COMPLETE: The Man With The Black Feather by Gaston Leroux - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi,
Please find Chapter 4 Adolphe Lecamus is Flabbergasted but Frank ready for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_04_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! I did Chapter 3 yesterday, but didn't note it in the MW. That one is PL OK :thumbs:

quite the interesting story!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And chapter 4 is PL OK :thumbs:

Somewhat ironic that the person who suggests that his former character had been evil was named Adolphe. (even though it has that E on the end) 8-)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi Lynette, would you be able to find the time to give Chpt 1 & 3 another listen please? I've re-recorded parts I was unhappy with. It would be good to know I haven't missed anything if you have time.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_01_leroux_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_03_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sure, Adrian, I've got them queued. Several long files came in today, so if I don't get these finished tomorrow, it'll be Friday at the latest :)

Is there something in particular you didn't like about them that I can keep in mind for you on future chapters?
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Well what happened was Theophrastus has a different voice when he’s possessed by the Other in this story. On those occasions in Chapters 1 & 3, I altered the pitch of my voice electronically using Audacity. But when I listened back to it, I didn’t like it. It sounded too electronic, a bit gimmicky. So I’ve re-recorded over those parts with my usual voice 😀 I think those chapters are okay now.
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

So sorry! I sorely underestimated how much this syndrome is affected by storm fronts, and I've been struggling with symptoms as much the past three days as I was 2 months ago. Which is cutting into most of my LV time. Chapter 1 is PL OK, and I'm partway through ch. 3. Hope to finish it today. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And the changes in Ch. 3 are good, too PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi Lynette, I'm sorry you're not feeling good. I hope things settle down soon for you. How did you get this? Is it like vertigo? If you need to give this one up I'd completely understand of course, but would hate to lose you.

There are another couple of chapters ready for PL :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_05_leroux_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_06_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: June 26th, 2022, 12:01 pm And the changes in Ch. 3 are good, too PL OK :thumbs:
Thanks for the thumbs up on these, I felt they were all right but 2 sheeps heads are better than one - old English expression :D
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Super, I've got these queued. :)

No, I don't need to drop this project. Non-dramatic projects are easy for me to PL - I just can't "work" longer than 15 minutes stretches on bad days.

This is kinda-sorta like vertigo. You don't get dizzy, but it feels like the whole world is a cruise ship. Sometimes it's minor, like the ship is parked in a calm harbor. Other times (like this weekend), it's like it's flipping around crazily in a violent hurricane. The brain loses the ability to correctly process visual and tactile sensory input, so you get an autism-type mental incapacity going. Oddly it doesn't affect language capability unless it's outrageously bad.

It's not known exactly what causes it. There are a couple places in the brain that "run" the oculo-vestibular reflex and re-establishes your equilibrium after you've been in a passive-movement event. So this syndrome arises when a person has had trauma to one or more of those brain centers (stroke, viral - most likely the long-Covid I had for 9 monthsin my case), and then you do something like the week-long cruise we went on with my father the first week of March, and when you get back on stable land, your brain cannot recover. It just gets worse over a few weeks, and you have to re-code your brain to interpret the visual and tactile senses correctly again. Takes 6-9 months to do that. And while the brain can create new pathways to re-learn walking and feeling a stable world again, the mechanism to re-establish equilibrium is forever broken. So cruises, roler coasters, long train rides, overseas flights, escalators, and elevators are all problematic and likely to kick off the acute condition all over again.

It's rather annoying, but it is what it is. I get better each week, with setbacks like this happening every so often.
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Never heard of this before. So glad (touch wood) I haven't had COVID. Glad you're going to recover, in time!

Here's Chapter 7 ready for PL https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_07_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Adrian! Chapters 5, 6, and 7 are all PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

These are all great. I have one constructive input thought: On the next chapter, what happens if you try lengthening the pause period just a smidge on that editing effect? Nothing is bad in the least at present, and certainly none of the finished chapters need to be edited, but every once in a while, it feels like there could be a little more gap between paragraph type pauses. It's the kind of thing someone only catches when they're paying particular attention to editing details, so most audiobook listeners would never notice. Just thought I'd pass on a polishing detail that might be enhanced a bit.
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Love your constructive input :D Test this next one for size. I've attenuated use of the plug-in on this one
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_08_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi Lynette,

Here's another chapter for PL. If there are any problems with the silences please let me know.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/manwiththeblackfeather_09_leroux_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian