[COMPLETE-HEBREW] Bible (Hebrew) 02: Exodus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to know about those transliteration errors when I finally get to learning Hebrew! :) The transliteration might still be useful for the usual standard PL issues. E.g., if it sounds like there's a repeated passage, one could use it to verify that it's not two verses that begin in the same way.

Michael
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Great idea for the PL.
As for learning Hebrew, I have an idea: start with Modern Standard Arabic. The attributes that make Arabic and Hebrew difficult to learn for a Western student are pretty much the same, but it is much more structured grammatically. Besides, learning Hebrew just to find the transliteration errors? :lol:
"When eating an elephant, take one bite at a time."
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

That's a Hebrew study tip one doesn't hear often! But, in fact, I had the same idea a long time ago, and was just reviewing the other day the 15,000th or so Arabic word I've tried to memorize over the years. I've always wanted to read the Torah in the original, so if someone told me they were going to record it in its entirety for LV and needed a PL for it, that just might push me over the brink... ;) I just hope those shared Semitic roots really pan out, so I don't have to memorize another 15,000 words to read it!

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Kazbek wrote: July 29th, 2020, 5:34 am That's a Hebrew study tip one doesn't hear often! But, in fact, I had the same idea a long time ago, and was just reviewing the other day the 15,000th or so Arabic word I've tried to memorize over the years. I've always wanted to read the Torah in the original, so if someone told me they were going to record it in its entirety for LV and needed a PL for it, that just might push me over the brink... ;) I just hope those shared Semitic roots really pan out, so I don't have to memorize another 15,000 words to read it!

Michael
Michael, do you want to PL this project? Or share the duty?

I'm happy to do this alone, but you sound interested.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Sorry, I mean to sound only hypothetically interested. :mrgreen: If GrownupDaria told me they were planning to record other Tanakh books as well, I'd probably start on a textbook and be ready to volunteer for PL (only standard PL, of course) in 2-3 months, but for now you are the DPL knight with the shining headphones on!

Michael
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Michael,
Learning Hebrew in order to read the Torah is like learning English in order to read Chaucer (I guess? Never read him in English), or, in reverse, learning the phase between Old English and Middle English in order to read the New York Times. But if you want to listen to a much more professional recording than mine (where you can actually hear the difference between Het and Khaf, or Aleph, Ayin and Hae), try this (copyrighted but free) recording:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0201.htm
(The audio is always the link in the 3rd line, and the list of chapters is in the second line).

Kevin, you ARE a hero! Seriously! :clap:

Daria
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Well, my aunt is learning English in order to read Tristram Shandy and Moby Dick, so I guess it runs in the family. :lol: Thanks for the tip!

Michael
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 3 is PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Daria, both Sections 6 and 7 meet the LV technical specs.

Do you want me to listen to them? I am a little confused. Specifically, I saw something about word perfect PL.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Thank, Kevin!

Well, I'm doing the word perfect PL myself, since it requires someone who knows Hebrew pretty well (hence the delay with sections 3-4, which I wanted to record again).

I'm not sure what my request for "tech specs" actually means, compared to standard PL. I ran each section through the Checker app, they all passed, and yet while "word-perfect-PLing" sections 3 and 4, I heard a number of distinct differences between parts of the same section. Most of them were caused by corrections I made during the recording (one section = one recording session, which means that even a slight change in the angle or distance between me and my laptop causes a distortion). Personally, it drives me mad to listen to recordings where there are differences in pitch, echo, bass-treble balance etc. in the same section. So I guess I wanted someone to tell me whether I am always mad, sometimes mad (but sometimes it would be better if I recorded some sections over again), or not mad at all... :roll: And I think it requires actual listening? :?

I had to take a break for a couple of days. I thought I changed the status of the sections that I wanted to recheck or record again back to "assigned" about a week ago (including section 3, which you've meanwhile PLed), so you wouldn't waste time on PLing sections I'm not sure they're ready. Maybe these changes haven't been saved?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrownupDaria wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 5:36 am Thank, Kevin!

Well, I'm doing the word perfect PL myself, since it requires someone who knows Hebrew pretty well (hence the delay with sections 3-4, which I wanted to record again).

I'm not sure what my request for "tech specs" actually means, compared to standard PL. I ran each section through the Checker app, they all passed, and yet while "word-perfect-PLing" sections 3 and 4, I heard a number of distinct differences between parts of the same section. Most of them were caused by corrections I made during the recording (one section = one recording session, which means that even a slight change in the angle or distance between me and my laptop causes a distortion). Personally, it drives me mad to listen to recordings where there are differences in pitch, echo, bass-treble balance etc. in the same section. So I guess I wanted someone to tell me whether I am always mad, sometimes mad (but sometimes it would be better if I recorded some sections over again), or not mad at all... :roll: And I think it requires actual listening? :?

I had to take a break for a couple of days. I thought I changed the status of the sections that I wanted to recheck or record again back to "assigned" about a week ago (including section 3, which you've meanwhile PLed), so you wouldn't waste time on PLing sections I'm not sure they're ready. Maybe these changes haven't been saved?
I'm afraid I am confused as to what I should do.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Hmmm. Sorry about that.
At this point: you said PL OK on section 3 but I didn't understand whether you've listened to it or just ran the Checker. If you haven't, could you please listen to either section 3 or 4 (just one of them will do) with special attention to what sounds like cut-and-pastes (changes in pitch, echo etc.)? I thought the cut-and-pastes were very conspicuous and wanted to record these sections again, but if you think otherwise...
Thanks.
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria »

Section 12 uploaded, Word Perfect PL done (OK), Magic Window updated, only my vague notion of "tech specs PL" needed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_12_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrownupDaria wrote: August 6th, 2020, 4:51 am Hmmm. Sorry about that.
At this point: you said PL OK on section 3 but I didn't understand whether you've listened to it or just ran the Checker. If you haven't, could you please listen to either section 3 or 4 (just one of them will do) with special attention to what sounds like cut-and-pastes (changes in pitch, echo etc.)? I thought the cut-and-pastes were very conspicuous and wanted to record these sections again, but if you think otherwise...
Thanks.
Sorry for the overdue response.

I check the technical specifications for every section I PL and, here, I've been listening for obvious glitches, gaps, and even repeats (if I can catch them.) To hear changes in the aural tones is beyond my capabilities and, frankly, I don't think they are easily corrected by the reader anyway.

I'm very happy to continue to serve as DPL, but your needs may be beyond my ability.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

GrownupDaria wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:30 am Section 12 uploaded, Word Perfect PL done (OK), Magic Window updated, only my vague notion of "tech specs PL" needed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/exodus_12_hebrewbible_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
The required technical specifications are very easy to understand, for the most part. We use the Checker program which tells us if the recording in mono, uploaded with a constant bit rate of 128, etc.

I know that this project is unique, but one does not usually approve one's own recording as Word Perfect PL OK.