[COMPLETE-HEBREW] Bible (Hebrew) 02: Exodus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

AmateurOzmologist wrote:Excellent! Then I would appreciate it if you could sign me up for something on the shorter side. :)
I'm not sure which sections are shortest. Perhaps have a look through and choose one you'd like to do.

Best wishes,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

This project will soon be closed due to lack of activity.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moved to Book Suggestions for Daria to look at.

The file that was submitted is here: https://librivox.org/uploads/abandoned/exodushebrew/exodus_01_hebrewbible.mp3 if you want to listen/PL it.

If and when this becomes a solo (using the existing audio), we'll move it to the Launch Pad for a new MC and to clean everything up. The claimed sections will all be cleared out at that time.

Please post any more questions about taking this on, and if you decide for or against adopting it. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

TriciaG wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:16 pm Moved to Book Suggestions for Daria to look at.
Thanks, Tricia!

I'll read the full text first and meanwhile post a 1-min test. Is it ok if the test (it's only 30 seconds long?) would be from a copyrighted book? On PG there are only a couple of texts in Hebrew, they are all without vowels (the diacritics for correct vowel pronunciation) and contain words that haven't been in use for a 100 years so I'm not even sure how to pronounce them. If the test is not only for technicalities but also for proper reading, I would need a text with vowels - and that means either a copyrighted book or the Bible itself.
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

30 seconds is OK.

Whoever checks your test isn't going to know Hebrew, so they won't be able to help you with pronunciation. You can do the test in English if you want.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

That is my dream but I'm afraid you'd kick me out. :lol:

Anyway, the second part of the test is in English so you can test my English too. Some people think it's funny: American pronunciation with a mix of Hebrew and Russian accent.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

I have a dilemma and will follow your advice:
Exodus is not a very "interesting" book plot-wise. The first third is the story of the Exodus from Egypt, a more detailed account of the Haggada that is read on the first Evening of Passover (not in synagogues but at home with the family). The other two thirds are mostly dedicated to an extremely detailed and technical account of the religious rituals and the artifacts for rituals - for example the Ark of the Covenant (size, ornaments etc.).
So, we could either put Exodus on hold for the time being and continue straight to Leviticus and Numbers and then go back to Exodus and Deuteronomy, the more technical books. Or we could stick to the original order of the Books, with the aim of eventually recording everything.

Whatever your decision is, I will take the first project but it will take some time: first, my exams end in mid-July and until then I will, at best, manage to do the readers's test. Second, the original text is written in Biblical Hebrew. That means that in order to read it fluently, I will have to do some preliminary heavy editing - punctuation, replace some old vowles with the modern vowels so I don't get mixed up in the reading.

Would that be ok?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Isn't Leviticus also pretty technical?

It's completely up to you. Other versions of the Scriptures have not been read in order, and there's no requirement that they be so. You could even jump up to Judges if you really want some action. :)

In the meantime, since you're not interested in this one, I'll stick this back in storage after you have seen this post.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Baaahh. Apperntly I don't remember anything from my school days (even in the secular public education system we all learn the Bible, pretty much from beginning to end).

Well, I skimmed through Leviticus, you're right, and I'm only half- right. While Leviticus is focused on rituals and laws of conduct, Exodus is more about the technical instructions of the artifacts. It is mixed though, and there are parts in Exodus that olso deal with the rituals and law (penal and torts mainly).

So I guess there isn't much difference. Let's stick to the original order and I'll read Exodus.

Would you like to wait for my test and then assign the MC?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll go ahead and move this over to the Launch Pad. When you've done your test, post back in this thread that you're ready to go, and someone will come along to MC it. :)
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

:thumbs:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Hi there, do you still need a DPL? Also, the link to the text isn't working.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Daria will need a DPL, but she won't be starting on this project for a month or so. She's adopting an abandoned project and hasn't done her 1-minute test yet. Has exams in mid-July, and then will work on this. So it'll be a while.

This is going to be in Hebrew. Do you understand that language?

She/we will have to find an alternate text link, I guess. Thanks for pointing that out. :hmm:
ErickMcFarlow

Post by ErickMcFarlow »

Oh, I thought this was going to be in English, whoops. :roll:
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

I was thinking of reading from a scanned copy of the printed version (so I could mark my changes for fluent reading).

As for an online source, there is a CC source (CC BY-SA 3.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), available on wikisource. The English homepage is here: https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/User:Dovi/Miqra_according_to_the_Mesorah#beginning

The full text is available here: https://he.m.wikisource.org/wiki/%D7%A1%D7%A4%D7%A8_%D7%A9%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA/%D7%98%D7%A2%D7%9E%D7%99%D7%9D/%D7%A9%D7%9C%D7%9D

For reading purposes (because I have to edit punctuation etc., but not for PL), there is another version, also under CC BY-SA 3.0 where the text differs a bit from the Mesorah text, but it has already been mostly adapted to modern Hebrew. If I am permitted to use this text, there will be much less editing to do, and I can compare the text to the Mesorah version while preparing the text for reading. Thus, the PL and the official link will be the Mesorah version listed above.

If both versions are incompatible with LV policy, the reading and the PL will have to rely on printed versions because it seems that there aren't any PD versions of the Bible, only copyrighted ones. :(