[COMPLETE]The Honour of the Gout by Philander Misaurus - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alister

Post by Alister »

The Honour of the Gout, by Philander Misaurus

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-honour-of-the-gout-by-philander-misaurus//

Link to proposed cover image
(Text is Gothicus Alternate and 1741 Financiere licensed from MyFonts or else vectorized from book; Gout Demon vectorized from this 1835 Public Domain etching; foreground figures inspired by but not a direct copy of this CC Attribution work from 1795.)
This droll and 'enflammatory' pamphelet is a revelatory Worke of musing upon a Great aflicktion of Man, upon the better nature of that Great aflicktion, and upon the "Vainest and most Mischievous Cheats" who affeckt to cure it.

The gauntlet here so-toss'd by Philander Misaurus, adornment of the Age and esteem'd Person of Quality, was later pick'd up by surgeon John Marten in his rejoinder, titled by the name–The Dishonour of the Gout. Which seeketh to shew all minds swayed by Philander's prettie words that—with no question—Gout is misfortune.

(Summary by Alister)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/b30773520/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-09-22

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: IS8df3mV
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 8 (To be delineated by the alphabetical printers marks 'A' through 'H' at page bottoms)
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): Before 1699 (https://wellcomecollection.org/works/gx9q2nza)
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Humor; *Non-fiction/Medical; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: Illness, Medicine, Malpractice, Gout, Inflammation, Arthritis, Quackery, Pain

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Honour of the Gout. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Honour of the Gout, by Philander Misaurus. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Honour of the Gout, by Philander Misaurus. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Honour of the Gout, by Philander Misaurus."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: honourofthegout_##_misaurus_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. honourofthegout_01_misaurus_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Alister on September 16th, 2022, 5:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

If you are looking for a DPL, as one who has had the dubious pleasure of having had gout, I'm willing to do it.

M
Alister

Post by Alister »

mleigh wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:50 am If you are looking for a DPL, as one who has had the dubious pleasure of having had gout, I'm willing to do it.

M
Buyer beware, I'm going to try and sound like the smug, self-satisfied prick lobbing hand grenades and pulling beards which I suspect the author to be :twisted:. It may end up being a hate-listen for you :!:.

That said, if your willing to do it. I'd be glad to have you :D.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can set this up for you - back soon.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done. I need to go out and it is being a bit slow finishing things, so don't worry if it doesn't look right - I will check when I get back .

Anne
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Alister wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 2:02 pm
mleigh wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 10:50 am If you are looking for a DPL, as one who has had the dubious pleasure of having had gout, I'm willing to do it.

M
Buyer beware, I'm going to try and sound like the smug, self-satisfied prick lobbing hand grenades and pulling beards which I suspect the author to be :twisted:. It may end up being a hate-listen for you :!:.

That said, if your willing to do it. I'd be glad to have you :D.
I'm game. Let's go for it. 😀
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Alistair
just a note re covers. The BC/soloist is able to preclaim a cover for their project - which normally is done in the covers thread in the "Volunteers Wanted - other LV projects forum". Otherwise as soon as it is catalogued and it's a case of first in best dressed. But as the person over there I will preclaim it for you - but next time if you want to make one preclaim it for safety/
As you haven't had MW access before ....
You will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here is another document that explains how to keep the MW up to date etc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/

any problems just ask.
And I think the image is fantastic :D :D

Anne
Alister

Post by Alister »

mleigh wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 5:54 pm I'm game. Let's go for it. 😀
Great :)

I'd like to start recording tomorrow, but. . . my throat and nose have been a persistent menace this last week. I've managed a couple of short recordings by brute forcing it with takes until I was satisfied. Damn the sniffles and full steam ahead. So. . . maybe that will happen. But if it doesn't, definitely I will start Soonᵀᴹ, because I'm pretty eager :).
annise wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:27 pm
just a note re covers. The BC/soloist is able to preclaim a cover for their project - which normally is done in the covers thread in the "Volunteers Wanted - other LV projects forum". Otherwise as soon as it is catalogued and it's a case of first in best dressed. But as the person over there I will preclaim it for you - but next time if you want to make one preclaim it for safety/
As you haven't had MW access before ....
You will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here is another document that explains how to keep the MW up to date etc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/
Thanks; Yeah I missed that entirely. Good to know and thanks for the links.

And my compliments for the librarian jiu-jitsu pulling together that author page so well, so quickly.

annise wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 7:27 pm And I think the image is fantastic :D :D
Ever tried out Inkscape? Totally worth a look in if you've never tried it and you do a lot a graphics work. It is free and quite powerful. *Spruik* *Spruik*

Vector is particularly useful if you want to pull out elements from the source material and incorporate them.
Alister

Post by Alister »

For reference, as near as I can tell, this is the greek on page iii.
τε νoμα υς τεχoην μεταμειψατε

Te noma us techoēn metameipsate
or
Te noma us tekhoēn metameipsate
I suspect it is either really rotten transcription or really rotten Greek (if it can called that) but if so, that's fine! It I butcher it, I will only be doubling down on the twaddle. Pretension is best when done wrong.

Though it could be related to the old system of polytonic orthography... hmm.
Alister

Post by Alister »

I'll just leave this here for the moment.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/honourofthegout_00_misaurus_128kb.mp3 (5.55)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - I've reset things and it should all work now. I've added this one just to show you how - sometimes seeing things helps - you do need to enter the section titles though. If you need another section you have an option to, you can't delete one though

Anne
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I loved it. What a great start.

The only change needed is to add between 1 and 2 seconds of silence at the end.

Looking forward to hearing more - your accent and style was so much fun to listen to.

M
Alister

Post by Alister »

annise wrote: June 26th, 2022, 3:28 am OK - I've reset things and it should all work now. I've added this one just to show you how - sometimes seeing things helps - you do need to enter the section titles though. If you need another section you have an option to, you can't delete one though

Anne
All working now. Thanks, Anne :D :D

I'll have to think very carefully before doing that. Maybe see how long it runs when I reach the halfway point of the text.
mleigh wrote: June 26th, 2022, 1:30 pm I loved it. What a great start.

Looking forward to hearing more - your accent and style was so much fun to listen to.

M
I'll get right on that :thumbs:

I may do some other short works in future, affecting accents, but it is a lot of work to get it even half-way right. Fun trying though! In this case, given the delicious source material, it seemed an absolute scandalous waste not to swing for the fences and breath some extra life into it :D
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Alister wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:35 am
annise wrote: June 26th, 2022, 3:28 am OK - I've reset things and it should all work now. I've added this one just to show you how - sometimes seeing things helps - you do need to enter the section titles though. If you need another section you have an option to, you can't delete one though

Anne
All working now. Thanks, Anne :D :D

I'll have to think very carefully before doing that. Maybe see how long it runs when I reach the halfway point of the text.
mleigh wrote: June 26th, 2022, 1:30 pm I loved it. What a great start.

M
I'll get right on that :thumbs:

I may do some other short works in future, affecting accents, but it is a lot of work to get it even half-way right. Fun trying though! In this case, given the delicious source material, it seemed an absolute scandalous waste not to swing for the fences and breath some extra life into it :D
PL OK. And, you've definitely got the voice right for this one.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Still working on it! I live :!: