[COMPLETE]Two On the Trail, by E.E. Cowper - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur »

Two On the Trail, by E.E. (Edith Elise) Cowper (1859 - 1933)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/two-on-the-trail-by-edith-elise-cowper/

A young family's story of pioneer life consisting of a teenage daughter (Nell) and her younger brother David, aka "Da", along with their dog (Robin), have unique adventures in the heart of the frontier wilderness, where they are thrust into mysterious and dangerous situations of survival amongst Canada's snows.
The Story starts off as the children have been left alone in a log cabin presuming that their widowed father will return in 4 days. Eight days has past with no sign of him. What has really happened to their father and can these children survive on their own in their quest to find him, unscathed by the hardships they must face, all the while being pursued by a dangerous man and enduring the harsh Canadian wilderness?(Summary by Laurie Banza)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40663

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 9O0RsLA8
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cowpe (E.E. (Edith Elise) Cowper)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1922
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Adventure, Canada, Indians, Pioneers, Frontier, Snows, Camp

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter# of Two On the Trail. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Two On the Trail, by E.E. Cowper. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter# of Two On the Trail, by E.E. Cowper. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter#." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Two On the Trail, by E.E. Cowper."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: twoonthetrail_##_cowper_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. twoonthetrail_01_cowper_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Laur on October 8th, 2022, 8:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Laurie! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if someone jumps in as DPL, unless you have someone in mind for the job.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Laur

Post by Laur »

Thank you, Thank you Ann! :clap: :clap: PM’d a prospective DPL…will wait for answer.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

That'd be me, and count me in!
I've had a recent introduction to Canadian frontier fiction, and found it quite different from the US stories I'm used to. This left me curious just how wide-spread that difference is. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Laur

Post by Laur »

Hot dog! Ann, please add Redrun as my DPL. The gang is all here now! :clap: :clap:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you, Redrun! You now have access to the MW!

Well, since the band is officially back together, we are off to Going Solo! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Laur

Post by Laur »

And we're off! Chapter 1 uploaded and ready for PL
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Excellent! I'll have a listen in the morning. :D
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Whew, I can feel the tension building. :shock:
Such a lonely life for children, as beautiful as the place sounds, and I sure hope that's the father coming home! Perhaps, though, I can take the book's title to mean that it's not. That's too bad, as I'm starting to like the very competent red-headed Nell already!

I have only one thing that probably needs fixing, and two quick but optional editing notes in case you want them.
At the end, the silence is shorter than usual, at a little under 4.5 seconds. Probably optional, but you could even copy/paste from the existing room silence just to pad this out to 5.
At 8:23, there are a pair of computer mouse clicks that you might just be able to zoom in and snip, but this is entirely optional. If you want me to skip mentioning these in future, just let me know!
At 5:12, in "he had saved a lot and hidden it in or, or near, the log house", I hear "hidden in it or near"
Laur

Post by Laur »

Thank you Redrun...no need to change your DPL'ing way. If it doesn't sound right to you, it won't sound right to this potential listener. I'll get the aforementioned(s) fixed soon.
Laur

Post by Laur »

Fixes made to chapter 1, ready for Spot PL.
Side Note: It seems ever since Audacity did their update, it has made some tuning much more sharp. In some cases, the same settings seem not to follow through with the same results as before. Almost on every single chapter I have recorded since the update, my voice is stronger, louder, and you can definitely pick up on extra clicks ... This is very strange, but I have to comment I liked it better before Audacity's update.
Perhaps, it will just take a while to get use to....
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

The fixes are in, and well patched. Chapter 1, PL OK! :thumbs:
That's interesting, and I'll have to watch for that myself! I wonder what they would have changed that could do that... Higher fidelity recording, yay? :?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Laur wrote: September 28th, 2022, 1:06 pm Fixes made to chapter 1, ready for Spot PL.
Side Note: It seems ever since Audacity did their update, it has made some tuning much more sharp. In some cases, the same settings seem not to follow through with the same results as before. Almost on every single chapter I have recorded since the update, my voice is stronger, louder, and you can definitely pick up on extra clicks ... This is very strange, but I have to comment I liked it better before Audacity's update.
Yes, this is definitely good to know! I was planning to download the latest version after my last solo is cataloged. But, now I don't think I will upgrade at this point.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Laur

Post by Laur »

icequeen wrote: September 28th, 2022, 7:32 pm
Laur wrote: September 28th, 2022, 1:06 pm Fixes made to chapter 1, ready for Spot PL.
Yes, this is definitely good to know! I was planning to download the latest version after my last solo is cataloged. But, now I don't think I will upgrade at this point.
Ann: IMHO, I would definitely wait if you are already into a solo project before changing over to the update. Lots of subtle differences there, and perhaps the enhancements might be good for some use, but overall, not especially important to a audio book recorder. (Perhaps music or podcasts.)

I have found that several of the changes require a lot more time i.e. if you need to splice (insert a fix)... yeah, totally not as easy as it was (at least in the changes I have had to make... a simple word might not be able to be reinserted just because it says there is not enough room... what??? Yeah, I know, how could there not be enough room...there always was before. And putting in complete phrases or paragraphs can be a nightmare. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't... if it doesn't , then it requires manipulations of the tracts. Oh, and then there's the "talking into a cup sound"... trying to figure out the right filter....
Only giving you food for thought, but as a person who has worked in the software biz in the past, I look for another update from Audacity soon to fix some issues (I've only named a couple)...at least I'm hoping... 🙏