Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapters 20 and 21 are PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

Sections 31, 32, and 33 are added.
Joe Meek was right in the middle of a lot of the most interesting parts of Oregon history.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Great reading again. And as I have said before, it is great that someone familiar with the area is doing this so that certain names, such as Couch and Champoeg and others are correctly pronounced :D. Also, to find out who certain places, such as Payette, Idaho, are named after.

Chapters 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 are all PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box.

As you said, he really was right in the middle of the whole thing. Very interesting.

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

A couple more sections added. I fixed the bad spot in chapter 17. Can you please listen again to the questionable part of Chapter 15? It sounds correct to me.
Thanks.

There is a Joe Meek historical marker near the Hillsboro airport. It says:
This marks the land claim of Joseph L. Meek, famed and unlettered "mountain man," who arrived in 1840 after driving from Fort Hall to Walla Walla in the first wagon on that part of the Oregon Trail. He was a founder of the Provisional Government; served as the first sheriff, the first marshal, the first census taker. He carried word of the Whitman Massacre to Washington D.C., where President Polk, whose wife was his cousin, received him. Named marshal under the New Territorial Government, he accompanied Governor Lane to Oregon. His final Indian fighting was as a soldier in the Yakima War, 1855-56. He died here in 1875. A neighbor called him: "very popular and as brave as Julius Caesar".
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

carolpelster wrote: July 7th, 2022, 9:42 am A couple more sections added. I fixed the bad spot in chapter 17. Can you please listen again to the questionable part of Chapter 15? It sounds correct to me.
Thanks.

There is a Joe Meek historical marker near the Hillsboro airport. It says:
This marks the land claim of Joseph L. Meek, famed and unlettered "mountain man," who arrived in 1840 after driving from Fort Hall to Walla Walla in the first wagon on that part of the Oregon Trail. He was a founder of the Provisional Government; served as the first sheriff, the first marshal, the first census taker. He carried word of the Whitman Massacre to Washington D.C., where President Polk, whose wife was his cousin, received him. Named marshal under the New Territorial Government, he accompanied Governor Lane to Oregon. His final Indian fighting was as a soldier in the Yakima War, 1855-56. He died here in 1875. A neighbor called him: "very popular and as brave as Julius Caesar".
Chapter 15: The first time I relistened to it, it sounded like "rose", but the next two times it was "rays", so 15 is PLOK :thumbs:

Chapter 17: Correction seamless (of course), so 17 is PLOK :thumbs:

Chapters 27 and 28 are PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box :clap:

Quite the story of Rector and Barlow. Rector seems to have faded off into History, but Barlow, the old, weak man was the one that History remembers :D
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapter 29 PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I am soooo sorry. I have been out of town for the past couple of weeks for a special project for a company that asked for my assistance (even though I am retired and have been for quite a while). I was planning on starting to catch up with LV today, but got another phone call, and I am going to be out of town till probably Friday of next week. All of this unexpected, but......

I will, I promise, get back to his as soon as I can!!!!

Sorry,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Fortunately I found a little time tonight to do some work.

Chapter 30 is PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box

In Chapter 31 there was one phrase left out, probably during editing:

14:05 Whether Mr. McBean would have allowed this man to perish is uncertain: but certain it is that some base or cowardly motive made him exceedingly cruel to both Hall and Osborne. You left out Whether Mr. McBean would have allowed this man to perish is uncertain

Interesting history, but I am waiting to get back to Joe. :D

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Another great and very listenable rendition.

One small error in Section 32:

16:14 None escaped who had not to mourn  You added ‘had’ between ‘None’ and ‘escaped’. Not a huge difference, just a small one, but your call.

Wayne
Last edited by Kalamareader on August 10th, 2022, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Carol,

I am sooooo sorry that it has taken me this long, but Chapters 33, 34 and 37 are all PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box!

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapter 38 is PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

There are still backwoods places in Oregon with very little internet, and that is where I have been. But I found a place with wi-fi, and will try to finish up this project. I am uploading the corrections now. I would like to re-write the book summary in the next few days.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chapters 31 and 32 PLOK :thumbs:

I am sorry, but it will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can get to your last two Chapters.

Wayne
Wayne
carolpelster

Post by carolpelster »

carolpelster wrote: April 15th, 2022, 6:06 pm Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor (1826 - 1902)
This lively book follows the adventures of mountain man Joe Meek, from his joining the Rocky Mountain Fur Company trapping expedition in the year 1829 at the young age of 18, through his retirement from public life after serving as Marshall of Oregon Territory. Meek had close connections with many famous people of the era, such as Kit Carson, William and Milton Sublette, Jedediah Smith, Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, Dr. John McLaughlin, Oregon’s Governor Lane, and President James Polk. The author’s information came directly from interviews with Joe himself. She adds to his stories by recounting the surrounding events of the times along the way, providing an interesting way to pick up much information about the history of the Rocky Mountain region and the Oregon Territory. Meek was a tremendously colorful personality who traveled all over the wild west, and had numberless adventures. His endurance of hunger, thirst, exhaustion, and danger was legendary. Whether he was encountering bears, Indians, fellow trappers, missionaries, California gold miners, and even the president of the United States, he tells the story with humor and aplomb. Meek was always lively, often drunk, sometimes heroic, and certainly no saint.
(Summary by Carol Pelster)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/39465

Target completion date: 2022-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: mountain men, oregon history, joe meek, the river of the west, fur trapping

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Eleven years in the Rocky Mountains and a life on the frontier, by Frances A. Victor."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: elevenyearsr_##_victor_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. elevenyears_01_victor_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.