[COMPLETE][SOLO] The Listener and Other Stories by Algernon Blackwood - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: September 28th, 2022, 2:30 pm
flavo5000 wrote: September 28th, 2022, 12:54 pm What did you think of The Willows?
Your reading was great, as usual, except for the low volume hovering around 87, which makes the quieter sections of it hard to hear on my bluetooth speakers, even at top volume. I only use headphones when I PL in which case I do hear it all clearly, of course. But otherwise, I listen in my car or room bluetooth speakers broadcast into the air. Is there some reason you keep your files consistently below 89?
Well, the higher I amplify it the more likely it is to heighten the background noise as well, and the noise reduction can only do so much. I just bumped them all up to above 88db though.
As to the story, hmmm. AAA for imagination, suspense, and descriptiveness. The veil between worlds. Different ways to perceive other beings. A living swamp with personality and purpose and . . . . sacrifices. All eerily believable. I was so hoping they would find that steering paddle somewhere in the bushes, man, so they could get away. But no. So will they be the next sacrifices? It will take a lot to surpass the bull scene in New Bodies For Old (as far as sureal stories go), but this one was right up there.
This was the second time I had read The Willows and going through it again gave me even further appreciation for how expertly crafted it is. It's easy to see why H.P. Lovecraft considered it one of the best stories in all weird fiction, and it's obvious it influenced him a lot. He was all about other worlds and other gods which is central to the idea of this story. Also I gotta say, imagining that dead body at the end with the funnels in its corpse is a pretty horrifying image...

I think they did get away after the end of the story. There are a few times the narrator references things in the past like it's an event he's recounting to someone else, assuming they made it out. After the willow gods were appeased with the peasant sacrifice, it seemed like the weather died down allowing them to go down river without concern. The main reason the rudder paddle was so necessary was because of the stormy conditions and flooding.
msfry

Post by msfry »

All 4 of The Willows are PL OK now. In future, be sure to update the file length in the MW as you go along. I took care of it for these 4, and there were slight variations.
msfry

Post by msfry »

BTW, my next solo is going to be Lord Dunsany's The Charwoman's Shadow, which I found from your list is now PD. I am really looking forward to it as a fall project.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm BTW, my next solo is going to be Lord Dunsany's The Charwoman's Shadow, which I found from your list is now PD. I am really looking forward to it as a fall project.
Ah, cool. I'm surprised no one has picked that one up yet. Dunsany seems to be quite popular.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

I think my next Solo will be a crime story from Rex Stout, the author of the Nero Wolfe books.
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:37 pm
msfry wrote: September 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm BTW, my next solo is going to be Lord Dunsany's The Charwoman's Shadow, which I found from your list is now PD. I am really looking forward to it as a fall project.
Ah, cool. I'm surprised no one has picked that one up yet. Dunsany seems to be quite popular.
How do I mark it as claimed?

I recorded The King of Elfland's Daughter as a solo a few years back, and a few short stories. Dunsany is tres awesome and fairly well represented on LV. My personal fav (in case you listen to audiobooks) is Don Rodriguez: Chronicles of Shadow Valley, read by Ed Humpal. Alas he seems to have disappeared.
Last edited by msfry on September 28th, 2022, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:01 pm
I'll just mark it as adopted once you launch the project.
msfry

Post by msfry »

flavo5000 wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:17 pm
msfry wrote: September 28th, 2022, 4:01 pm

I'll just mark it as adopted once you launch the project.
Dang, I better get on that tomorrow.
EDIT. It's done.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL notes 11

7:24 4 seconds of silence
14:35 and over his turned down collar, you say torn down
27:40 have for the most moment, delete most
33:10 I think you mistakenly say "then you are dead" in Thorpe's voice.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Section 16 is up for PL now!

Overall, I think this was a better short story collection than the last Blackwood book I recorded (Ten Minute Stories).
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wow! You're finished recording. I've got some PL ing to do, and then I'll try to snag the cover. My mind is wild with ideas.

FYI, Ten Minute Stories is the first thing of yours I ever listened to, and the first cover I designed for you. I have a fond place in my heart for both. :P
It also led to my investigating Algernon, which led to me putting up the Episodes Before Thirty project.

Oh, and I have launched The Charwoman's Shadow. Just waiting for an MC to pick it up. Please mark it as taken.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:13 am Wow! You're finished recording. I've got some PL ing to do, and then I'll try to snag the cover. My mind is wild with ideas.

FYI, Ten Minute Stories is the first thing of yours I ever listened to, and the first cover I designed for you. I have a fond place in my heart for both. :P
It also led to my investigating Algernon, which led to me putting up the Episodes Before Thirty project.

Oh, and I have launched The Charwoman's Shadow. Just waiting for an MC to pick it up. Please mark it as taken.
I did. :thumbs:
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

msfry wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:56 pm PL notes 11

7:24 4 seconds of silence
14:35 and over his turned down collar, you say torn down
27:40 have for the most moment, delete most
33:10 I think you mistakenly say "then you are dead" in Thorpe's voice.
Ready for spot PL.
msfry

Post by msfry »

11 is PL OK