[COMPLETE][Solo]Banking Under Difficulties, by George Ogilvy Preshaw - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Banking Under Difficulties, by George Ogilvy Preshaw (1839 - 1890)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/banking-under-difficulties-by-george-ogilvy-preshaw/
An account of life on the Goldfields of Victoria, New South Wales, and New Zealand by a Bank Official.

At the present time—1888—it may appear almost impossible to many that a bank agency should have been in a tent; that bankers should have, often on foot, gone long distances to purchase gold from small storekeepers, the said gold often being carried by them on their backs, till the security (?) of some rough bush shanty had been reached; that instead of cedar counters, massive ledgers, impregnable strong-rooms, and all the appliances of modern banking, a gin case to write on, a note-book or piece of wrapping paper, and a saddle-bag should then have been considered quite the correct thing; yet that such was often the case is a fact. (Summary by George Ogilvy Preshaw)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/banking-under-difficulties/page/n1/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Banking Under Difficulties.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Banking Under Difficulties, by George Ogilvy Preshaw.
Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Banking Under Difficulties, by George Ogilvy Preshaw.
This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Banking Under Difficulties, by George Ogilvy Preshaw."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bankingunderdifficulties_##_preshaw_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bankingunderdifficulties_01_preshaw_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Beeswaxcandle on September 16th, 2022, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You'll need a text link that works :D To the Archive details page. - Anne
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

annise wrote: September 11th, 2022, 5:12 am You'll need a text link that works :D To the Archive details page. - Anne
Fixed, with thanks. I've also fixed the WikiCommons page that I grabbed the link from.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I can MC this, sounds like an interesting account. Gonna create your MW in a minute.

Do you already have a DPL in mind ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

so MW is ready to be filled in. If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Kitty wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:02 am I can MC this, sounds like an interesting account. Gonna create your MW in a minute.

Do you already have a DPL in mind ?

Sonia
Thanks. No, I don't have a DPL in mind. Just hoping someone will turn up once I start recording in the weekend.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:38 pmNo, I don't have a DPL in mind. Just hoping someone will turn up once I start recording in the weekend.
ok let us wait one more day here to see if we find a willing pair of ears. I see the MW is already filled out :thumbs:

Sonia
ostrichreads

Post by ostrichreads »

I'll take DPL for you. Seems like an interesting account of the old west.
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

ostrichreads wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:31 pm I'll take DPL for you. Seems like an interesting account of the old west.
Thank you. Much appreciated. I'll have the first sections posted across the coming weekend (my time UTC+12).
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ostrichreads wrote: September 14th, 2022, 6:31 pmI'll take DPL for you. Seems like an interesting account of the old west.
excellent, thank you for your interest and help. I'll give you access to the MW as DPL. I see it's not your first DPL job, so you know your way around.

And that means we can move to Going Solo.

Have fun you two.

Sonia
ostrichreads

Post by ostrichreads »

Preface, Ch1, and Ch3 are PL OK! You sound great!

Ch2
Churning sound in beginning of recording where silence should be
8:38 Significant hesitation makes it sound like a word got swallowed here
14:34 A click is heard where a silence should be at the end of the recording
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Chapter 2 replaced.

Chapters 5 to 8 are uploaded
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Chapters 9 to 13 are now uploaded.
ostrichreads

Post by ostrichreads »

Ch 4
12:46
"but at half a mile's distance" just a flub you missed editing out here before correcting yourself

CH 2 is now PL OK!