[solo]The SKYLARK of VALERON by E.,E.Smith - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The SKYLARK of VALERON, by E. E. Smith (1890 - 1965)

This exciting volume can now be found in our catalog at https://librivox.org/the-skylark-of-valeron-by-e-e-smith/

The Skylark of Valeron is the conclusion to the classic Skylark trilogy by E.E. ‘Doc’ Smith. DuQuesne has survived to become Master of the Earth, but the Seatons and the Cranes must run for their lives into the fourth dimension— from which none have ever returned. This 'book' was published in seven installments in Astounding Stories from 1934 to 1935. I did not read the stories in the magazine, I'm not that old, but did enjoy these wonderful stories that stretched my imagination as a teenager and am excited that I get to record this one now.
(Summary by phil chenevert)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68609

Target completion date: 2023-12-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Our DPL is the amazing and inconceivable stupendous Kalamareader

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The SKYLARK of VALERON. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The SKYLARK of VALERON, by E. E. Smith. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The SKYLARK of VALERON, by E. E. Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The SKYLARK of VALERON, by E. E. Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: skylarkofvaleron_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. skylarkofvaleron_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenevert

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Note to any prospective DPL. I won't be starting this right away, maybe not until September 2022. But don't let that stop you from reading this nifty pulp SF story. :D

EDIT: well that proved to be completely wrong. !! Ha.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi Phil,

How can I miss sharing another intergalactic adventure with you?
I will DPL if you will have me. The September start date (not to be confused with stardate) works well for me.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 27th, 2022, 4:33 pm Hi Phil,

I will DPL if you will have me. The September start date (not to be confused with stardate) works well for me.

Wayne
Welcome aboard the Skylark. We will blast off shortly but must first bring aboard our 3 year supply of gumbo and rice. Adventure awaits! :shock:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: July 27th, 2022, 5:20 pm
Kalamareader wrote: July 27th, 2022, 4:33 pm Hi Phil,

Wayne
Welcome aboard the Skylark. We will blast off shortly but must first bring aboard our 3 year supply of gumbo and rice. Adventure awaits! :shock:
And don't forget the Weetabix. :lol: :lol:
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Well, things have been unexpectedly cleared away and I am able to start recording this rip-roaring book without further delay. :D
Oh, and I got the Weetabix. None available locally but had it shipped in.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well Phil,

I listened to the Prologue and found four things you might want to look at:

3:02 and they did marry them, afterward, too a repeat of afterward

3:14 that the First of Energy has always had so much trouble with I heard had, slight difference here in context.

8:53 and the engineer reported over the visirecorder You said visicorder. Just after 9:05, you again said visicorder. So far you have been consistent, but not exactly what is in the text. Your call.

However, it seem that no MC has picked this up yet or are you going to do it yourself (if that is legal). So I didn't, of course, send this up.

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: August 6th, 2022, 3:42 pm Well Phil,

3:14 that the First of Energy has always had so much trouble with I heard had, slight difference here in context.

8:53 and the engineer reported over the visirecorder You said visicorder. Just after 9:05, you again said visicorder. So far you have been consistent, but not exactly what is in the text. Your call.

However, it seem that no MC has picked this up yet or are you going to do it yourself (if that is legal). So I didn't, of course, send this up.

Wayne
Thank you Wayne, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need. Your ears are most excellent. I will be the mc for this project and yes it is legal. ha. I will fix these things, especially the visirecorders and get back to you. :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

OK, fixes made and uploaded. Hopefully i got them all. :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL. The adventure continues .....
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: August 6th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Kalamareader wrote: August 6th, 2022, 3:42 pm Well Phil,

Wayne
Thank you Wayne, that's exactly the kind of feedback I need. Your ears are most excellent. I will be the mc for this project and yes it is legal. ha. I will fix these things, especially the visirecorders and get back to you. :thumbs:
Your corrections were seamless, however in the corrections at 3:14 and 9:05 there is a kind of whining sound in the background. It does not appear in the other two corrections. Listen and see what you think.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Phil,

Here are a couple of things you might want to look at in Chapter 1:

14:39.5 for to such a mentality as must necessarily be possessed by the chief engineer of a first-line vessel of the Fenachrone, You said of. In an archaic context, that is probably passable, but today, probably "by" works better, but your call.

15:41 it almost fools me!" You said fooled. Your call.

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

section 00
Your corrections were seamless, however in the corrections at 3:14 and 9:05 there is a kind of whining sound in the background. It does not appear in the other two corrections. Listen and see what you think.
Wayne
Wayne, I cannot hear the whining sound, probably my poor hearing. So I will just leave it there, whining away. Let's pretend it's the super space drive.

Section 01 -
14:39.5 for to such a mentality as must necessarily be possessed by the chief engineer of a first-line vessel of the Fenachrone, You said of. In an archaic context, that is probably passable, but today, probably "by" works better, but your call.

15:41 it almost fools me!" You said fooled. Your call.
I am leaving those as they are. They don't seem to disrupt the flow or change the meaning. And Now, onward to INFINITY! Image :D
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Amazing with these minds can come up with. Writing fiction of any kind is not in my area of expertise or even slight ability. I have a grand-daughter who is amazingly creative. She can sit and tell here younger brothers and sisters a tale right off the top of her head and keep then engrossed for a half an hour and longer. But she is majoring in Wildlife Management. This fall she will be a returning Senior in college. Oh, but the way, she is 17.

Any way, bragging over, as usual I enjoyed your narration of this interesting story. I found a very few things you may or may not want to correct:

At about 14:14 you said a couple of times “Anarak” (another name for a parka) instead of arenak. I don't have any idea if this is important or if this material comes up again. Again, your call.

20:26 I have learned that their system is ample You said simple

21:11.5 Loring rebuilt the power plant of the short-ranging scout patrol You said vessel

22:17 You look kind of peaked." "Peaked is good—I'm just about bushed There are two pronunciations of this word. I think in this context, pē′kĭd (Sickly; not robust) would be the one to use.

Good job,

Wayne
Last edited by Kalamareader on August 15th, 2022, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: August 12th, 2022, 6:47 pm Amazing with these minds can come up with. Writing fiction of any kind is not in my area of expertise or even slight ability. I have a grand-daughter who is amazingly creative. She can sit and tell here younger brothers and sisters a tale right off the top of her head and keep then engrossed for a half an hour and longer. But she is majoring in Wildlife Management. This fall she will be a returning Senior in college. Oh, but the way, she is 17.

Any way, bragging over, as usual I enjoyed your narration of this interesting story. I found a very few things you may or may not want to correct:

At about 14:14 you said a couple of times “Anarak” (another name for a parka) instead of arenak. I don't have any idea of this is important or if this material comes up again. Again, your call.

20:26 I have learned that their system is ample You said simple

21:11.5 Loring rebuilt the power plant of the short-ranging scout patrol You said vessel

22:17 You look kind of peaked." "Peaked is good—I'm just about bushed There are two pronunciations of this word. I think in this context, pē′kĭd (Sickly; not robust) would be the one to use.
Good job, Wayne
ANARAK - Oh yes, it is definitely a recurring word so thanks for noticing my sloppy pronunciation. Fixed.

20:26 it now says 'ample'

22:17 'Peaked'. fixed; it is now 'peak-ed'. Most interesting! You have piqued (not 'peaked') my curiosity about your training and proclivities. You obviously know a lot about the English language and the nuances and shades of meaning in words including archaic ones. I am impressed! Please share with me your training and/or how you know so much. none of my business but I'm a curious old guy and you are obviously a knowledgeable one. Are you a Distributed Proofreader? If not, you should be. Now that word 'peaked': I have used that word to mean 'tired' 'worn out' all my life and just realized that I say it both ways, one syllable or two depending on some unknown internal cues in the context or text. I assumed it was a Southern USA cadence thing like 'a-goin' and the like. But you say it isn't. Hmmmm. The etymology i found online is also interesting, thinking it comes from a sick or worn out person having thin, peaked nose and bones. Anyway, thank you for catching this and enlarging my vocabulary.

Your grand daughter is 17 and a returning Senior in college. Wow! 17? That is one very smart and imaginative girl. VERY smart. At 17 I remember being completely befuddled with 3rd year Latin and more interested in making fart jokes with my buddies than studies. I also cannot write and have no inclination to do so. Just can't plan that far ahead.

One last thing, I do like weird word origins, and have been doing short little videos of them for about 4 months now. It brings joy to my life and want to share with you since you seem like a kindred soul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PatwSR4P-4E I don't know how to link them together but since they are done for my amusement it makes no difference.