[Complete] Cape Coddities by Roger Livington Scaife -lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 6 uploaded, and ready for PL.
He's got a secret passion he guards in this one!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Section 6 is PL OK! :thumbs:

Aye, for all his impatience with his family for buying too much of "everything that should be thrown away, but isn’t," his own hobby really is the perfect irony!
I also like Mr. Eldritch, how you switched to a different tempo for his lines, and again that I can't be sure whether he means to be kind by saving the town hearse for his mother in law! :lol:
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 7 & 8 are up, and ready for PL. ( I had an extra hard time with this one getting the sound to sound right... I don't know what's going on... my noise reduction use to take care of it just fine, before update...having to play with it a bit and hope I'm dialing in fairly close to what it should be like.

Edit... feeling a little more comfortable with the use of a high-pass filter I hadn't used before. Under Classic Filters: Filter Type: Chebyshev Type 1. Seems to cut whatever new interference I seem to be getting that the other filters and reduction weren't able to tackle.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Interesting, I'll have to keep that one in mind for when I do the update!
I'll have any notes for you tomorrow. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Chapter 7:
"A certain type of humor, which I won't defend." Ouch, he probably means me! I'll also admit to a certain fascination with the origins of these Americanisms...
There's just one edit needed for this chapter, but I'm hoping that new filter you found will also make it sound as chapter 8 does. The reading is fun, and the audio quality is certainly usable, but if that filter's an option here, I think we'd all prefer the way it sounds.

@7:08, one of those sneaking re-takes has tailed us in! I take it you meant to cut the recording about here.
@0:58, this one's optional, but I think this word is supposed to be "elucidate", so that might be a typo.

Chapter 8:
"Fewer mosquitos than in Canada, and the less said the better." Ooh, he's getting his kicks in, alright! Just one note:
@10:35, I think we've got one word extra: "what more versatile land of summer -than- can one imagine than"

Aside from that, this recording is back to the normal, sounding very good and, as always, engagingly read. :clap:
Laur

Post by Laur »

RE: Chapter 7:
".....the audio quality is certainly usable, but if that filter's an option here, I think we'd all prefer the way it sounds. Replied yet another filter to try to even out sound with a Bass change.

FIXED @7:08, one of those sneaking re-takes has tailed us in! I take it you meant to cut the recording about here. Yep! :oops: * See addition

Pass @0:58, this one's optional, but I think this word is supposed to be "elucidate", so that might be a typo.
Note: Can't get this to match sound tone no matter how hard I try. I think wise to probably leave it the way it is - If I tried to fix it, the distraction I think would be worse.

*Additional Note: The new update makes it harder to splice in a change. The new splice is automatically put at the END of your track as a new track. When you try to insert the new piece, it generally tells you their is not enough room! Crazy! I have to land up making new mono tracks, but sometimes that doesn't work either (with the message about not enough room to insert. Finally, if all else fails, I have to manipulate the different tracts together to insert just a simple couple of words or sentence. What a pain!! Definitely is a time burner, and one thing I HATE about the update. Hence the forgotten tail..... uugghhhh. Sorry about that.
Laur

Post by Laur »

redrun wrote: September 29th, 2022, 7:58 am

Chapter 8:
"Fewer mosquitos than in Canada, and the less said the better." Ooh, he's getting his kicks in, alright! Just one note:
@10:35, I think we've got one word extra: "what more versatile land of summer -than- can one imagine than"

Aside from that, this recording is back to the normal, sounding very good and, as always, engagingly read. :clap:
Hummm... I don't see where the error is on this one redrun. The text reads: "What more versatile land of summer, then, can one imagine than the seashore with an almost permanent breeze."
I've listened to my recording multiple times, and it reads, just as text...although I do admit, the text is a bit weird to the ear.
So Chapter 8 stands as is please. No changes were made.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Ah, I should look more closely next time! Sorry to have troubled you when I should have seen that in the text.

That makes perfect sense, I'll mark both PL OK! :thumbs:

For Audacity, here's something that may help: If you go to Edit > Preferences > Recording, there should be a check box for "Record on a new track".
When that box is checked, it should start recording wherever your play-selector is - so you can click at the beginning of the bit you want to overwrite, then record the line, and it should end up as a separate track but at the same point in time.

Edit: You can also click and drag to select the bit you'd like to record over, and it will record in a new track from the beginning of your selection, then automatically stop at the end of your selection. There certainly ought to be room for a replacement that's the same size! But again, that's only with the "Record on a new track" box checked.
Edit again: After it automatically stops recording, you will probably still have to hit the Stop button before you can move on to editing. Why? Beats me.

If that helps at all, we should put it up somewhere with your other filter tip. Maybe start an "Adjusting to Audacity 3.2" thread. :hmm:

Experienced LibriVox listeners everywhere will listen to tin-can recordings and say, "I bet this was from the Audacity 3.2 update."
Laur

Post by Laur »

redrun wrote: September 29th, 2022, 1:00 pm

For Audacity, here's something that may help: If you go to Edit > Preferences > Recording, there should be a check box for "Record on a new track".
When that box is checked, it should start recording wherever your play-selector is - so you can click at the beginning of the bit you want to overwrite, then record the line, and it should end up as a separate track but at the same point in time.

Edit: You can also click and drag to select the bit you'd like to record over, and it will record in a new track from the beginning of your selection, then automatically stop at the end of your selection. There certainly ought to be room for a replacement that's the same size! But again, that's only with the "Record on a new track" box checked.
Edit again: After it automatically stops recording, you will probably still have to hit the Stop button before you can move on to editing. Why? Beats me.

If that helps at all, we should put it up somewhere with your other filter tip. Maybe start an "Adjusting to Audacity 3.2" thread. :hmm:

Experienced LibriVox listeners everywhere will listen to tin-can recordings and say, "I bet this was from the Audacity 3.2 update."
Love all the tips and welcome them anytime. Thanks. :thumbs:
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 9 uploaded, and ready for PL.
RE: The perils of picnics!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

A beach picnic advertisement:

Sandwiches!
It's all in the name!
8-)

Chapter 9, PL OK! :thumbs:

I did notice a part that was spliced in, did that earlier tip work for you?
Laur

Post by Laur »

redrun wrote: September 29th, 2022, 10:24 pm A beach picnic advertisement:

Sandwiches!
It's all in the name!
8-)

Chapter 9, PL OK! :thumbs:

I did notice a part that was spliced in, did that earlier tip work for you?
Yeah, on the update, it asked if you wanted to bring in the former settings, I did, but only part of them came, some did not. Apparently my box got unchecked - at least that’s ok now. Still having a heck of a time matching sound….try to catch it on 1st run through in same session, and usually all is well with voice match, BUT if I miss it…well dang (I hate that the splice is noticeable - I try, but usually after several attempts, still land up with that subtle tone diff. - My audio wand seems to be broken :wink:
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 10 & 11 at your convenience. :)
Laur

Post by Laur »

Got to take off for a bit, but hope to get the rest of chapters all recorded today and have the book finished.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I was gonna say, we're just blazing through, here! I've got chapter 10 playing as I go about my other tasks, and the rest will either be this evening or tomorrow. :D