[COMPLETE] Treasury of David, Volume 5 by C H Spurgeon-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

PL notes section 5

This is a bit embarrassing, I seem to have missed a misreading of "appealing" where the text has "appalling" at 13:27 in section 5. I imagine you'll want to correct that if I'm hearing it correctly now.

I've been listening again to sections 4 and 5 and plan to do the same with the following ones that I found Saturday because upon finding that they had been waiting for me since Monday, Thursday and Friday, I plunged right into proofing without stopping to reread and and meditate a bit on the psalms themselves first.
Pattymarie
GillH

Post by GillH »

No worries. I'd rather it was correct. Thanks for that.
Edited Section 5 (27:16)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/treasuryofdavid5_05_spurgeon_128kb.mp3

And take your time. I started a new job so I won't be recording so quickly for the foreseeable.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 5 is pl ok and section 8 sounded fine on one listening, but I'm going to give another listening tomorrow morning before marking it :) .
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 11 through 14 are pl ok.

What insight and how pertinent to today's realities! "We would all pray for the conversion of our worst enemy , and David would have done the same but viewing the adversaries of the Lord, and doers of iniquity, AS SUCH, AND AS INCORRIGIBLE we cannot wish them well ; on the contrary, we desire their overthrow, and destruction." (Commentary on Ps. 109, p.157, last paragraph) I'll admit that my prayers for corrupt rulers with evil intentions (or who are obtuse in the face of the consequences their actions threaten to bring) are pulled out of me past natural resistance, but I was moved to try by John MacArthur stating that it is our job to be beside bad rulers in prayer and that we never resemble Jesus as much as when we pray for our enemies. As long as they are what they are, I wish for them to be removed from office and deprived of power to do harm, but their conversion, while in or out of power, I am sure would be more pleasing to God than their destruction--it would be the destruction of the evil in them, not of their souls.
Pattymarie
GillH

Post by GillH »

Thank you!
Spurgeon is very challenging at times. Often I find he makes something that seemed confusing just blissfully clear. We certainly need to pray that they are stopped in their evil intentions. Ideally that would be by them no longer HAVING evil intentions. In any case, God is in control.
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 15 is pl ok. Somehow I don't think it was a co-incidence that this morning, while looking for my own recording of a homily of Aelfric that needed edits before uploading to LV, I came across a recording I made for myself of Isaiah 52:13 through the end of ch. 53. I decided to listen to it before reading this psalm, of which I've memorized only the first verse of from Jesus quoting it in a discourse during his last week on earth. It was astonishing to go from the narrative about the suffering servant to his reward at the right hand of the Father, and it of course called up the summary of the mission and its reward in Hebrews 12:2.
Pattymarie
GillH

Post by GillH »

As I'm recording the psalms, I'm often stunned by how pertinent certain verses or phrases are to what I'm going through right now. There are no coincidences with God. He knows. He cares. He guides. Hallelujah!
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 16 is pl ok. "Lost in wonder, love, and praise."
Pattymarie
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 17 and 18 are pl ok. I have to run right now, so I'll mark them together with section 19 in the mw later.
Pattymarie
GillH

Post by GillH »

:thumbs: