COMPLETE: The Jade Story Book; Stories from the Orient, by Penrhyn Wingfield Coussens -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Nicole. 71 minutes is under the limit for burning to CD, so since this is your solo, it's up to you if you want leave it as a single file or split it into 2 shorter files. I suggest you think how you would prefer it as a listener. If you do split it, the change in the intros you propose are fine or you can say Prince Ahmed, part 1, and Prince Ahmed, part 2.
Jo
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:18 pm Hi Nicole. 71 minutes is under the limit for burning to CD, so since this is your solo, it's up to you if you want leave it as a single file or split it into 2 shorter files. I suggest you think how you would prefer it as a listener. If you do split it, the change in the intros you propose are fine or you can say Prince Ahmed, part 1, and Prince Ahmed, part 2.
Hi Jo, thank you, your answer helps clear things up for me. I think as a listener I would be taken aback at this 71-minute outlier among other sections no longer than 25. I think I will go ahead and split it into two sections after all. And next time I start a solo project I'll try to take more time looking at word counts so that I won't be surprised mid-project like this again!

@afutterer - I'm not going to change anything about the recording other than the intros and outros, so if you've already started PLing hopefully this won't represent any wasted effort on your part.
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

All right, the story is split. Here are section 16...

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_16_coussens_128kb.mp3
38:06

...and section 17.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_17_coussens_128kb.mp3
33:44

Thanks, y'all, for all the help and patience as I worked my rather slow way through this!
Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 16 & 17

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 18

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Putting a few more in the Ready-For-PL queue - I remembered that I meant to have it all recorded by the end of the year, and wow that's soon!

Section 21:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_21_coussens_128kb.mp3
3:07

Section 22:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_22_coussens_128kb.mp3
3:41

Section 23:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_23_coussens_128kb.mp3
12:06
Say hi on Mastodon!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 19

PL OK
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 20

PL OK
Anthony

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 21, 22, 23

PL OK
Anthony

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

So I reread the Solo Reading instructions, especially the bit about making sections between 10 and 40 minutes long, and I would like to go back through and combine the tinier sections into files of more reasonable length. As with the section I had to split, I don't think this should require extra PL'ing - the material is already there, it just needs a little rearranging. So you'll see the sections and their titles in the MW shift around a bit, and there will be some files that will eventually need deleting off the server because we won't have 38 sections anymore.

I'll resume reading soon as I've gotten that done!
Say hi on Mastodon!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

All right, all done - and what was Section 24 is now Section 15, ready for PL:

Section 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/jadestorybook_15_coussens_128kb.mp3
14:04

I moved all the now-empty rows to the end of the MW, leaving the unrecorded section rows as they are for now. Next time I sit down I'll look at word counts to better determine which stories should be combined into single section files, and update the MW accordingly.
Say hi on Mastodon!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I've deleted the empty rows.
Jo
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: December 25th, 2022, 10:24 am I've deleted the empty rows.
Fantastic, thank you. And I ended up rearranging the remaining sections last night, so we should be all ready for the home stretch. Gonna try to finish up my reading this week.
Say hi on Mastodon!