[complete] Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I altered the summary of the book. It should now read:
This lively book follows the adventures of mountain man Joe Meek, from his joining the Rocky Mountain Fur Company trapping expedition in the year 1829 at the young age of 18, through his retirement from public life after serving as Marshall of Oregon Territory. Meek had close connections with many famous people of the era, such as Kit Carson, William and Milton Sublette, Jedediah Smith, Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, Dr. John McLaughlin, Oregon’s Governor Lane, and President James Polk. The author’s information came directly from interviews with Joe himself. She adds to his stories by recounting the surrounding events of the times along the way, providing an interesting way to pick up much information about the history of the Rocky Mountain region and the Oregon Territory. Meek was a tremendously colorful personality who traveled all over the wild west, and had numberless adventures. His endurance of hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and danger was legendary. Whether he was encountering bears, Indians, fellow trappers, missionaries, California gold miners, and even the president of the United States, he tells the story with humor and aplomb. Meek was always lively, often drunk, sometimes heroic, and certainly no saint.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

It is wonderful, Carol. I updated it for the catalog.
Thanks!
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Carol,
Chapter 35 is PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box. :D :clap:

Also, I really like your new summary. Written by a true word-smith. Also, upon reading it, I realized that the name of the author is Frances, not Francis. All this time I had assumed it was a man. How sexist of me. :oops:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Another great reading. But there is one spot that you need to fix up:

3:27 However that may be, our hero felt himself to be quite rich, and proceeded to get rid of his superfluity, as will hereafter be seen, You left off : and proceeded to get rid of his superfluity, as will hereafter be seen

A couple of interesting things. I grew up in the Los Angeles area until 1955, and the name San Pedro was pronounced San Pea-dro. And the Spanish pronunciation would be San Pay-dro. Just an observation from an old guy.

And I thought your use of the word "dash" in the phrase "By dash....." was very creative!! :clap:

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

I fixed the problem in chapter 36.
You are a real pro in proof-listening. It is true, as a non-Californian, my pronunciation of San Pedro is kind of loose, but I don't think I want to try fixing it.
Thanks for all the careful listening.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: August 24th, 2022, 7:45 pm I fixed the problem in chapter 36.
You are a real pro in proof-listening. It is true, as a non-Californian, my pronunciation of San Pedro is kind of loose, but I don't think I want to try fixing it.
Thanks for all the careful listening.
Your correction, as usual, was seamless. Chapter 36 is PLOK :thumbs:

SO WE ARE ALL DONE. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carol, first of all thank you so much for the kind words. I try to do my best. I have listened to hundreds and hundreds of first, "Books on Tape" (back when you had to 'rent' to tapes and they were sent to you through the mail [early 1970's]), then "Books on CD", so I know how important it is to the story for all the words to be correct. That is also why I appreciate any corrections give to me by my DPL's.

I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to your rendition of this very entertaining and educational book. If you ever need another DPL, I would love to do it if you will have me. :D

Stay safe and have fun,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

So, Amy, I guess the next part is up to you.
Wayne
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Great! I'll start cataloging. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Joe Meek sure turned out to be an interesting character. Reading about his life made me wish I could go find some of his old stomping grounds, especially the rendezvous locations in Wyoming. I was able to go to Champoeg, where he played a significant part in setting up a provisional government in Oregon, and also his grave near Hillsboro. I think I will read some more books about the history of the west, especially if I can find some well-written, lively ones. I'd be glad to have you proof-listen. How can that be arranged?
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Amy, there maybe should be some more keywords added for helping people who are searching. Can you please remind me how to do that?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Carol,
I think you can only do it when you fill out the template, but I can add them now. What would you like?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

The system is updating the project for the catalog slowly. I will let it continue over night and finish it as soon as I wake up tomorrow.
Have a good night!
-Amy
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

As far as asking me to DPL, when you find a book you like, just sent me a PM (Private Message) telling me about it and I will go on the forum and 'ask' is I can DPL it, and hopefully you will say yes. I'm looking forward to it.

Wayne
Wayne
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

carolpelster wrote: April 15th, 2022, 6:06 pm Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor (1826 - 1902)
This lively book follows the adventures of mountain man Joe Meek, from his joining the Rocky Mountain Fur Company trapping expedition in the year 1829 at the young age of 18, through his retirement from public life after serving as Marshall of Oregon Territory. Meek had close connections with many famous people of the era, such as Kit Carson, William and Milton Sublette, Jedediah Smith, Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, Dr. John McLaughlin, Oregon’s Governor Lane, and President James Polk. The author’s information came directly from interviews with Joe himself. She adds to his stories by recounting the surrounding events of the times along the way, providing an interesting way to pick up much information about the history of the Rocky Mountain region and the Oregon Territory. Meek was a tremendously colorful personality who traveled all over the wild west, and had numberless adventures. His endurance of hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and danger was legendary. Whether he was encountering bears, Indians, fellow trappers, missionaries, California gold miners, and even the president of the United States, he tells the story with humor and aplomb. Meek was always lively, often drunk, sometimes heroic, and certainly no saint.(Summary by Carol Pelster)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/eleven-years-in-the-rocky-mountains-and-a-life-on-the-frontier-by-frances-a-fuller-victor/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39465

Target completion date: 2022-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: mountain men, oregon history, joe meek, the river of the west, fur trapping

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: elevenyearsr_##_victor_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. elevenyears_01_victor_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/eleven-years-in-the-rocky-mountains-and-a-life-on-the-frontier-by-frances-a-fuller-victor/

Congratulations! :clap: