!
Just a friendly reminder to put the recording length in the MW.
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Sorry for the delay, lot going on lately!
Chapter 2 is uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/spoilerofmen_02_marsh_128kb.mp3

Duration 22:37
File size 21.71 mb
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Boomcoach wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:47 am Sorry for the delay, lot going on lately!
Chapter 2 is uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/spoilerofmen_02_marsh_128kb.mp3

Duration 22:37
File size 21.71 mb
I just realized that the link did not save properly in the MW. I will correct that when I get home this afternoon.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page