[COMPLETE] SOLO The Later Life by Louis Couperus -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapters 22, 23 and 25 are corrected and ready for spot PL. I have also fixed the sound quality on Chapters 23-25. Not so far to go now!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

22-25 spot PL OK!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Chapter 27 ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/laterlife_27_couperus_128kb.mp3 - 13:50

I have also made some small changes to the summary and that will be the final version.

I now realise why I wasn't sure what happened in this book. It was because nothing much does happen, if you leave out Constance's inner growth. Van Naghel's death and Louise and Frans running away pop up in the middle of the book, but without much consequence, as yet. I am looking forward to the Twilight of the Souls, when we get back to the action!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist

Whoops, saw the first one come in but not the second. Chapter 27 is PL OK.

Double checking now whether you wanted to hyphenate the bits in bold in the new summary:
"turn of the century Dutch aristocracy" and "her twenty year exile"
Newgatenovelist

Two notes for chapter 28:

1.57-2.02, mid-page p 290
...he flung himself beside [heard behind] him, laid his head on the boy’s knees.

6.23-6.26, top para p 293
...rubbed his neck [heard head], which was stiff with lying down.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapter 29 Ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/laterlife_29_couperus_128kb.mp3 - 16:21

I have added those hyphens to the summary, but I'm hoping to finish the editing tomorrow morning, so I'll leave the corrections to 28 for when you are finished with all of the chapters. One longish and one short one to go!
Newgatenovelist

Notes for chapter 29:

2.44-2.46, bottom third p 304, alternate take
Her love, [Her love,] that late love, had been...

2.58-3.03, bottom third p 304, self-correction
...lasted years, [in the slow falling of the years] in the slow falling of the days, which, like beads...

14.42-14.47, p 311 mid-page
A cool breath drifted straight out of the sultry, louring clouds...
See the second definition (adjective) for the pronunciation (this is a variant spelling)
https://www.lexico.com/definition/lowering

It looks like there is news: the OED-based site, as of later this month, will redirect to dictionary.com. I’ve just had a quick check to see how it currently stacks up, with lour/lower (https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lour). The good news is there is a little tab in blue along the top of the definition that says ‘British’ and takes you to ‘BRITISH DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS FOR LOUR’. I can only assume this means the OED. The bad news is that there is an IPA pronunciation but no button where you can press play to hear it (the very RP one, I mean, though that option is available at the top, US, definition). The ‘press play’ pronunciations I’ve sampled all sound computer generated to my ears. I am assuming that we would both prefer to stick to UK pronunciations where available. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that my IPA has holes in it on a good day, and I don’t want to assume that yours is any better. The site itself says that ‘Dictionary.com’s main, proprietary source is the Random House Unabridged Dictionary’, so it at least seems like it’s based on a published, quality-controlled source. Have a very quick poke around the site and see what you make of it. I can always try the Cambridge site or Howjsay if you prefer for future notes, and I think we have options if one or both of us ends up not being keen on dictionary.com. No lie, though, this has blown a hole in my toolkit.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yes, I keep mixing those two up - lowering/louring sky - one sounds the way it is spelled and the other doesn't - but which one! Why does English have to be so difficult?

On dictionary.com (whoever that is?), it seems that they have always owned lexico.com, which was a collaboration with OUP, whereas dictionary.com is a collaboration with Random House. So I guess they are just combining these. But I also noticed that they list the source under the entry - so that the source for 'lour' is Collins, which must be yet another partner!

I am happy as long as the pronunciations are UK. I suppose that will always mean RP, but there's not much we can do about that!

Remaining tow chapters will be up tomorrow - I need to re-record a couple of short sections.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

I see what you mean now. I looked up a few words and dictionary.com seems to default to American and using machine pronunciation. Have you tried Collins?
https://www.collinsdictionary.com

As a printed dictionary, Collins has more words than other British dictionaries (except the OED of course)
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Here we go! Chapters 30 and 31 ready for PL, and Chapters 28 and 29 corrected and ready for spot PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/laterlife_30_couperus_128kb.mp3 - 25:54
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/laterlife_31_couperus_128kb.mp3 - 06:53

We finish off with yet more Constance talking to herself. I fear listeners will get tired of my Constance voice, which is okay in small doses but difficult to keep up for half a chapter...

I've also re-uploaded Chapter 1 with a small correction to the metadata - I don't know if that will show up for you, but if it does, I think you can ignore it.
Newgatenovelist

1, 28, 29 are spot PL OK.

Thanks for the reminder on Collins, I've not used them in a while. Although if I'm using it correctly I've just encountered four or five conflicting pronunciations with the OED for one word. What a mysterious language English is.
Newgatenovelist

30 and 31 are PL OK and this is ready for the catalogue!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

:thumbs:
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Yeahhhh!!! :9: :9: :9:

I am going straight on with recording Twilight of the Souls, but it may be a while before I post (the first chapter is almost 40 pages long!).

Meanwhile I have recorded, and mostly edited, the last few stories in the Gaskell collection - Erin, I'll PM you when I post them.