[COMPLETE] The Kea: a New Zealand problem -- annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne and David --

So, do you still have the walnut tree Anne? Sounds like a spectacle to await every autumn. There is one next door, and it would be wonderful to see it covered in sulfur crested cockatoos (although the neighbours might think differently)! We already have to net our pears and peaches against much less aggressive birdies.

Anyway, Chapter 3 has now been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/keaanewzealandproblem_03_marriner_128kb.mp3
16:35.8, 89.1 dB

This section is about their favourite places and foods. These days the campaigns to get people to stop feeding keas seem to be working because they are still around but fewer are hanging out where people are, and those bad'uns are usually juveniles. However, I believe that kea still favour windscreen wipers, fast food and brightly coloured tents -- and they definitely perch in trees.

Cheers, and thanks for listening

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

3 PL OK!

I sometimes wonder if all that fast food causes health problems in birds.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Chapter 04 has been uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/keaanewzealandproblem_04_marriner_128kb.mp3
21:22.0, 90.2 dB

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Chapter 05 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/keaanewzealandproblem_05_marriner_128kb.mp3
19:18.8, 89.0 dB

The tales in this Chapter are as good as any that we have from our experiences in the high country. Keas aren't as plentiful as they were even 10 years ago, but hearing them calling from above as we are setting up our tent site still brings the questions -- will this be fun or damaging -- or will they go away? However, hearing them calling from above at 4:30 am just before sunrise is never good.....

Enjoy, but of course you will tell me of any errors.

Many thanks

Gail

PS. And today's fun kea fact-let. Apparently the Kaikoura Range keas will dig Hutton's Shearwater eggs or chicks out of their burrows high on the Kaikoura Range, and then have a meal. Hutton's Shearwater ("the world's only alpine breeding sea bird") is an endangered NZ endemic bird, but the keas don't do enough damage to threaten the population. That ignominy is reserved to feral pigs.
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We both have feral pigs but I don't think you have "the largest number of wild camels still living". And feral cats - great big things - and dogs. Don't mention the rabbits.

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

annise wrote: June 25th, 2022, 12:34 am We both have feral pigs but I don't think you have "the largest number of wild camels still living". And feral cats - great big things - and dogs. Don't mention the rabbits.

Anne
Yes, we missed out on the camels, and dogs aren’t too much of a problem, but we do have your beloved possums, and cats and bunnies too. I suspect that the same eejits that brought stoats etc here gave them to Australia too. Sigh. Are you well?
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've not heard that we have stoats, we do have cane toads though - they are poisonous to small marsupials who eat them. We have ringtail possums in our garden - which are cute - but the bigger bushy-tailed ones seem to have moved away.

Anne
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

5 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Chapter 06 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/keaanewzealandproblem_06_marriner_128kb.mp3
19:33.2 min, 90.2 dB

I found this chapter quite boring, and apologies in advance because the next one is really gory. I don't look forward to recording it.

Thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

6 PL OK!

Will protect my favorite stuffed animal (actually a puppet called Lamb Chop) before listening to the next chapter.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:29 pm 6 PL OK!

Will protect my favorite stuffed animal (actually a puppet called Lamb Chop) before listening to the next chapter.
Lamb Chop was my absolute favourite!! What was the female presenter named? Cherie something?
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Sheri Lewis. LC is not vintage, but a good friend and a reminder of times that seemed simpler.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Here's Chapter 07.

Not my favourite, and gruesome in its detail. It might be particularly hard for someone who is already afraid of birds to listen to. I wonder about a disclaimer?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/keaanewzealandproblem_07_marriner_128kb.mp3
24:01.3, 90.2 dB

Thanks for listening

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK!

A tad gory but as they weren't attacking a house pet, I didn't find it too unsettling.