[COMPLETE][SOLO][Biography]The Private and Public Life of Abraham Lincoln by Orville J. Victor - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kalamareader wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 8:40 pm Here are some notes for Chapter 9:

4:36 General Beauregard, I heard Beaugard. Since he is an historic person, his name should probably be pronounced correctly: Bow’ ra gard

4:57 Beauregard again

6:02 The patiently-proffered olive-branch of the North I heard profered The correct pronunciation is ‘Prof (like short for professor) erd

10:25 blockading the ports of seceded States. Succeeded again.

11:20 meaning the rebel rag I heard flag. In this context, I think it is important because of the pejorative use of ‘rag’ rather than ‘flag’.

12:02 just as in the case of her seceded sisters ; Succeeded again
Your corrections are seamless. Chapter 9 is PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Kalamareader wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 9:16 pm
Kalamareader wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:11 pm I got done a little early tonight, so I listened to your recording. You will note that on many of the notes I have put 'about' because I don't have Audacity to work with and without it it is hard to get the exact time. But I think they are close.

Another good reading, but some corrections, many of which are where you put in 'succession' for secession.

About 14:00 on the first day of its session I heard secession.

15:58 hostile to the secession movement. I heard succession

About 16:40 hostile to the secession movement. I heard succession

About 17:35 of these seceding States I heard succeeding

About 17:40 not to pass any act of secession I heard succession

About 20:47 the boiling elements of secession. I heard succession

About 22:10 the pro-slavery extensionists would have, even at the hazard of war. I heard exclusionists.

About 33:27 no accident or 'row' occurred. You pronounced “row” to rhyme with ‘know’. In this context is should rhyme with ‘now’, meaning a fight or something like that.

About 34:57 and anarchy of secession I heard succession

I know, too many 's' words that sound a lot alike. :shock:

Wayne

Brandon,

Your corrections were great. However, when checking them, I found a few more that should be corrected:

25.5 Secession you said succession

4:54 a just cause for secession Succession

6:27.5 before the spirit of secession in South Carolina Succession

13:09 The Legislature of South Carolina initiated the secession movement, when, Succession

13:33.5 the determination of South Carolina to secede succeed

14:37 the first State to pass an ordinance of secession. Succession

14:43.5 secession was not the mushroom growth of an hour or a night, Succession

15:01 prove clearly that the whole secession movement was in the hands of a few conspirators Succession

15:29 it was decided that each Southern State should secede from the Union as soon as possible Succeed

15:35 that a convention of seceding States should be held at Montgomery, Alabama, Succeeding

16:41 Mississippi passed an ordinance of secession, Succession

I 'think' these are all of them. Sorry I didn't catch them before, but the listening conditions were not ideal. :(

Wayne

Thanks for going back to double-check this! Here's an updated version of chapter 8 (49:48):

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/privateandpubliclife_08_victor_128kb.mp3
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Section 11 is also ready for PL (16:36). Only one more chapter to go after this one!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/privateandpubliclife_11_victor_128kb.mp3
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BrandonB wrote: August 6th, 2022, 12:13 pm Thanks for going back to double-check this! Here's an updated version of chapter 8 (49:48):
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/privateandpubliclife_08_victor_128kb.mp3
Again, your corrections are seamless. Chapter 8 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BrandonB wrote: July 30th, 2022, 11:00 am And Chapter 10 is also ready for PL (19:02):

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/privateandpubliclife_10_victor_128kb.mp3
Section 10 is PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BrandonB wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:01 pm Section 11 is also ready for PL (16:36). Only one more chapter to go after this one!

Another interesting and well read Chapter.

A few things to look at:

3:56.5 and appealed to his fellow-citizens in most earnest language, You added 'then' between 'and' and 'appealed' This is really a minor thing, the antecedent to this phrase is “In this proclamation….”. The word 'then', kind of gives the impression that it happened later, rather than in his 'proclamation'. This is really your call.

7:27 was in tho same spirit in which General Beauregard, again.

7:56 This was the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus. If the way you pronounced it is the way it is said in your neck of the woods, that is fine, but usually habeas corpus is pronounced hay-be-ess core-pus. Your call.

8:41 That the writ habeas corpus Same as above.

Wayne

8:56 or other place of confinement, You said in

9:20 to those who were not ashamed to aid and abet the enemies of their country by voice and pen. I heard abat
Wayne
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Kalamareader wrote: August 10th, 2022, 9:19 pm
BrandonB wrote: August 9th, 2022, 7:01 pm Section 11 is also ready for PL (16:36). Only one more chapter to go after this one!

Another interesting and well read Chapter.

A few things to look at:

3:56.5 and appealed to his fellow-citizens in most earnest language, You added 'then' between 'and' and 'appealed' This is really a minor thing, the antecedent to this phrase is “In this proclamation….”. The word 'then', kind of gives the impression that it happened later, rather than in his 'proclamation'. This is really your call.

7:27 was in tho same spirit in which General Beauregard, again.

7:56 This was the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus. If the way you pronounced it is the way it is said in your neck of the woods, that is fine, but usually habeas corpus is pronounced hay-be-ess core-pus. Your call.

8:41 That the writ habeas corpus Same as above.

Wayne

8:56 or other place of confinement, You said in

9:20 to those who were not ashamed to aid and abet the enemies of their country by voice and pen. I heard abat
Excellent - a new version has been uploaded (16:36):

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Outstanding corrections. Chapter 11 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

And the final section is ready (21:48). I'm definitely a bit sad to be done, but also excited to have the project finalized! I'll look forward to your feedback as always.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/privateandpubliclife_12_victor_128kb.mp3
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

It may be Wednesday before I can get to it. Work beckons Monday and Tuesday. :(
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Another good reading. A few things you may want to look at:

:48.5   seemed an unpropitious opening of the new year. “ unpropitious is 'usually' prounced :ŭn′prə-pĭsh′əs, with the 't' silent. Again, if this is the way it is regionally pronounced in your area, then, of course, you can leave it. Your call.

:53 The rebels next invaded Maryland and Pennsylvania, again you said Penn-sla-vania.

3:13 that from these honored dead we take increased devotion You added the word 'may' between 'we' and 'take'.

9:59.5 The following exceptions only were made You said exemptions

10:04.5 The persons excepted Exemptions again.

One small comment. One thing that many people don't realize is that all the 'speeches' etc. of Lincoln's we read, he wrote, as opposed to the Presidents of our day who have teams of speech writers who still can't match the work of Lincoln's own mind. Many years ago I read a book "Lincoln in His Own Words". I was a collection of many of his writings and showed how eloquent this back-woods Kentucky 'hick' became. A great read.

Wayne
Wayne
BrandonB

Post by BrandonB »

Kalamareader wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 8:45 pm Another good reading. A few things you may want to look at:

:48.5   seemed an unpropitious opening of the new year. “ unpropitious is 'usually' prounced :ŭn′prə-pĭsh′əs, with the 't' silent. Again, if this is the way it is regionally pronounced in your area, then, of course, you can leave it. Your call.

:53 The rebels next invaded Maryland and Pennsylvania, again you said Penn-sla-vania.

3:13 that from these honored dead we take increased devotion You added the word 'may' between 'we' and 'take'.

9:59.5 The following exceptions only were made You said exemptions

10:04.5 The persons excepted Exemptions again.

One small comment. One thing that many people don't realize is that all the 'speeches' etc. of Lincoln's we read, he wrote, as opposed to the Presidents of our day who have teams of speech writers who still can't match the work of Lincoln's own mind. Many years ago I read a book "Lincoln in His Own Words". I was a collection of many of his writings and showed how eloquent this back-woods Kentucky 'hick' became. A great read.

Wayne
Thank you! An updated version is now ready (21:43):

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

BrandonB wrote: August 26th, 2022, 2:54 pm Thank you! An updated version is now ready (21:43):

Section 12 is PLOK :thumbs: , hence the entire book is PLOK :thumbs:

Great job. I really enjoyed listening to your rendition of this book. Keep up the good work.

Now I think Sonia can do her magic. :lol:

Wayne
Wayne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hey great job you guys :clap: it went very smoothly from day one. So everything is PL ok ? The final section section is still on Spot PL :hmm:

Just waiting for Brandon's confirmation that his initial summary is the way he likes it after he has read the book. Then I'll launch cataloguing.

Sonia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:oops: :oops: OOPS :oops: :oops:

MW now lists all as PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne