[Complete] Daddy Takes Us To The Garden by Howard R. Garis - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur »

lomond wrote: June 30th, 2022, 3:17 am Greetings -

Three more chapters (5, 6, and 7) have been awarded the prestigious title of PL OK.

They are all easy to listen to.

My first job in the garden when I was nine was picking the potato bugs off the leaves. I think it made me feel important to be doing it.

The sandman is making his presence known and a large padded horizontal surface beckons from the bedroom, so I will get to the other three chapters later today.

Lomond
Thanks Lomond, and I appreciate you sharing you're own daddy experience. Some earlier chapters I'm redoing to redo the voices a bit, then reuploaded - if you've already PL ok'd it, the only thing that will have changed is the character's voice.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Please do not edit chapters after they are PL'd, unless there are corrections needed. This would require the DPL to redo their work, and that is not fair to them.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Laur

Post by Laur »

m8b1 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:01 am Please do not edit chapters after they are PL'd, unless there are corrections needed. This would require the DPL to redo their work, and that is not fair to them.
Wow!! OK!...It is only the voice (with a pitch change), not the time, words, or anything else. I guess that's why I voluntarily told him that. Chapter 8, which is not up and wasn't PL'd yet should not be an issue. The others (9-11) already done.
Last edited by Laur on June 30th, 2022, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

If you are re-recording something, that means there could be some errors. The DPL would need to listen to it. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Laur

Post by Laur »

Nothing prior was re-recorded. One's that hadn't been PL'd had a change in the character pitch. However, your instructions are noted. Like I said, it's a non-issue, the only one that is being worked on is Chapter 8 which is not PL'd. I would hate to be unfair.
Laur

Post by Laur »

Ok Lomond - Chapter 8 has been posted, and all my narration parts are finished barring anything that needs attention in a PL. It's been my pleasure working with you on this project.
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

The end of the text is published like this -
And now, as the children's garden is finished, and all the vegetables are safely put away for the Winter, this book comes to an end. But there will be another soon, which I hope you will like. And, for a time, I'll say "good-bye!"
THE END

The next volume in this series will be called: "Daddy Takes Us To The Farm."
Should I read 'The next volume in this series...." or stop after 'THE END' ?
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
Laur

Post by Laur »

Doug42 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 4:08 pm The end of the text is published like this -
And now, as the children's garden is finished, and all the vegetables are safely put away for the Winter, this book comes to an end. But there will be another soon, which I hope you will like. And, for a time, I'll say "good-bye!"
THE END

The next volume in this series will be called: "Daddy Takes Us To The Farm."
Should I read 'The next volume in this series...." or stop after 'THE END' ?
Hi Doug,
Please stop at "The End". Thanks.
lomond

Post by lomond »

Laur wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:50 am Ok Lomond - Chapter 8 has been posted, and all my narration parts are finished barring anything that needs attention in a PL. It's been my pleasure working with you on this project.
Greetings -

Here are some notes on Chapters 8, 9, 10, and 11:

Chapter 8:

TIME: 08:56 TEXT: "said they could almost SEE the things growing." COMMENT: Reading has the words "almost SEE" reversed to "SEE almost".

Chapters 9,10, and 11 are PL OK.

Lomond
Laur

Post by Laur »

lomond wrote: July 4th, 2022, 9:34 pm
Laur wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:50 am Ok Lomond - Chapter 8 has been posted, and all my narration parts are finished barring anything that needs attention in a PL. It's been my pleasure working with you on this project.
Greetings -

Here are some notes on Chapters 8, 9, 10, and 11:

Chapter 8:

TIME: 08:56 TEXT: "said they could almost SEE the things growing." COMMENT: Reading has the words "almost SEE" reversed to "SEE almost".

Chapters 9,10, and 11 are PL OK.

Lomond
Hi Lomond, I have worked and worked on the phrase and words to match the rest of the recording. Unfortunately, I can't make it sound right. It's terrible, much worse than the problem "almost see" to "see almost".
As the BC of the project, I was told I can make a ruling on something like this, and I say let this one go and PL OK it... it is not significant enough of an error to change any meaning to the phrase, and I would think everyone would get the gist of the statement. I'm not striving for "word perfect" PL thankfully, (as I'm sure there are other similar things probably in these chapters), but in this case, I would have to re-record the whole chapter to make this right.
Further note, since recording this project, I have better learned to set sound settings in Audacity that make the sound much better through-out the entire audio from start to finish. (Unfortunately, prior to that, I was given some bad advice and that's part of the problem here...I tried, but can't duplicate it).
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I agree, it doesn't change the meaning of the text. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
lomond

Post by lomond »

Laur wrote: July 5th, 2022, 2:12 pm
lomond wrote: July 4th, 2022, 9:34 pm
Laur wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:50 am

Hi Lomond, I have worked and worked on the phrase and words to match the rest of the recording. Unfortunately, I can't make it sound right. It's terrible, much worse than the problem "almost see" to "see almost".
As the BC of the project, I was told I can make a ruling on something like this, and I say let this one go and PL OK it... it is not significant enough of an error to change any meaning to the phrase, and I would think everyone would get the gist of the statement. I'm not striving for "word perfect" PL thankfully, (as I'm sure there are other similar things probably in these chapters), but in this case, I would have to re-record the whole chapter to make this right.
Further note, since recording this project, I have better learned to set sound settings in Audacity that make the sound much better through-out the entire audio from start to finish. (Unfortunately, prior to that, I was given some bad advice and that's part of the problem here...I tried, but can't duplicate it).
Greetings -

No problem.

My job is to point out things that might need attention and leave it up to the reader/BC/MC to make final decisions. So, don't worry. If you want to leave things as they are, I won't take it personally. :D :D

Now marked as PL OK.

Waiting for Chapter 12.

My dad did part time work for a man who had a corn patch and a melon patch. When I was a lad, I would help him pick the corn. I would hold the gunnysack and he would pick the ears and drop them into the sack. When there was three bakers' dozen ears in the sack, I would carry it out of the patch and empty it in the shade of a tree. We would pick 30-40 dozen ears which the owner would take to the produce stand. The last dozen was for us and before we headed home, we would go out to the melon patch and pick us a melon (casaba or Crenshaw) and head home. Mom would have the water boiling when we would get there. We would take the previous melon out of the fridge and put in the freshly picked one. What a special thing it was to sit at the table and eat fresh corn and ice-cold melon with your dad.

Lomond
Laur

Post by Laur »

Thanks Lomond -
That is a great story you told, and I'm sure a precious memory. Farm life is grand for youngsters to experience, (and us "oldersters" (made that word up...no need to PL :lol: ), to have such fond memories.)
It is my hope that this book will land in the hands of both to enjoy.
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

Oh, I just can't resist.... Finally, the LAST !!!

It is 21:42 long. As usual, let me know what needs fixing - besides dinner!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/daddygarden_12_gareis_128k.mp3

*** Doug
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
Laur

Post by Laur »

Doug42 wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:55 pm Oh, I just can't resist.... Finally, the LAST !!!

It is 21:42 long. As usual, let me know what needs fixing - besides dinner!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/daddygarden_12_gareis_128k.mp3

*** Doug
Yahooooooo! Happy Dance!!! Thank you!😎