LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:44 am

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2013, 3:38 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Lavengro by George Henry Borrow (1803 - 1881) .

Quote:
Lavengro: The Scholar, the Gypsy, the Priest (1851) is a work by George Borrow, falling somewhere between the genres of memoir and novel, which has long been considered a classic of 19th century English literature. According to the author lav-engro is a Romany word meaning "word master". The historian G. M. Trevelyan called it "a book that breathes the spirit of that period of strong and eccentric characters". I have decided to use the 1893 edition, which has a lengthy introduction by Theodore Watts, who actually met Borrow. (Temporary summary from Wikipedia)

• Target completion date: 29th January 2015
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20198
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    memoirs

Keywords that describe the book:
    gypsies
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Lavengro. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Lavengro, The Scholar, the Gypsy, the Priest by George Henry Borrow. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Lavengro by George Henry Borrow. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Lavengro, The Scholar, the Gypsy, the Priest by George Henry Borrow. "
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    lavengro_##_borrow.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. lavengro_01_borrow.mp3)
  • [b]Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: George Henry Borrow
    Album: Lavengro

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.

• Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ruthieg - RuthieG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2013, 6:20 am 

Looks interesting :) Need a DPL?

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

Post Posted:: March 5th, 2013, 8:46 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thank you, Charlotte. I have added you as DPL. This is going to be pretty slow-moving.

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 13th, 2013, 6:48 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 000 uploaded :).

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 16th, 2013, 4:15 pm 

Section 000 is PL OK! I think I'm going to like this book. It seems so interesting :D

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

Post Posted:: March 16th, 2013, 5:41 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thank you, Charlotte. I've been in touch with the George Borrow Society, as I wasn't 100% sure of the pronunciation of the title :roll:. They are very interested in the recording, which is super. I'd better make sure it is good ;).

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm 

All of your recordings are now and shall always be of the highest standard! :D

The only other of Burrow's books I've read is Wild Wales, which is quite interesting. I mean, he spends half of his time exploring my town and the surrounding area. In fact, it's surprising how things haven't changes at all! The Wrexham-ers have never been the best at speaking Welsh or enjoying the language, and are still famous for two things: coal and lager. Most of it I find funnily accurate to nowadays, for example, one passage (below) is almost the exact conversation I had with my Mum about why we must got to Rhiwabon pubs when we have three perfectly good (well, rottenly old-fashioned) pubs just 'round the corner:
Quote:
Walking very fast I soon overtook a man. I knew him at once by his staggering gait.

“Ah, landlord!” said I; “whither bound?”

“To Rhiwabon,” said he, huskily, “for a pint.”

“Is the ale so good at Rhiwabon,” said I, “that you leave home for it?”

“No,” said he, rather shortly, “there’s not a glass of good ale in Rhiwabon.”

“Then why do you go thither?” said I.

“Because a pint of bad liquor abroad is better than a quart of good at home,” said the landlord, reeling against the hedge.

Post Posted:: March 16th, 2013, 6:46 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Heh, I don't think people change much really. That's another one that needs recording some day. His style is lovely to read aloud. I wouldn't tackle it myself, though - my Welsh pronunciation isn't up to it, despite being a quarter Welsh myself.

D'you know, apart from one little poem I did for the LV 6th anniversary collection, we have absolutely NO Borrow in the catalogue? It's one reason that I started this one; the other is that he visits my home town in his travels and comments on the "Daneman's skull" (which is now in the possession of the Royal College of Surgeons on account of its massive size).

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 19th, 2013, 8:42 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Charlotte: sorrry to mess you about, but I have decided to bolt on the Author's Preface to Section 000, instead of combining it with Chapter 1. It is mostly a defence of the Church of England and an anti-Catholic polemic, and doesn't fit well with the first chapter of the real book.

The revised Section 000 is 63:56 and the only differences are the first few words of the intro and the Preface itself which starts at 53:33, so there's no need to plough through the whole thing again.

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 19th, 2013, 2:23 pm 

PL OK! :clap:

Post Posted:: March 19th, 2013, 3:14 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks! Sorry, I had forgotten to add you as DPL. Very diplomatic of you not to mention my forgetfulness ;).

Ruth

Post Posted:: March 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 001 uploaded :).

Ruth

Post Posted:: April 8th, 2013, 6:28 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 002 uploaded :).

Ruth

Post Posted:: April 10th, 2013, 10:40 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 003 uploaded :).

Ruth

Post Posted:: April 10th, 2013, 11:38 am 

RuthieG wrote:
Heh, I don't think people change much really. That's another one that needs recording some day. His style is lovely to read aloud. I wouldn't tackle it myself, though - my Welsh pronunciation isn't up to it, despite being a quarter Welsh myself.

When I saw this on the book suggestions board, that immediately came to mind. I think it must be shorter. I wasn't reflecting that as it actually has Welsh in it, it wouldn't be possible for anyone who didn't have at least some Welsh.

I can't remember exactly what's in Lavengro, but I think there are probably some scraps of foreign language imbedded here and there -- besides characters who'd be speaking as gypsies might, as Londoners of various social classes might, as East Anglians might, as "low-life" characters might, thieves argot and all. Then there's his Irish friend, and as I remember Borrow meets (or claims to meet) an Armenian.

You obviously fancied a challenge!