[COMPLETE][SOLO][Children]Ten Boys Who Lived on the Road from Long Ago to Now by Jane Andrews - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Thanks so much, Sonia. I would LOVE to go to Greece (and / or Italy!) some day. My husband is Turkish, and I have been there, and seen some of the old ruins, but not any big ones like Olympia.

I have fallen a little behind on this project, as I was in the garden planting rush there for a while, but will try to pick up the pace a bit this month. :)

I have uploaded chapter 5, and am ready to edit chapter 6. Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tenboys_06_andrews_128kb.mp3
39:58
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

virgyneville wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:06 pmMy husband is Turkish, and I have been there, and seen some of the old ruins, but not any big ones like Olympia.
ah Turkey, also fondly remembered from another long car trip :9: We went all the way to Hattusha, my sister is a lot into those old civilizations, so we needed to see that along the way, also Catal Hüyük, and of course the Greek towns in the west, like Pergamon for example. Then we also spent two days in Istanbul, Ankara of course, Konya, and we saw the springs of Pamukkale...and more besides. And we slept one night in a cave hotel. It was really a great trip. 8-)
I have fallen a little behind on this project, as I was in the garden planting rush there for a while, but will try to pick up the pace a bit this month. :)
yes the weather is excellent for outdoor activities right now, so I can understand you. Well, as long as you keep in contact every few weeks, all is well. There is no stress with deadlines in a solo.
I have uploaded chapter 5, and am ready to edit chapter 6. Thank you!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tenboys_06_andrews_128kb.mp3
another super cool story and I remember the poem of Horatio who kept the bridge so well, I read it for LV in one project :lol:

Just two bigger cuts to be made:

> at 26:47: (p. 102) repetition of 4 lines, one version can get cut: "So the boys played senate... [till] ...and brought him home in triumph"
> at 27:09: (p. 103) repetition of 3 lines, one version can get cut: "the ides of Quintilis... [till] ...with their olive crowns"

the rest perfect :thumbs:

thanks

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Wow, it sounds like you explored a lot of Turkey, and went to some really iconic places! Was the cave hotel in Capadocia? We didn't get to travel around too much, spent most of our time around Adana, where my husband is from, so that we could be close to his parents, whom he hadn't seen for a few years. I got a great feel for the culture though, and really enjoyed my time there, not least of all the wonderful food in that country. :) I'm also fascinated by ancient civilizations and such, so hopefully I will be able to explore more of the ancient ruins etc next time we go.

I have just uploaded a new chapter, and also made the changes to the last one. Please let me know if anything needs to be fixed in the new one. Will try to work on more asap. Thanks so much!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

virgyneville wrote: July 14th, 2022, 8:10 pmWas the cave hotel in Capadocia?
yes it was, I think this region is famous for those caves
We didn't get to travel around too much, spent most of our time around Adana
ah we did not get as far as Adana, we "turned around" at Keyseri to start the home-trip. But there we saw Adana on roadsigns already.

Section 6 is Spot PL ok.

One cut for Section 7:

> at 11:23: (p. 126) repeat, one version can get cut: "go in to thy grandfather, now, said the mother."

A short note as well on some rustling (maybe paper ?) underlying some spots. While you may not have to correct it this time unless you wish, maybe best be careful not too handle any paper too close to the microphone. Or if you have to turn a page or something, don't read while you do that, and cut out the rustling part later in the editing phase. Because if the rustling is over the spoken part, it's impossible to cut out.

Two spots so you see what I mean:
> at 12:26: (p. 126) rustling at "will you go with your uncle my boy"
> at 23:01: (p. 135) rustling at "for their name"

Great chapter. I studied medieval English at university, so now come an interesting few chapters for me. :mrgreen:

Thank you

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Hi Sonia,

I'm sorry I've been out of touch. We were away, and then we had covid, and now we got a puppy! But I am still working on this project. I had some trouble with the last chapter I recorded, I think I thought my mic was plugged in, but somehow it seems to have recorded with the internal mic on the laptop (maybe I didn't plug the mic in before opening audacity or something like that), so I'm having to redo that one...

And I'm not sure what happened with the crackling sounds on the last recording. I didn't have any paper around, so again, really not sure, but I'll try to be more vigiliant in the future to go back and listen after recording 5-10 mins to make sure everything sounds okay before moving on with these longish chapters. I'm still quite new to recording here on librivox so every "failure" like these is a good learning opportunity, and teaches me what not to do in the future so that I will become more efficient and won't have to redo things anymore.

Working on getting Chapter 7 re-recorded now, but the puppy makes noise when he is awake and playing, and I think I may have to set up my mic etc in a different part of the house now that we have him... Anyway I just wanted to check in to let you know that I still very much intend to finish the project, so that you don't think I've abandoned it or anything like that. Will be back in touch soon with the correction for Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 on its way as well.

Hope you've been having a good summer, thank you so much!

Virginia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

virgyneville wrote: August 24th, 2022, 4:49 amI'm sorry I've been out of touch. We were away, and then we had covid, and now we got a puppy!
ok I see you have been busy. And a new pet is always excitement in the house. You will not have much recording quiet now :lol:
I thought my mic was plugged in, but somehow it seems to have recorded with the internal mic on the laptop (maybe I didn't plug the mic in before opening audacity or something like that), so I'm having to redo that one...
yes that happens to me sometimes. I notice when I watch the Audacity waves, they look different when it's a good microphone (compared to the internal one). And yes you have to plug it in before you launch Audacity and then search it in the drop-down menu next to the microphone icon

I hope the chapter was not too long to re-record
Working on getting Chapter 7 re-recorded now
wait, you want chapter 7 re-recorded ? because of the crackling ? It was not too disturbing, so you could let it stand like that. So much work ! But of course it's as you wish. But don't think I insist on it.
I just wanted to check in to let you know that I still very much intend to finish the project, so that you don't think I've abandoned it or anything like that.
thank you, that is very thoughtful. Yes a bimonthly update is helpful for us mods to see that the reader is still around and interested.

Have a good day, and yes, my summer vacation was nice, although reaching its end soon.

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

I think chapter 6 (the one about Wulf) is the one with the crackling. I did not re record that one, will just fix the little mistakes you caught.

The one I’m having to re record is chapter 7 (Gilbert) because I don’t think the mic was plugged in. That’s a good tip to watch the sound waves, you’re right they were a lot shorter this time.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

virgyneville wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:15 pmThe one I’m having to re record is chapter 7 (Gilbert) because I don’t think the mic was plugged in.
ah ok I got mixed up with the section numbering ;) you're right.
That’s a good tip to watch the sound waves, you’re right they were a lot shorter this time.
mine are much more erratic when the internal mic is on so I notice right away. In time you will get a feeling for it all. You "know" your waves.

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Kitty wrote: July 14th, 2022, 11:49 pm
virgyneville wrote: July 14th, 2022, 8:10 pmWas the cave hotel in Capadocia?
yes it was, I think this region is famous for those caves
We didn't get to travel around too much, spent most of our time around Adana
ah we did not get as far as Adana, we "turned around" at Keyseri to start the home-trip. But there we saw Adana on roadsigns already.

Section 6 is Spot PL ok.

One cut for Section 7:

> at 11:23: (p. 126) repeat, one version can get cut: "go in to thy grandfather, now, said the mother."

A short note as well on some rustling (maybe paper ?) underlying some spots. While you may not have to correct it this time unless you wish, maybe best be careful not too handle any paper too close to the microphone. Or if you have to turn a page or something, don't read while you do that, and cut out the rustling part later in the editing phase. Because if the rustling is over the spoken part, it's impossible to cut out.

Two spots so you see what I mean:
> at 12:26: (p. 126) rustling at "will you go with your uncle my boy"
> at 23:01: (p. 135) rustling at "for their name"

Great chapter. I studied medieval English at university, so now come an interesting few chapters for me. :mrgreen:

Thank you

Sonia
Hi Sonia,

I have uploaded the corrected Section 7.
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Hi again,

Section 8 is also uploaded now. Here is the link it's 37:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/tenboys_08_andrews_128kb.mp3

Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay another medieval chapter. :9: I felt transported back to my Robin-Hood stories from childhood. Another excellent narration and both chapters are PL ok now.

thanks, and have a nice Sunday still

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Good morning Sonia,

Chapter 10 is ready for PL, 23:55. I have chapters 8 and 9 recorded, just need to edit them, will be getting to that soon. Thank you!

Virginia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Chapter 9 also uploaded, 19:10. Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay looking forward to more stories. 8-) I will listen to them tomorrow. But the links are in the wrong section slot I think :hmm:

Sonia
virgyneville

Post by virgyneville »

Kitty wrote: September 20th, 2022, 6:11 am yay looking forward to more stories. 8-) I will listen to them tomorrow. But the links are in the wrong section slot I think :hmm:

Sonia
I think it’s okay, it’s just that the section numbers don’t line up with the chapter numbers bc of a mistake I made in the beginning… this is my first solo project and if I remember correctly I didn’t know that the preface would be section 00 so I was going to call that 01 and chapter 1 became section 2… could that be the problem?