[COMPLETE-HEBREW] Bible (Hebrew) 02: Exodus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

GrownupDaria wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am Oh, and there was something strange with the uploader: the file sizes on my computer are 9.3Mb for section 11 and 8.3Mb for section 17, but the uploader showed this: 9.05Kb and 8.06Kb respectively. I have a screenshot but I don't know how to attach files.
Is that ok?
Yes, it's okay. That's one of the little bugs with the plugin we use for the uploader: it displays the final file size as kb rather than mb. It has been that way since 2013. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Kudos to me for noticing it on my 12th (!) upload. :shock:
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would like to help in some way, but I do not speak Hebrew. The best I could do is to listen for obvious noises, lapses, glitches, and the like. Would that be of any use? Obviously a Hebrew speaker would be preferred as a PL. We do have some about, I'm sure.

No rush now for an answer. I'm around quite a lot. If I can be of service sometime now or in the future, just let me know.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks for the nudge. It doesn't look like our DPL panned out, so I've cleared that spot. Perhaps someone who does understand Hebrew will pop in. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

GrownupDaria wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:38 am Kudos to me for noticing it on my 12th (!) upload. :shock:
A thousand people don't even notice it for the one that does. So you're in an elite group. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 11:21 am Thanks for the nudge. It doesn't look like our DPL panned out, so I've cleared that spot. Perhaps someone who does understand Hebrew will pop in. :)
I hope so.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

New version of section 2 uploaded after minor corrections. Magic Window updated.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_02_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrownupDaria wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:27 am New version of section 2 uploaded after minor corrections. Magic Window updated.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_02_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3
I understand that I can help now. Section 2 PL OK!
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Thanks Kevin!
I want to recheck sections 3-11 and 17, just to be sure that I haven't missed anything. Will post when I'm done, so you can take over.

Many thanks again!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrownupDaria wrote: July 24th, 2020, 6:17 pm Thanks Kevin!
I want to recheck sections 3-11 and 17, just to be sure that I haven't missed anything. Will post when I'm done, so you can take over.

Many thanks again!
Sounds like a good plan.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Section 3 checked, unfortunately had to be corrected, new version uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_03_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3

I've changed the statuses of the sections that I haven't checked yet back to "assigned", so the sections that are (and will be) marked as "ready for PL" are REALLY ready for PL.

God Bless the 2000-year tradition, that preserves a 2000-year-old form of the Hebrew language. There's an idiom in Hebrew about it: it's teeth-breaking (there must be an equivalent in English). In my case, it twists my tongue into a noose.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Section 6 ready for PL, new version after a teeny-weeny correction:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_06_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3

I'll have to record sections 4-5 again, because they sound like a bunch of cut-and-pastes, and I have no idea how I've missed it before.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi-- just dropping by to mention that there's an interlinear edition with transliteration one could use for PL without knowing the Hebrew alphabet:

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/exodus/1.htm

Great to see this being recorded and kudos to Kevin for taking on the PL.

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kazbek wrote: July 28th, 2020, 5:43 am Hi-- just dropping by to mention that there's an interlinear edition with transliteration one could use for PL without knowing the Hebrew alphabet:

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/exodus/1.htm

Great to see this being recorded and kudos to Kevin for taking on the PL.

Michael
Thank you!
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Hi Michael and Kevin,

First, Michael, thank you!
I just checked it out and the transliteration is phonologically not accurate, exactly at the spots that give me so much trouble (because of the difference between ancient Hebrew and modern Hebrew).
For example, the letter Bet is sometimes pronounced as B and sometimes as V, depending on whether there's a dot indise it. The letter Vav can be either one of the vowels U (oo)or O, or the consonant V. That's why the diacritics (all the dots and lines above, below, beside and inside the letters) are so important.
So in the first 3 lines (on my mobile screen) the letter Bet appears in the word Bnei (the sons of), in Hab-baim (who came) and YaacoV (Jacob), but in Jacob it's transliterated as YaacoB - which is a mistake. I would use this site only for general/educational purposes, not for a word-by-word PL.

Oh, and in case anyone wants to learn modern Hebrew, I should warn them that nobody uses diacritics anymore, except for the first two years in school and in poetry. But... the letter Bet is still pronounced either as B or V and one actually has to memorize each word that has a Bet (and three other letters with the same characteristics - Peh (P or F), Kaf (K or Kh) and Shin/Sin (Sh or S)). Just saying... :roll: