[COMPLETE][mystery]The Apartment Next Door by William Johnston - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

The Apartment Next Door, by William Johnston (1871-1929)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/apartment-next-door-by-william-johnston/

Abandoned solo resurrected as group project
Jane Strong witnessed two men chasing each other in the middle of the night; then heard a gunshot. The man who came back was none other but the tenant next door. The next day, Jane reads that the man, who chased the tenant, had committed suicide. Now, she alone knows that it was a murder. The United States Government has recruited her to help them catch the murderer. The question is: Did he kill him? (summary by SaraHale)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11240

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of The Apartment Next Door.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Apartment Next Door, by William Johnston.
Chapter Number and Title." (see MW for full title)
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Apartment Next Door, by William Johnston."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: apartmentnextdoor_##_johnston_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. apartmentnextdoor_01_johnston_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by SaraHale on June 18th, 2022, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Might I be your DPL unless you've already got one?

Thanks,

M
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mleigh wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:38 pm Might I be your DPL unless you've already got one?

Thanks,

M
Yes, please. Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy the book. :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Sarah, I can MC this. MW coming up soon

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mleigh wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:38 pmMight I be your DPL unless you've already got one?
I have given you access as DPL. Please be aware that Sarah wanted Word Perfect PLing.

So the MW is up and ready to be filled in. I'll wait until you've both seen this then I'll move us to Going Solo, since the team is complete.

Happy recording

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: June 19th, 2022, 12:34 am Hi Sarah, I can MC this. MW coming up soon

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia. :9:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Kitty wrote: June 19th, 2022, 12:42 am
mleigh wrote: June 18th, 2022, 6:38 pmMight I be your DPL unless you've already got one?
I have given you access as DPL. Please be aware that Sarah wanted Word Perfect PLing.

So the MW is up and ready to be filled in. I'll wait until you've both seen this then I'll move us to Going Solo, since the team is complete.

Happy recording

Sonia
Thank you,

M
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, the team is complete, MW filled out, we can move to Going Solo.

Have fun, you two. Sounds like an interesting plot.

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote: June 19th, 2022, 10:41 pm all right, the team is complete, MW filled out, we can move to Going Solo.

Have fun, you two. Sounds like an interesting plot.

Sonia

Thanks, Sonia. It is.

I'll start uploading the chapter(s) over the weekend.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi, Mleigh (is it okay to call you that?)

Chapter 1 is ready for your PL. It has been a while since I recorded something so I did one chapter. I'll upload more tomorrow because I can record during the weekends.

Thanks!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

SaraHale wrote: June 25th, 2022, 2:59 am Hi, Mleigh (is it okay to call you that?)

Chapter 1 is ready for your PL. It has been a while since I recorded something so I did one chapter. I'll upload more tomorrow because I can record during the weekends.

Thanks!
Mleigh is perfectly fine with me. :)

You are off to a most exciting start with this book. Here are the places where it is not word perfect. They are all relatively minor.

1:05 text reads "the sound in little staccato beats", you have an extra "the" in "the sound in the little staccato beats"
1:43 text reads "and the distance-dimmed lights" I hear "and the distant-dimmed lights"
1:48 text reads "like great silhouettes", I hear "like gray silhouettes" (I wasn't sure if I should flag this one as my "t's" tend to fade out at the end of words, but decided to give you the option.)
5:41 text reads "were most of them fighting" I hear "were almost all of them fighting"
6:14 text reads "petted daughter of well-to-do parents" I hear "petted daughter of a well-to-do parents"
7:25 text reads "In tense expectation she waited" I hear "In intense expectation she waited"
17:26 text reads "in her memory the satanic expression" what I hear is "stanic" missing a syllable satanic"

Thanks,

M
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mleigh wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:42 pm Mleigh is perfectly fine with me. :)

You are off to a most exciting start with this book. Here are the places where it is not word perfect. They are all relatively minor.

Thanks,

M
That's great!

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it. Okay, I'll work on the corrections tomorrow. I have managed to record chapter 2 today.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

You are doing a really nice job of putting emotions into Jane's thoughts and comments.

Again, for chapter 2, these are mostly minor changes.

0:14 should read "even simulated interest", you have "even stimulated interest"
3:28 should read "had been one of the two" you have an extra "the" in it "had been the one of the two"
5:18 missing "an" in "was no place for an untrained girl"
6:09 extra "the" in "apartment house on the Riverside Drive"
6:29 extra "that" in "she supposed, that this man was some friend of her father"
9:25 extra "and" in "and Ask for Mr. Fleck."
11:31 text reads "I've two daughters of my own.", you have removed the contraction and say "I have"
11:47 text reads "and you'll end your usefulness." you have removed the contraction and say "you will"
11:57 text reads "He'll explain everything to you. Promise me you'll see him." you have removed the contractions and say "he will" and "you will"
12:17 text reads "vanishing speedily as if afraid" I hear "vanishing speedy as if afraid"
14:16 missing "it" in "no longer to submit to it"
17:05 text reads "there were no intimacies between mother and daughter", you have "there was no intimacies between mother and daughter."
18:11 text reads "paid my check we'll go." you have removed the contraction and say "we will"
19:11 missing "an" in "tea-time in an exclusive hotel."
19:47 text reads "hunted criminal fleeing from the law." I hear "hunted criminal fleeting from the law."
21:31 text reads "His flaxen hair was neatly trimmed." I hear "His flaxen hair was nearly trimmed."

M
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

mleigh wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:42 pm Here are the places where it is not word perfect. They are all relatively minor.

Thanks,

M
Hi, Mleigh! Here are the edited parts

1:03 - carried the sound in little staccato beats
1:43 - and the distance-dimmed lights
1:48 - there rose like great silhouettes
5:41 - were most of them fighting
6:13 - as the petted daughter of well-to-do parents
7:26 - In tense expectation she waited
17:27 - the satanic expression on the young man's face

I'll do chapter 2 tomorrow. Thanks for all you do! :9:
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

SaraHale wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:22 pm
mleigh wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:42 pm Here are the places where it is not word perfect. They are all relatively minor.

Thanks,

M
Hi, Mleigh! Here are the edited parts

1:03 - carried the sound in little staccato beats
1:43 - and the distance-dimmed lights
1:48 - there rose like great silhouettes
5:41 - were most of them fighting
6:13 - as the petted daughter of well-to-do parents
7:26 - In tense expectation she waited
17:27 - the satanic expression on the young man's face

I'll do chapter 2 tomorrow. Thanks for all you do! :9:
Sara -

Excellent job with the changes. I can't even tell there was editing in those spots. Chapter 1 is PL OK

Add, you are welcome.

Thanks,

M

THis is the first time I have PL'd anything other than standard. I am glad to have the opportunity as it is quite different.