[Tagalog] Noli Me Tangere ni José Rizal - rap

Deutsche Projekte, Nederlandstalige Projecten, Proyectos en español, projets en français, Projekty po polsku, 日本語のプロジェクト
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Noli Me Tangere (o Huwag Mo Akong Salingin!) ni José Rizal (1861 - 1896) . Isinalin ni Pascual Poblete (1827 - 1921).
"Noli Me Tangere" is Latin for "Touch Me Not", and the novel explores the social, political, and religious issues of Philippine society during the Spanish colonial period. An event at the beginning of the story introduces us to the main characters. Ibarra, our protagonist, is in love with Maria Clara. Upon his return, he discovers the injustices experiences by his father, Don Rafael Ibarra, who had clashed with Padre Damaso. Padre Damaso uses his influence to woo Maria Clara's mother. Another adversary, Padre Salvi, nearly kills Ibarra, who is later imprisoned. His friend, Elias, helps him escape, but as a fugitive, Ibarra's future is bleak. (Summary by Rapunzelina)

"Noli Me Tangere" ay Latin para sa "Huwag Mo Akong Salingin," at nililinaw ng nobela ang mga isyu sa lipunan, pulitika, at relihiyon ng lipunang Pilipino noong panahon ng Kastilang kolonyalismo. Isang pangyayari sa simula ng kuwento ang nagpapakilala sa atin sa mga pangunahing tauhan. Si Ibarra, ang ating pangunahing tauhan, ay umiibig kay Maria Clara. Sa kanyang pagbabalik, natuklasan niya ang mga hindi makatarungan na naranasan ng kanyang ama, si Don Rafael Ibarra, na nagkabanggaan kay Padre Damaso. Ginamit ni Padre Damaso ang kanyang impluwensya upang ligawan ang ina ni Maria Clara. Isa pang kalaban, si Padre Salvi, halos pumatay kay Ibarra, na mamamatay-tao. Napiit ito at tinulungan siyang makatakas ng kanyang kaibigan na si Elias, ngunit bilang isang takas, madilim ang kanyang kinabukasan.
Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20228

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
===========================================
Keywords that describe the book:
Jose Rizal; Prayle; Kastila; Himagsikan
===========================================
The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:

No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "[numero] Kabanata ng Noli Me Tangere . – Ito ay rekording ng LibriVox. Ang lahat ng rekording ng LibriVox ay nasa public domain. Para sa karagdagang impormasyon, o para magboluntaryo, bistahin lamang ang : librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Rekording ni [iyong pangalan]"
  • Say:
    " Noli Me Tangere , ni Dr. José Rizal . Isinalin mula sa kastila ni Pascual Poblete [numero ng kabanata at titulo]"
End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "Katapusan ng [numero ng kabanata]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Rekording ni [iyong pangalan], [syudad, iyong blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "Katapusan ng Noli Me Tangere , ni Dr. José Rizal . Isinalin mula sa Kastila ni Pascual Poblete "

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.
Example filename
nolimetangere_##_rizal_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. nolimetangere_01_rizal_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
    http://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by JohanLiebert on February 16th, 2013, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I'm so glad you're reading this (I was quietly hoping for it...) :clap: It's a fantastic novel, I really enjoyed it! And I see that your target date is in one year, that's certainly reasonable... :wink:

I don't want to offer to MC this just yet, maybe somebody else is interested...? And unfortunately, I can certainly not PL either...

However, good luck with it!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up for you - I suppose I should continue the family interest in Tagalog -grandfather was there about 1900 translating the New Testament into Tagalog and we always had one on the shelves at home . Not that I could read it, but it was one of the first other languages I ever knew about

Back soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok set up I think - hope all is right :D

Anne
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Thanks Anne! Now all I need is a DPL :)

Ava, I've been thinking about reading this since I joined LV, it's just the big chapters that's keeping me from doing it :) Its English version had just been catalogued just this year right? :D
Last edited by JohanLiebert on May 25th, 2012, 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
blog

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - It was started as a group I think but was unsucessful - not sure why and Ava decided to read it all - found it long but good. The translator is because it was written in Spanish ?

Anne

She seems to have more chapters than you do ? even allowing for the very wordy English translators introductions - still we can always add more at the bottom of the page :D

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I think I was the only one who had claimed a chapter in the group project, and Ava almost did not know how to ask me if I would let her read the rest as a solo :D
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes, it is brand new, only catalogued this February. I have no idea why the book was unpopular, I guess nobody had heard of it before? Not that I knew much about it either, just heard "national novel" and such. But as I wanted to read it eventually anyway... And then I started threatening/bribing Nadine to relinquish her one claimed section... We have reached a nice agreement on that one, but it's under "don't disclose", so I can't tell you about it...

About the sections, it seems that the Tagalog version also has 63 chapters plus one preface plus one epilogue (not just 58). In the English one (67 sections altogether), I had 4 sections of introduction, which essentially give a brief overview of the history of the Philippines. Obviously this is not needed in a work in Tagalog...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I worked that out :D - its just that April only asked for 58 +dedication :D
I think people assumed the other project was in Tagalog - I did anyhow (yes I know the title is Latin - but I still thought it was Tagalog - I never laid claim to liguistic superiority)
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

annise wrote: The translator is because it was written in Spanish ?

Anne

She seems to have more chapters than you do ? even allowing for the very wordy English translators introductions - still we can always add more at the bottom of the page :D

Anne
Pepe (Dr. JR's nickname) wrote Noli while in Europe, and he wants it to be read not only by learned Filipinos but the Spanish colonizers and friars also, so he decided to write it in Spanish. Of course Spanish is the English of Philippines back then, and it's only reserved for the Spanish settlers, peninsulares, insulares, creoles and wealthy natives. The Indios (that's what the spanish call tagalog speaking natives, which is also a derogatory term) do not understand spanish, so someone has to distribute a translated Noli. I don't know if it's true, but I heard rumors that Noli was then included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.

And I made a mistake in counting the sections Anne, it should be 65 sections all in all :)
neckertb wrote:I think I was the only one who had claimed a chapter in the group project, and Ava almost did not know how to ask me if I would let her read the rest as a solo :D
Big chapters don't always sell I reckon?
Availle wrote:About the sections, it seems that the Tagalog version also has 63 chapters plus one preface plus one epilogue (not just 58). In the English one (67 sections altogether), I had 4 sections of introduction, which essentially give a brief overview of the history of the Philippines. Obviously this is not needed in a work in Tagalog...
Right, I had my roman numerals all wrong :)

This project is wonderful, I learned just now that the tagalog for 'footnote' is talababa :)
blog

Animo La Salle!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And I made a mistake in counting the sections Anne, it should be 65 sections all in all :)
Fixed with a wave of my wand.
It was my understanding that the Spanish discouraged any writing in anything but Spanish - helped keep the natives in their place you know :D

Anne
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

AWESOME! I am so happy that you are reading this in Tagalog, April!! Availle just finished reading the English translation a few months ago - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33964

Now I wonder if somebody will read the original Spanish next?? :hmm:
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Availle wrote:Oh, I'm so glad you're reading this (I was quietly hoping for it...) :clap: It's a fantastic novel, I really enjoyed it! And I see that your target date is in one year, that's certainly reasonable... :wink:
Yes, I really enjoyed the novel too - but more for historical reasons. The novel itself is a little melo-dramatic for my tastes, but for me it is more a way of understanding the author and the conditions of the Islands just before the American colonial period!
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

JoeD wrote:AWESOME! I am so happy that you are reading this in Tagalog, April!! Availle just finished reading the English translation a few months ago - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33964

Now I wonder if somebody will read the original Spanish next?? :hmm:
If I could get my cousin to read the original spanish then the collection will be complete :) ! But of course if he joins we'll need to wait until he gets familiar with everything we have here :)

After I'm done editing the last two chapters of my other tagalog solo I'll start rcording this right away :)

EDIT: I checked the English translation just now... And I think there has been a few mistranslation. Like chapter 63 - Christmas Eve, the Tagalog version says it's "Ang gabing sinusundan ng pasko ng panganganak", which roughly translates in english as "The Night after the Christmas Eve of Birth". But who am I to judge...? I haven't laid my eyes on the original spanish (although I might try to work out my little spanish and check), so the English translation might be the correct one.

EDIT2: The CervantesVirtual copy of the original Spanish befuddles me. Chapters are shorter and everything seems to be out of sync with the tagalog and english version.
blog

Animo La Salle!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Very interesting, April! I read a more modern English translation of Noli Me Tangere that I bought in the National Bookstore in Makati City ... I cannot remember the translator off the top of my head.. an elderly Filipino woman... anyway the introductory essay was very critical of the Derbyshire translation which Availle recorded from. But as with all classic works of literature, the merit of their various translations will always be debated..!!