[COMPLETE-HEBREW] Bible (Hebrew) 02: Exodus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We'll have to look into it further. CC BY-SA isn't Public Domain - we don't SA (share-alike using the same CC license).

I'm leaving for a few hours. We can investigate further. There's plenty of time, anyway.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think we could use this online text: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0.htm
The copyright is for the html version, not on the text itself.

Or if you want just the Hebrew: http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0.htm

Do those work for you?
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

These are great. I didn't suggest this source because I understood that it was copyrighted.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between a copyright on the html and the text itself, and this is a more general question. No one holds the copyright of the Bible. Therefore, wouldn't any copyright or license be only on the html version?

The particular question is whether LV can use this link as the source of online text in the catalogued project, when it's finished.
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, still working on that.

What about this one? https://www.originalbibles.com/masoretic-hebrew-bible-1894/

I can't read it to see if it has any restrictions.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

It seems to me that this is a scanned copy of a printed Bible, dated 1894. Although the instructions say that the whole pdf can be viewed after being downloaded, all I see is a navigation dropdown menu for single pages, and no single pdf file available for the entire book. If you skip to page 2, you can see a label of the University of Toronto library. Page 8 is the inner cover of the book, with the publisher's name at the bottom and dated 1894. Inside the book there is no reference to copyright at all. So, my guess is that in the worst case, the copyright has expired (?).

If we can't use the other sources, I guess this one would suffice. But if the link provided in the catalog page is in frequent use by readers (or would be used by the PL), it's not a very comfortable solution since the text is not continuous and you have to manually "turn" the pages using the dropdown menu.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, yeah, that one doesn't seem to work. :hmm:

There's a 1524 Hebrew text on Archive.org. What about this one? https://archive.org/details/The_Second_Rabbinic_Bible_Vol_1

The format "PDF with text" is much smaller (40 MB) than the simple "PDF" format (735 MB), or it could be read online.

(Still working on an OK on the other source with the copyright on the html, but looking for other sources just in case..)
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Wow, this is beautiful! Totally off-topic: it's the Hebrew text with a translation to Aramaic and commentaries by two of the leading scholars of the Middle Ages.

I'll have to look into it more thoroughly and compare the text with the modern printed copy although I believe they are identical - the whole idea of the Mesorah (tradition or passed by tradition) is that all the versions are supposed to be the same. Unfortunately, it will have to wait a couple of days because of my exams.

Will post again as soon as I get a chance to delve a little into the text.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Hi,

After comparing the pdf file on archive.org with my printed version - I think the texts are the same. I haven't ready every single sentence, of course, but I compared the first chapters word by word, and then skimmed randomly through some more - and haven't found any discrepancies.
The ancient text is not easy to read though: first, the type is old and some letters are incomplete (like in worn typewriters, where some of the letters a broken); second: each page consists of 4 texts: the main text is in the middle alongside an Aramaic translation. The Hebrew text is in larger letters than the Aramaic, but since there are odd and even pages, the Hebrew text is sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left of the middle section.
I'm not sure it's really significant, since I can't read the text the way it is read in synagogues, more like a story, and I guess whoever chooses to listen to such a recording might find the original text a bit too challenging.

Meanwhile I've submitted the 1-min test and Tovarisch said it was ok.
I'll begin preparing the texts for reading and I've got a couple of technical questions. Should I wait for my MC or should I ask here?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Go ahead and ask here. Depending on the question, possibly anyone can answer it, or it can be answered by an MC when one comes along.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Ok.
1. The first chapter has already been recorded, but this thread is marked solo. Should I record the first chapter too?

2. Sections 6 and 7 are the only case where a chapter is divided between two sections. I read the text and there is logic in this division. But the question is whether we should maintain the original sequence and order, or should we truncate the contents if the text deviates to another subject?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

1. If you're "adopting" this project, we'll want to keep the first section. So I suppose in a way, this is a duet. :) It's a "solo" in the sense that you're the only one working on the project at this time, as opposed to a group project where others can come in and claim and record portions of it.

2. It's up to you where you want to divide the sections. If the spot in sections 6 and 7 makes sense, use it. Or you could divide it elsewhere, keeping chapter 17 together in a section rather than dividing it. Personally, if it were my project, I'd probably put all of chapter 17 either in section 6 or section 7.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

1. :thumbs: I'd rather keep the original recording. I like it.

2. I think I will keep chapter 17 in one section. When I reach it, I'll let the MC know where it would go.

Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'll MC. (I suppose it isn't much surprise, is it?)

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Regarding Chapter 17 - when you get to it, you can change it in the Magic Window yourself. ;) Heck, you can divide up the book however you want - you don't have to follow what the original soloist had in mind for section divisions if you don't want to.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

:lol: :lol:
You are the most patient admin :lol: :clap:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team