~[SOLO]The Naval Pioneers of Australia by Louis Becke-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

Chapter 2

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/navalpioneersofaustralia_02_becke.mp3

36:05

... I think that is how I am meant to do it? :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Looks good

Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

Hi Anne,

well, here is another chapter. I finally got time alone at my desk to finish editing it. Chapter three is recorded and waiting to be edited and I look forward to doing it and getting it uploaded.
Last edited by Bidgiewidgie on November 19th, 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

I'm still here!

Back at home now after spending time looking after Dad again.

Back to the editing!!! Will get the next chapter up as soon as I can.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Great
Looking forward to it :D

Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Gabrielle,
I'd be happy to DPL if you'll have me. :)
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

I went ahead with Chapter 1. :)
-It's a little unusual to read the Table of Contents and List of Illustrations, but not a problem.
-There are quite a few breath sounds (most noticeable 10:00-10:45), often on f's and th's. Not much can be done on this recording, but for future chapters, try moving your mic a little above or to the side of your mic so that your breath is not hitting the mic directly.
-at 22:43, there's a tiny stumble "se... seven children", not a big deal at all - I only mention it because I think it would be easy to edit out
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 2, one small note:
-at 1:40, there's an extra word: that they - quote - "they did not...
-I happened to be reading the text at that moment and don't know if I would have noticed otherwise :)
smijen

Post by smijen »

Chapter 3 is PL OK!

BTW, I just noticed the MW and ID3 title tags don't quite match the chapter titles on Gutenberg... was that intentional? Some of the chapter titles are a bit long, but not unreasonably so. You could have them as ID3 tags if you wanted.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks Sarah , I'll add you as DPL , I'm sure Gabrielle will be pleased :D

Anne
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

Thank you for doing all that work, Sarah. I really do appreciate your time and effort as a DPL. Thank you. :)

I can certainly change the chapter titles/tags, I can't remember exactly why they were so short, there must have been some logical reason at the time, but so much horrible stuff has happened since that I am forgetting a lot of little things that I would otherwise remember and I can't at all remember why I made them shorter. I suspect I would have read somewhere on the Librivox forums that this is how it was done, or I heard and remembered examples in other texts like that, or something else to have made me think that was the way to do it? Otherwise, I wouldn't have shortened them since, being a trained professional historian and a complete nerd, I am usually such a stickler for authenticity. But really, I haven't the foggiest. I am not invested at all in any particular format for them and happy to change them if that is the best way to do it, I just might need a little advice for how to do it! for the ID3 tags do I have to remake the mp3 and redo the tags that way or is there another way?

And thank you for pointing out the couple of errors that I missed during the editing, I will go and fix what I can. Before I do though, should I actually be making these changes and uploading a new version or is that just a waste of people's time with uploading new versions and them having to post them to the MW? In the spirit of the gutenberg 99% correctness approach, that is, two words out of place might be fine and not need changing so I am checking before doing the changes. With that, how do I re-post a chapter? I suspect there is an option in the uploading to say something is a re-submit? or does the moderator (?) just replace the old file with the updated version referring to the title?

and I read the chapter titles and picture titles because in various other non-fiction/text book recordings I have heard on Librivox, this is how it was done so I thought that is what was wanted because it is making a copy of the original text. I also have a vague memory of reading it somewhere in the forums and how-to guides that like in a book a reader might skip the table of contents, in a recording they could fast forward through them. Or do you think they were referring to the inclusion of a separate preface file?

I wish my memory was working perfectly and I could answer all these things with conviction! :)

There really is a lot to learn about recording things properly and I appreciate your time and experience. Thank you, again.
Last edited by Bidgiewidgie on November 19th, 2013, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Bidgiewidgie wrote:
I can certainly change the chapter titles/tags, I can't remember exactly why they were so short, there must have been some logical reason at the time, but so much horrible stuff has happened since that I am forgetting a lot of little things that I would otherwise remember and I can't at all remember why I made them shorter. I suspect I would have read somewhere on the Librivox forums that this is how it was done, or I heard and remembered examples in other texts like that, or something else to have made me think that was the way to do it? Otherwise, I wouldn't have shortened them since, being a trained professional historian and a complete nerd, I am usually such a stickler for authenticity. But really, I haven't the foggiest. I am not invested at all in any particular format for them and happy to change them if that is the best way to do it, I just might need a little advice for how to do it! for the ID3 tags do I have to remake the mp3 and redo the tags that way or is there another way?]
People handle chapter titles differently and I accept it - as long as they start with the section numbers so they sort in order. Sarah and I belong to the "like chapter titles" school obviously :D . It is up to you , but if you want to change the entries in the title field in the MW there is no need to change the ID tags - I can just import the MW fields when I am catalguing - very easy to do.
And thank you for pointing out the couple of errors that I missed during the editing, I will go and fix what I can. Before I do though, should I actually be making these changes and uploading a new version or is that just a waste of people's time with uploading new versions and them having to post them to the MW? In the spirit of the gutenberg 99% correctness approach, that is, two words out of place might be fine and not need changing so I am checking before doing the changes. With that, how do I re-post a chapter? I suspect there is an option in the uploading to say something is a re-submit? or does the moderator (?) just replace the old file with the updated version referring to the title?
THe uploader is very clever. When you upload a file with the same name as one already there it renames the existing file by adding the date/time to the file name , and then uploading the new file. So the MW always links to the newest version.

Some PLing notes you need to change like any technical issues and the intro and outro but others are up to you - unless the extra/mixed word changes the meaning you needn't do anything.
and I read the chapter titles and picture titles because in various other non-fiction/text book recordings I have heard on Librivox, this is how it was done so I thought that is what was wanted because it is making a copy of the original text. I also have a vague memory of reading it somewhere in the forums and how-to guides that like in a book a reader might skip the table of contents, in a recording they could fast forward through them. Or do you think they were referring to the inclusion of a separate preface file?

I wish my memory was working perfectly and I could answer all these things with conviction! :)
Its up to you with the table of contents , most people don't. But I am listening to something now that has them. It does depend on the book and we don't insist on people reading the text under illustrations or footnotes either.
There really is a lot to learn about recording things properly and I appreciate your time and experience. Thank you, again.

Gabrielle
smijen

Post by smijen »

annise wrote:Some PLing notes you need to change like any technical issues and the intro and outro but others are up to you - unless the extra/mixed word changes the meaning you needn't do anything.
Absolutely agree! Totally up to you if you make the changes, but I'll always point out anything obvious because I sure wouldn't want you to listen to it a year from now, be disappointed with something, and say "why didn't that darn PL'er tell me to fix that?"!
Bidgiewidgie

Post by Bidgiewidgie »

Hello, just checking in to say I am still on the project and not disappeared or abandoned it!